The Ultimate Flashlight

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
For me, the ultimate would have three variables: spill vs. throw, brightness, and color.
Am I missing a key desideratum in the function?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Runtime
Battery preference
Size
Cost
Durability
Availability

Norm

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
Runtime is subsumed by the brightness feature. The brighter the light the shorter the runtime. At the extreme I should always be able to pick a setting that exhausts the batteries in an hour or less. Battery size -- is that what you mean? -- is not a a feature that has an optimal value. For some applications we want big batteries and for others, small. Same with size. No optimal state there either. Low cost, durability, and availability go without saying. (Remember: the exercise is to define the optimum flashlight -- the end state of flashlight technology.) I'm just interested in the core function, and when I think of what the core function is, I only see three dimensions: low vs high brightness or runtime, color, and spill vs throw. Possibly there is something I am missing about the geometry of the spot, but I can't think of what.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery choice will matter for many people when describing the optimum flashlight. I would add beam quality however you want to describe that. For some it's as simple as OP vs SMO reflectors. For others it may involve TIR rather than traditional reflectors. It can involve the degree of diffusion (important to me in any description of an optimum flashlight).

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
User interface is important to me, as is physical ergonomics.

But really you need to define purpose first, before looking at anything else, as that places priorities and limits on everything else.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ultimate flashlight would be a Surefire A3 aviator, a 3 cell fully regulated incandescent light using soft start, multi mode level output for the incandescent lamp, a ring of LED's surrounding the LA to be used primarily for pure flood output, available in your choice of colors, separate colored rings available for purchase separately, shock isolated bezel for durability, HA III available in either black or natural. THAT, would be the ultimate light.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
For me, the ultimate would have three variables: spill vs. throw, brightness, and color.
Am I missing a key desideratum in the function?

I think a certain degree of durability and reliability is a must have. If it doesn't work when you need it to its pretty useless.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened

But really you need to define purpose first, before looking at anything else, as that places priorities and limits on everything else.

+1,
The purpose defines exactly what is required: Which is why HDS lights are a favorite. Their versatility, modes and ease of carry make them a 'go to' for lots of folk.

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
Battery choice will matter for many people when describing the optimum flashlight. I would add beam quality however you want to describe that. For some it's as simple as OP vs SMO reflectors. For others it may involve TIR rather than traditional reflectors. It can involve the degree of diffusion (important to me in any description of an optimum flashlight).

What does "beam quality" mean in terms of the behavior of the beam? I noted the dimensions of spill vs throw. color, and brightness. Is there a fourth? What does diffusion mean if not spill vs throw??

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened

To me the ultimate flashlight technology is one that gives you the tools you need to come up with any beam you want for any purpose That's the point of having sliders that control brightness or runtime, color, and spill v. throw. You get to make the choices. The question is, are those three sliders all we need, or am I missing one or two. Or three or four.

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
SC60w IMHO.
The first light I bought 3 of....a spare backup.

G27
Looks cool, but it is probably not the ultimate. Where is flashlight technology likely to be in ten years? Twenty? Fifty?
I know you have no crystal ball, and you'll probably be wrong, but I'm still interested in your best guess. I posted mine.

wuyeah

Enlightened
My Ultimate Flashlight will be....

Strong enough to call Batman for help in 2XCR123 flashlight size.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does "beam quality" mean in terms of the behavior of the beam? I noted the dimensions of spill vs throw. color, and brightness. Is there a fourth? What does diffusion mean if not spill vs throw??

Well, first of all to be correct we are speaking of flood vs throw (spot) rather than spill. You could have spill with a spot or flood light. Spill is just that part of the light that doesn't hit the reflector (regardless of what type of reflector that is).

Regarding diffusion. Look at a cheap flood-to-throw light. It has rings and other artifacts. If you don't have those the beam quality is better (IMO).

If you put such a light on flood you have a broad area of light and then a large circle surrounding all that with a sharp cut-off. It's either flood or darkness at that intersection. A diffused flood light for instance doesn't have that. The light is diffused and you aren't really sure when the light ends. If the angle is large enough and you are walking around outside at night you feel more like you have your own "personal moonlight". When you turn your head or move your body you don't see the light moving or changing. If it isn't diffused you see that large circle of light with the sharp cut-off.

With a diffused headlamp on a lower setting I'll sometimes be walking around at night and think that maybe I don't need my light or that maybe I don't have it on...until I turn it off and it suddenly got dark!

Last edited:

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
A flashlight that quenches thirst:
376_1_.jpg

Just needs an XML or SST90 upgrade and a bat'leth blade.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
User interface and looks are also high priorities for me. Its why i have a love/hate relationship with the best maker of flashlights, Zebralight... Theyve got it all, except for the looks. Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Durability is absolutely of primary importance. A flashlight is a tool that you might have to depend on to survive (caving, for instance). In many cases, your three variables are minor compared to whether or not it works when you need it.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Random thoughts . . . .

-- Don't forget a CLIP !

Deep-pocket-carry style, and make it easily Removable, for those users who don't WANT a clip.

-- Ability to Tail-Stand !

For those of us (including myself) who prefer this feature.

-- Easy-to-operate Switch !

Even while wearing GLOVES !

And make sure it's NOT gonna' come on Accidently !

And no parasitic drain ! (or very very Low)

And no PWM. Or, else have it at a VERY high rate.

That's all i can think of, at the moment.
Interesting thread you've started here.
Really thought-provoking stuff.

:thumbsup:

nbp

Flashaholic
Just realized that kramer and sparky's magic have almost the same avatar. Kinda confused me there for a second. :thinking:

Wait, what are we talking about?