Help me upgrade/update my Hotbeam Pocketmate 5W 18650 Mag

jtice

Flashaholic
I have one of the original Pocketmates that Hotbeam made years ago.
It is a cut down C mag that uses a single 18650 cell, a Fatman driver, and a 5W Luxeon led, and has a side mounted pot for dimming.
I would like to swap out the led in it for something batter, what would be my best option?
The Fatman Boost Driver is set to somewhere between 1 and 1.3 amps max output I think.
Or should I swap out the driver also?

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
~John

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to have one of these. If you lose the driver you lose the pot, in all likelihood, unless you can find a replacement that supports the pot. And since that's what makes the light special I suggest you keep it :)

the immediate and most obvious upgrade would be to Cree MC-E.. not the latest and greatest I know but it's what matches the electrical characteristics of the LuxV most closely. You will need to wire the MC-E 2S2P to match the LuxV's electrical characteristics.

jtice

Flashaholic
Yea I figured just keeping the driver and just swapping the led would be the best way to go.
If I wanted to use the latest and best stuff, I might as well just build another light entirely.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT!!!!! BLASPHERMY! Modify the modified? ;-) How are you guys doing? JTICE, KEVINL, long time no type. Yeah, I'd build another one with the XM-L

Hotbeam

jtice

Flashaholic
Now you should know DAMN well that none of us can leave ANYthing well enough alone ;)
Eh just one of those things that popped into my head, probably going to get back into some light mods as a winter project this year.
But yea, if I do it I will probably just build a whole new light.

Nice seeing you around still Hotbeam!!!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL Ticey! Hello Georges80! Yeah, feel a bit "old". ;-)

PS. JT, got a whole bunch of Mag hosts and bits and pieces here for anyone wanting to short cut their mod time!