Led lenser p series beams

phildaint

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks this is my first post here... I am an avid night photographer and am looking into getting a new torch. I've heard alot of good stuff about the led lenser p series and am looking at getting the p14.

The most important thing for me is to be able to 'paint' with the torch, so i need an even light throughout (unlike maglites for example where there are rings of changing brighness in the beam) if that makes sence aha.

im prety confident that it will also be brighter than my 2 cel maglite which is a big plus

so you think it will tick the box's for me?

If you are intrigued about the night photography then my website is www.explorethenight.co.uk

Cheers, Phil

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Hi Phil, Welcome. You've only hit the tip of the iceburg. I would personally stay away from the P14 as its unregulated and much larger than you need. (and you can get a light a fraction of the size that will be brighter) I know when I carry my camera setup, it's heavy enough as it is! I think for night photography you are going to want something very floody and Neutral or Warm in color. (similar to an incandescent) Cool white (such as the color of the P14 will be) will really bleach all of the color out of anything you are taking a picture of, there are plenty of threads on here showing the difference. Perhaps someone can link this for phil to see as I don't have the time to look at the moment. Basically, some light manufactures offer their lights in a neutral or warm flavor in lieu of cool white. Most people prefer neutral, but i think for photography it's the only way to go.I have a surefire 6P incandescent that i've removed the incandescent bulb out of and replaced with a Malkoff M61W (Warm/Neutral) . Great pics by the way.

George

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
one more thing, are you editing the color in those photos afterwards or doing that yourself on the spot? 4Sevens Quark makes a Red/Green/Blue that might interest you also.

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
Excellent photos Phil. I also have done some night shots, but specialize in nature photography. I especially like your time exposure shots with the star trails. Keep up the good work.

Napalm

Enlightened
Photography = "drawing with light". You're doing it ad litteram! Nice works, thanks!

Nap.

jupello

Enlightened
Beautiful pictures you have there! :)

The P-series beams are pretty even on flood, but the outer edge of the beam might have ring that's tiny bit brighter than the rest of the beam..or at least my P7 does that. There's also the possibility to unscrew the head of the light and get really wide and even flood on pretty much all led lensers.
The newer M-series could also offer some extra features, along with little bit more refined optics.

swan

Banned
Gday Phil, the lenser is big for its small power output,heavy,unreg,plastic lense, not waterproof to std ,basically this is a torch a lot of newbies make the mistake of buying only to discover there are much better and more up to date brands that use the latest led regulated pills.For example look at the fenix tk21 and compare the two.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work, Phil! I agree that you should look into some of the other models of flashlight people have mentioned above.