Streamlight Knucklehead?

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody seen the Streamlight Knucklehead? It can be run on four AA and they claim 200 lumens for 3.5 hours. I'm wondering what the beam looks like.

GreySave

Enlightened
Looked at it for ultra portable emergency response lighting. Very floody. Wish they would make it available with D Cells. Would gladly trade a little size and weight for run time.

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
As noted it is a floody light, which is just what you want for a worklight situation. I have been using it around the workshop and am generally happy with it. I see it as a good replacement for the Streamlight Propolymer LED 4AA, the older flood light that had 7 LEDs. (And old propolymers tend to fail, in my experience. I've sent mine back to Streamlight for warranty repair 3 times, I think, because of dead LEDs.) The knucklehead is brighter and regulated, and I think the beam is a nicer color (not so blue) and smoother.

The things that bug me about it are that I wish the articulating head would point down. If I tailstand it on my workbench it can only point out, parallel to the workbench. Sometimes the strong magnet snaps to things I don't expect. (The magnet can be removed; maybe I should remove it.) And the biggest irritation: the power switch. You have to hold it down for a long time to cycle from high, to medium, and then it goes to the blinking mode next. To get to moonlight you have to hold it down a ridiculously long time (8 seconds, I think) while you watch it strobe. Pretty much makes moonlight mode useless. I would say medium is adequate for most worklight applications.

I run it on 4 eneloops. If it were designed just for AA batteries they probably could have fit more in or made the light more compact, but it uses a battery carrier to maintain compatibility with some legacy NiCad system that Streamlight has, which sure seems ridiculously expensive. I for one am happy it runs on AA. Probably would not have purchased it if it used D cells.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that uses 4AA cells. I find the battery carrier makes it difficult to change batteries, but the light itself is a solid well-built worklight. Lots of flood. Bright. The magnet is very strong which makes it nice, but sometimes it unexpectedly picks up screwdrivers, sockets & wrenches. Once you get used to the magnet and battery holder you'll like it.

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Glad to see that it seems to be a good light overall.
Tired of using my Fenix MC 10 while working on my van.
Seems like Fenix left out a niche in their flashlight lineup. :(

Looking forward to using this light!

roi275

Newly Enlightened
Just received my new Knucklehead and so far very impressed overall. The body appears to be made of a tough polymer, looks like it will handle years of abuse. My typical use will be under the sink or under the hood and I think it will be ideal for that. You gotta love a product that comes with a magnet so strong that it comes with a pinching hazard warning.
Normally I try to put any new electronic gadget through some sort of "burn in" to check for infant mortality problems. Am I correct in assuming if the light makes it through the first couple hours of use, it's probably good for the long haul?