Low-End Flashaholic/High End Budget flashlight search- ITP or other?

mburkstrand

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

After reading a number of threads on Candlepowerforums over the last two weeks, and finding a great deal of information, I am like a lot of new posters and am ready to purchase a new, higher-end flashlight than the typical Walmart brand model.

As the poster Selfbuilt described my preference in one of his reviews, I am looking for a low-end flashaholic/high end budget flashlight. That proably has different meanings to different people, but what I am looking for is:

-not necessarily an EDC (see part 2 below), but would like to keep it in my breifcase and take with me on hikes and camping trips with the kids
-mulitple light modes (low to hi; don't need highest out; unsure on lowest mode as I've never tried/seen <1 lumen output on a flashlight
-don't need beacon or SOS
-runs AA/Eneloops or other higher end recharagables
-either 1xAA or 2xAA, but would prefer 2xAA as my wife will most likely use the flashlight also and is used to larger flashlights
-Decent mix between beam and flood
-Good manufacturer reliability history
-Price? <$40 would be great, <$50 is upper limit

1) Was looking at the ITP SA2 R2 (on sale at Goinggear). Are there major differences between that and the R5 model for the price difference? I also like the specs of the 4Sevens Quark 2xAA XP-G R5, but am not sure if it is worth the significant difference in price to the ITP (plus above my budget)-any feedback from someone who has used any of these models? I also saw that the Zebralight SC50+ and SC30W are on sale for $50- these look nice also, and may be considerations as the UI looks simple (though the ITP UI looks simple also).

2) I am also looking for a keychain light I will carry every day. The LRI Photon Freedom model looks nice and cheap (plus a recharable version)- any other recommendations in this range or type?

Again, this a great forum, and hoping to have some good discussion.

Thanks,
Mike

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
:welcome:

That ITP looks like a fine choice for what you're after. The R5 model has an XP-G emitter, the R2 an XP-E so the latter is going to give you a bit more throw, but less overall output. Also check out the Fenix E21, that looks to meet the criteria as well. Both good "gateway" lights.:whistle:

I carry a Fenix E01 on my keychain. It's not the same style as the one you mentioned, but they are compact, cheap, durable, and can run on any old AAA instead of coin batteries. Definitely worth consideration.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

I'll first tackle the keychain light. Fenix makes some nice cheap (but very rugged) models. The Fenix E05 is great if you are only looking for a single mode. It uses a cheap AAA battery (it can also use an AAA Eneloop). You can also find the older Fenix E01 for about $10. It is not as bright as the E05 and has a horrible very blue tint but it is very rugged. I sanded the emitter on my E01 and it made it more floody and got rid of the blue tint. No bad for a cheapo AAA keychain light using an eneloop. There are quite a few threads demonstrating the ruggedness of the E01 http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?198231-My-Quick-Fenix-E01-Torture-Test

Now on to the 2AA light. ITP is a decent brand but it is clearly not as well made as some other slightly more expensive brands. You get what you pay for. It is worth it to step up to a quark 2AA. The R5 quark 2AA would be about $53 with CPF discount. Skip the Quark S2 model (it is a bit green with the tint).

Another great 2AA light is the Fenix LD25 (it has 5 different light levels even though the Fenix web site does not explain that very well). You can get it shipped for $45 with CPF discount. I use it as my light that takes all the hard abuse and it still keeps eunning. It does not have quite as low of a low mode as the Quark though. The super low <1 lumen modes are great when you are sleeping at night and only need a little light so as not to disturb others or ruin you night vision (or blind youself). The LD25 low mode (they call it camping mode) is 3 lumens.

The SC50+ is a great bargain at $50. I love mine but some have had issues with it turning on in their pockets. Not a problem if you give a 1/2 twist to the tailcap to "lock it out". It has a great low mode like the quark with the most perfect one handed UI. You need to be twisting the head of the quark and the Fenix LD25 to change some modes so you need two hands for those. The SC50+ is not as bright as the other 2 though. FYI, I clip mine on the inside of my pocket and I have never had mine accidently turn on (I don't lock it out either).

Last edited:

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
the ITP A3 keychain light is one of the very best inexpensive lights around. I have given away a great many, and they are all still running, and well loved.
I dont know much about the other ITP lights, but ITP is made by O-light, a very respectable company.
The quark 2aa light is very nice, i have one in neutral tint, and its my go-to survival/camping light. The neutral tints are very nice for outdoor stuff, as they tend to have better color rendition.
All of the lights you listed are very nice!

Ian2381

Enlightened
I would recommend the SC50, got one in neutral and cool white. great runtimes on AAs. Its Identical to the very popular SC51 except for the highest lumen rsating on AA SC51= 200 and SC50 = 120. at 120 lumens in the sc50 you could get over 2 hrs using 2500mah eneloop XX.
I also recommend the Fenix E21,Jetbeam BA10 or BA20, Xeno E03.

For keychain light I would suggest get the fenix E01, durable with long runtime for less than $15.

Last edited:

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
I would tend to agree with the Fenix E01/Zebralight SC50 recommendations (although I have the SC51w). The ZL UI is a lot easier to use than it is to describe! I found myself wondering what use a 0.18 lumen low mode would be, but it's one I use probably 50% of the time. I tend to go to bed after my wife, so a low mode is very handy for not waking her, and if you wish to preserve your night vision it's also useful.
The beam is IMO a good compromise between spot and flood, however, it falls outside your 2xAA preference, and I'm not sure of the reliability history. The downside is they are not designed to be user repairable if something does fail.

ienov

Newly Enlightened
For keychain light ITP A3 EOS R5 is very very good,i gave my girlfriend one and it's running perfect,three months since it's on her keys,and the finish is undamaged,did i mention that it's supper bright for the size.So overall,I and my girlfriend are realy happy with it,you can't go wrong wiht this A3 EOS R5.:thumbsup:

Enlightened
Solarforce L2r host, with 2 AA. Then any drop in, you can change from warm white to neutral white to cool white in a wimp. Solarforce-sales (HK) sells a L2r with Solarforce XP-G for $29 shipped. It is a high-quality drop-in with very high quality beam (in fact nearly perfect) and the host is also high quality. Problem is the price, its too low so some so-called high-enders won't take a look at them.

Yep, no SOS/strobe.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Solarforce L2r host, with 2 AA. Then any drop in, you can change from warm white to neutral white to cool white in a wimp. Solarforce-sales (HK) sells a L2r with Solarforce XP-G for $29 shipped. It is a high-quality drop-in with very high quality beam (in fact nearly perfect) and the host is also high quality. Problem is the price, its too low so some so-called high-enders won't take a look at them.

Yep, no SOS/strobe.

+1 saw one on solaforce sales at $21.99 plus $2 shipping. Solarforce L2r AA 320 Lumens 3 mode R5 XP-G led Flashlight

mburkstrand

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the responses. Keep them coming! Am investigating the suggestions below. More ideas are always welcome. Another question- are there better times throught he year to buy a flashlight (sales, clearances, etc)?

@jonnyfgroove: The 2xAAA ITP does look good for the price. I'm hoping someone who has one of these lights will respond and give me some reliability information. Thanks for the E01 suggestion.

@tre: The E01 looks nice;thanks for the suggestion. I would prefer a couple of different outputs for my EDC keychain if possible. The suggestion for the LD25 is helpful, as I like the idea of a very durable flashlight. The Qurak is still more expensive than I want, especially if I go with 2 lights.

@fixitman: good suggestion on the iTP keychain- they look nice. Will investigate more.

@IAN 2381- another suugestion for E01- will investigate. Thanks for the other suggestions on lights- I will check those out.

@mat_the_cat: Thanks for the thoughts on the ZL SC50. I agree the UI looks very nice. Still not sure on the size and price though- think I may prefer a larger light. Any info on ZL having a 2xAA light?

@ienov: Another suggestion for the ITP A03. Will definetly be checking out this light.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Price? <$40 would be great, <$50 is upper limit

Just so you know, you're really not going to be able to get a true high-end flashlight in that price range. The price for those usually starts in the $100 range and goes up from there (in some cases way up).

mburkstrand

Newly Enlightened
Wanted to update this thread. I just ordered a Fenix LD25 as my first 'true' flashlight. Thanks to all for your recommendations. Looking forward to playing around with my new toy. I will post my thoughts in another thread after I have had a chance to play with it.

Did not order a keychain light yet- waiting to see how this light works out.

Mike