Want to get my first Surefire

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I want to get a sure fire but every time I look at them they don't appeal to me. Either they have only 1 output, put out under a 120lm for a $80+ light on 2 CR123's (the Quark Turbo X does 450!) or have some stupid UI even with only 2 modes. If you only have 2 modes why switch every time its clicked? Why not run it like a E21 or TK20? and I know there made in the USA but they still seem so expensive for so little, sure there durable but so are Quarks and RA Clickies and those are brighter and have more modes and customizable UI's

I'm not spending more than $200 or so (they seem to jump from $180ish to over $250) If I wanted to do that id save for a SR90. All the G2L's are out, I like the Nitrolon grip but, there not bright enough and I want more than one output that leaves the stratum, G2D, G2X Pro and 6PX Pro

Do these lights use L-M-H/L-H UI or do they have memory, coming on in what you left them in and only switch if clicked rapidly? Are Surefires submersable?

Last edited:

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a SureFire just isn't for you. I love my all my SF's. The single modes, the multi's, incan, led whatever. You really should "want" the flashlight you are about to spend $200 on, or you aren't going to like it.

Edit: Side note, I really love mySR90 too, maybe save and get that one instead. They really are WOW lights.

Niconical

Enlightened
To address your concerns in order......

Only 1 output: Many of them are meant to have only one output, they are tactical flashlights for police/military.
You really don't need to be twisting the bezel and/or pressing three times or whatever just as you're kicking the door in.

Lumens: Surefire rate their lumens slightly differently to some other manufacturers.
Most Surefires will be brighter than you expect based only on the numbers.

Expensive: It's not just the flashlight you're buying, it's a lifetime warranty.
Even without that though, I still think they're worth the money.

UI on various models: No idea.

john-paul says it best, maybe Surefire just isn't for you.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Heck, instead of a SureFire 6P, you might be happier with something similar that is priced for less money. Say a complete SolarForce L2 body, and a multi-mode (XR-E, XP-E, XP-G, or XM-L?) drop-in of your choosing...

Z-Tab

Enlightened
If you have a specific task that you need a light for, there's probably a Surefire that will perform that task better than almost any other light. If you want a great general purpose light, get an HDS. I have nothing against any of the four lights that you listed, but I would take an HDS Clicky over any of them.

For more info on the UIs of those lights, I think Going Gear has demonstration videos on YouTube for each of them.

If you want an inexpensive light that puts out the highest possible lumens and has loads of levels, look to China. If the Quark Turbo X is the perfect light for you, then congratulations and get out of here while you still have some money left.

afdk

Newly Enlightened
:wave:Love my Surefire E2DL 200/5 lumen light with F04 diffuser. The diffuser makes this light most versatile. Take it to work every day, very bright.

Last edited:

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
i bought my surefire 6P Incan on ebay for 40 bucks brand new and put a malkoff M61W in it . For 100 bucks i have a BULLET PROOF light and that is why i bought it. Only 1 output and less stuff to break. Thats my light that accompanies my 9mm in the nightstand.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I am currently using my new Z2 with the original incan bulb and LOVING it. 65 lumens is surprisingly bright and great for general use, I find myself using this more than my Armytek Predator or Quark because of the simplicity and lovely colour. I don't feel the need to switch levels constantly like I do on the multimode lights. I also find myself using the G2X Pro more than my Predator and Quarks for general use because of the simplicity of two levels. Although the Quark Tactical UI let's you also choose two levels, I find myself constantly reprogramming because I can.
Surefire set-in-stone simplicity is great. I also dig the legoability; I can swap out bezels and switches and bodies at a moment's notice to suit my mood.

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Not sure the title quite follows the post, it sounds like you've already convinced yourself to avoid about every light Surefire makes?

If slick UI's and Lumens for cheap are what you want, then Surfires are most definitely not for you; I would agree with what you say.

I'm honestly not sure what lights you do own, or have owned. I have owned or currently own all of the lights you mention, have used the UI's you talk about, have fretted over Lumens (but not anymore) and now own and carry more Surfires than any other light I have.

I won't get into the reasons why, but I, for one, appreciate the stupid UIs and lower output more than you can imagine!

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Not sure the title quite follows the post, it sounds like you've already convinced yourself to avoid about every light Surefire makes?

If slick UI's and Lumens for cheap are what you want, then Surfires are most definitely not for you; I would agree with what you say.

I'm honestly not sure what lights you do own, or have owned. I have owned or currently own all of the lights you mention, have used the UI's you talk about, have fretted over Lumens (but not anymore) and now own and carry more Surfires than any other light I have.

I won't get into the reasons why, but I, for one, appreciate the stupid UIs and lower output more than you can imagine!
+1 Surefire is an acquired taste, or disease, depending on how you look at it. I used to squabble over lumen count but now I don't want more than 300 for a general purpose/tactical light. You'll blind yourself in a small room trying to blind someone else!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of my Surefires I like the UI of the L1 the best (which is funny because I was "sure" I'd hate it) I showed a friend in the Navy my lights and he also likes the L1's UI so he is now on the lookout for an LX2.

If modes are a big concern then I too will suggest the HDS lights.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Like papageorgio, my Surefire C2 (bored for 18650) stays in the nightstand drawer with a Glock .40 cal. Surefires are built for battle, whether in Afghanistan or in your home - they work 100 times out of 100. If you need bulletproof reliability, consider a Surefire. If you want bling, Surefire will disappoint you. They are built to work, not to impress.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love the simple 2 mode, 1 hand operation of my E2DL :)

Surefires are expensive, but theres no denying their quality. Quarks really dont compare in that department.

and the price is also relative... when the situation, job or circumstance is critical. Surefire are well worth it.

Last edited:

Thedugger

Newly Enlightened
Surefire rocks! Their technology, design, quality, and reputation are unmatched. All the cheaper lights on the market today owe their existence to Surefire. Sure you can buy cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

A Ford Taurus gets you to where you want to go, but why not drive a BMW if you have the means?

"Less is more, except when more is more, then less is stupid."

Flint&Steel

Newly Enlightened
The Land of Beautiful Women, Fast Horses, and Smoo
I was like you, until I pulled the trigger on a G2ZL on clearance. The single-mode, 80 lumens was nice, but then I found the nailbender thread, purchased one of his drop-ins, and the G2ZL is now my favorite dog walking/camping light.

If you can find a 6P, C2 or G2L on clearance, grab one, then grab a nailbender or Malkoff drop-in. You'll like what you see

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
To address your concerns in order......

Only 1 output: Many of them are meant to have only one output, they are tactical flashlights for police/military.
You really don't need to be twisting the bezel and/or pressing three times or whatever just as you're kicking the door in.
Yeah I understand the single modes they just seem so ancient to me just on off, my complaint was the UI on the dual mode lights making momentary on worthless and always coming on in low. Even a Quark you could just set both modes to turbo and you wouldn't have to worry but you also have the options for the other modes.

Just the G2L's and ones over $300

You guys seem to think I just want cheap lights but I wouldn't call $60-$130 Fenix and 4sevens cheap I just think that $90 for a 80 lumen G2L is a joke. The G2X pro at $95 puts out a nicer 200 lumens.

I just think I should have at least 1 Surefire in my collection.

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The T1A titan is pretty cool but at the maximum range on my budget and Surefire says it's High out put but 70lm can be had from a much smaller AAA light?

I also like the regular G2 65lm out of an incan is pretty cool and its just like all the other Surefires... but am I really going to buy an incan? haha

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have gotten a G2X before the price went up. :) Even now the price isn't bad.
I still carry the Titan T1A on my key ring. Most user friendly and functional UI I have ever used. Only wish it came in neutral tint. ;)

Vesper

Enlightened
I just think I should have at least 1 Surefire in my collection.

Don't get one just to get one. :thinking:

When a hell-and-back light finally -if ever- appeals to you then start thinking Surefire, Malkoff, HDS, etc. Different applications give each their strong points. Don't start ripping away a brand because your needs don't match.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
If you really want a Surefire, just to have one in your collection, you ought to consider some of their incans. The A2 is an amazing light and the Turbohead M-Series lights, run on rechargeables, give even the brightest LEDs a run for their money.

If you're sticking purely with LEDs, the L1 and LX2 have the best multi-level tactical UI there is and the Kroma is an awesome and unique light.

As far as cost, Surefires can be had for far less than retail in the second hand market. Be patient and look out for sales, especially closeouts.