JTICE REVIEW - OLight SR51

jtice

Flashaholic
Here is my review of the OLight SR51.
I hope to have some beamshots of it and some other lights added soon.

DSC01691.JPG

http://jtice.com/review/lights/olight_sr51

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I did not know it only had 2 light levels. Perhaps Olight will add a few more in the production version? I really want to know if it can throw to the claimed 700 meters (somehow, I doubt it since the reflector is slightly smaller than other lights in the class and they can't throw that far). Can't wait for the beam shots.

jtice

Flashaholic
The SR51 I reviewed is the production version, I have heard nothing about them adding more than 2 levels. All their lights this size or larger have only had 2 levels.
700 meters? yea its got great throw, but that would be stretching it.
I dont like throw ratings like that, they are very very subjective. Will it cast light 700 meters? Sure, but at what intensity do you consider it actually useful at a given distance?
~John

easilyled

Flashaholic
I would love to know how its output compares to the Fenix TK35 and how its throw compares to the Eagletac M2C4 XM-L or the Catapult V2/V3 XM-L.

BTW, I ordered one a couple of days ago and your review seems to indicate that it was a good decision. :)

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to know how its output compares to the Fenix TK35 and how its throw compares to the Eagletac M2C4 XM-L or the Catapult V2/V3 XM-L.

Exactly. I would love to know the same. I'm waiting to order until I know this. I wish Olight would use standard ANSI measurements like a lot of the other "big" manufacturers are using.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review and cool pics. :)

I should have mine Saturday and the first thing I plan on doing is checking the throw, I have some very dark places out here and I can check throw out to well over 600 meters. If I can tell there is a human being at a given distance then that is what I think is useable throw, if at say 400 meters there is a person standing and I can not illuminate him/her then I don't consider the light a 400 meter thrower.

DM51

Flashaholic
SHADE02, your post has been deleted. Any more like that from you, and we'll conclude you are a nothing but a troll; then you'll be out of here for good.

Enlightened
700 meters? yea its got great throw, but that would be stretching it.
I dont like throw ratings like that, they are very very subjective. Will it cast light 700 meters? Sure, but at what intensity do you consider it actually useful at a given distance?
~John

For marine / architectural searchlights rating, that would be 1 lux at the distance. Eg, 700m = 490k lux @ 1m.

DM51

Flashaholic
SHADE02... as easilyled has pointed out, your knowledge of Rule 8 seems deficient. You now have some time off, which will give you ample opportunity to read it.

Napalm

Enlightened
I can't refrain from noticing that for the size and price, the Spark is doing a very commendable job.

Nap.

jtice

Flashaholic
The Spark beam is alot different, it has very little throw compared to the others, its "hotspot" is much larger and fades out into the spill more, instead of a tight, defined hotspot.
Oh turbo its rated at 800 lumens and really puts out a wall of light for sure.
Its been my EDC for a few weeks now, I will review it eventually, just not had the time yet.
I LOVE it,,, my one complaint, you can NOT pocket carry it without locking it out. :(
The side switch gets activated by accident if you dont.

Napalm

Enlightened
The Spark beam is alot different, it has very little throw compared to the others, its "hotspot" is much larger and fades out into the spill more, instead of a tight, defined hotspot.

Yes but for distances up to the car in your pics it provides the most uniform and pleasant illumination. Beyond that it will probably "blackout" and the bigger lights should come into play.

However that distance seems enough to cover most mundane tasks.

Nap.

P.S. I might now be saying something stupid but I'll take the risk. Let's draw an imaginary line from our feet to the target (the car) and measure the illumination along this line. Would it be possible to design a light that, for a given distance, creates constant illumination along the line (after which it fades away)?

Last edited: