Maglite with vented tail cap

moderator007

Enlightened
Does anyone know what this is. I have a led maglite and i don't see any difference in the incandescent one. This add has it in the description. Maybe its new.

I want to add this feature to a 1 D mag i built. Is there easy way to add this.
What do you guys do for a vent in a mag?

moderator007

Enlightened
No one knows what this add is referring to. Vented tail cap reduces chance of gas buildup.

EASTWOOD

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, but I haven't seen this feature in any mags around here. Can't tell anything different from the photo either. Not sure why it would hype a vented tailcap when it calls for 2D batteries. Anyone here ever have a destructive venting event with alkalines or Nimh cells?

moderator007

Enlightened
I dont know either. When you do a google search for maglite vented tail cap. You get all kinds of hits from sellers for AA mags plus some D's.
Even hits from maglite themselves. But no info or details as to what consist of.
I have read post where the switch cover popped off from venting or overheating alkaline batteries.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm assuming that the "vented tailcap" refers to the one-way gasket that Maglite uses on their lights, and has for many years, in place of where an o-ring would traditionally be on the tailcap.

moderator007

Enlightened
Hi carrot, when you say one-way gasket. What exactly are you referring too, the o-ring.:thinking:
This is the big D mag's i am refering too. Never seen anything but a o-ring.
Thanks!

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi carrot, when you say one-way gasket. What exactly are you referring too, the o-ring.:thinking:
This is the big D mag's i am refering too. Never seen anything but a o-ring.
Thanks!

I guess I haven't looked at my 3D mag too carefully. I assumed the gasket was the same as on the smaller, MiniMags.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
never seen anything but an o ring in d mags either, i think they just wright stuff that sounds good, common marketing trick.

moderator007

Enlightened
Maybe they designed the threads to give way with enough internal pressure, venting. I think it would too late by then. :poof::sick2:
If its a marketing pitch, what a good one.:shakehead

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i see no reason to redesign the cap, it was just fine for 30+years, switchcover will let any gas out, there planty of gaps between the switch and the tube for gases to go, not that alkaline cells known for that anyway,
i'm pretty sure it is a marketing b.s.

moderator007

Enlightened
I'm thinking of maybe cutting a small groove up the switch to the rubber cap hole. To help if something does try to go:poof:. Seems from what i have read in a 2 series cell light, that the first battery is generally the one that goes :poof:.
I think the stock switch is to air tight to vent much.
I have built mags with the xm-l leds. I custom make the heatsink. I make them fit tight but slides in fairly easy. I use thermal paste around the heatsink.
When i slide them down in the body. Some times the switch is so air tight that i have to slide it in about a 1/4 inch. Then wait for the compressed air to escape. Before i can slide it another 1/4. It will not just slide down without waiting for the air to escape. It does the same thing when i try to remove the heatsink. Makes a vacum.

This is what makes me think it will not let a high pressure gas out very quickly.

I have read post where the switch cover popped off from venting or overheating alkaline batteries. There just not near as violent as li-ion.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you notice the shape of the gasket on the tailcap on the Mini Maglite and XL-series, escaping gas would be able to get out, but nothing can come in. That's the "vented tailcap."

D-cell lights use regular O-rings, so it's probably a misprint.

moderator007

Enlightened
Robin24k thanks for the reply. I did see how the mini mags could vent. The rubber seal is not a round oring like on the D and C mags. Its more like a wedge design pressure one way makes the wedge tighter and the pressure the other way makes it looser.
When i searched this original I did see more than one site with the typo. I searched even further today and could not seem to find anymore sites except the few i found originally, stating vented tailcap for a D. So i think you may be right. Typo error.

I did come up with my own vent for the D and C mags here.

Last edited: