4Sevens Quark AA or Zebralight SC51?

Tu13es

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy my first "real" flashlight and have been doing research for a couple weeks. I've narrowed what I'm looking for down to the 4Sevens Quark AA Regular and Zebralight SC51. I know they're both great lights, but I'm having trouble deciding one way or another.

Reasons I like the Quark AA:
- Overall styling is more up my alley (the SC51 seems pretty ugly)
- Removable clip
- Finger grip
- ~$10 cheaper
- lego-able if I decide to get an AA2 body in the future

Reasons I like the SC51:
- Notably brighter on highest output
- Headband included
- Smaller, lighter

Any input would be really appreciated.

_Event_Horizon_

Newly Enlightened
SIMPLE:

buy them both.

it doesn't matter a whole lot what everyone else will say about either one. you've done your research. you just have to get a hand on both to really appreciate which one you'll like best.

ToNIX

Enlightened
Can't go wrong with either lights, although the SC51 looks like a real beast!

I thought it was ugly too, but check out some youtube videos, it's seems much better that on the pictures.

Samy

Enlightened
I've got the Quark AA but in tactical UI and it's an excellent little light. Heaps of accessories are available which is a bonus. The Zebralight is possibly very good, i've never owned one because they are not aesthetically pleasing to my eye ;)

cheers

brightasday

Newly Enlightened
The SC51 also has a removable clip. Other big pluses IMO are the Zebralight UI and the easy-to-use electronic switch.

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
Even though the Zebralight is certainly flavour of the month, if you don't buy the Quark and you hang around here long enough you'll wonder what you're missing. It is kind of a legend around these parts.

I don't have a Zebralight, but I don't feel the need to buy one either, despite the current hype. I use my Quarks regularly (I rely on them) and having a few alternative tubes has allowed me to explore all kinds of configurations at a very modest cost. However, this may actually cost the Quarks a couple of points - all that versatility means that the Quark is not optimized for a single AA cell, which is now my preferred format.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Zebralight is brighter than the Quark on a standard AA cell. I have ordered a couple of 14500 cells which should put the Quark in front, but only because I already have a charger for them. If I was starting again, I'd give bonus points to something that was designed for a single AA.

One big advantage the Quark has is the ability to reverse the direction of the clip. This means you can clip it onto the brim of a hat and use it as a headlight, which I do A LOT. Another advantage is the lego ability, I have 3 Quarks now and when somebody left an alkaline cell in one and damaged the tailswitch it was no biggie to order a couple of spares. It's like I have my own Quark fleet service department.

Deal4

Enlightened
I'm looking to buy my first "real" flashlight and have been doing research for a couple weeks. I've narrowed what I'm looking for down to the 4Sevens Quark AA Regular and Zebralight SC51. I know they're both great lights, but I'm having trouble deciding one way or another.

Reasons I like the Quark AA:
- Overall styling is more up my alley (the SC51 seems pretty ugly)
- Removable clip
- Finger grip
- ~$10 cheaper
- lego-able if I decide to get an AA2 body in the future

Reasons I like the SC51:
- Notably brighter on highest output
- Headband included
- Smaller, lighter

Any input would be really appreciated.

Looks like you have done your home work. Good job and :welcome:
Nothing earth shakingly new here as some have pointed out that the SC51 is kind of the flavor of the month. But, there is a reason for that. It is a sweet light!:twothumbs A lot of people get turned off by the looks, and to honest I amlost didn't buy it myself for that reason alone. But now that I have had it awhile, I have to admit that Zebralight hit a homerun with this one! I use it every day and if I had to only use one light this would be it. Very few, if any new lights are designed to use Ni-Mh batteries. Most lights have to use 14500 Li-ion batteries to wring the kind of power that that SC51 does. Can you tell that I love this light?!
Now that said, I do not have a Quark. I almost bought one myself, but got the SC51 instead. I know there are a ton of people who absolutely adore the Quark. If you already have 14500 batteries and charger then maybe the Quark would be the way to go.
Right now I think you are in a win-win situation! You can't lose!:clap:

wreckless1

Newly Enlightened
Sc51 ..It's a unique light .if you don't like it rest assured it can be sold in minutes and you can be off to try the Quark .Go big or stay at home .If I was selling it to you personally I'd give you a guarentee ."If you don't like it ,I'll give you double your money back "
because i know you'll like it ,no one hates a zebralight.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Sc51 ..It's a unique light .if you don't like it rest assured it can be sold in minutes and you can be off to try the Quark .Go big or stay at home .If I was selling it to you personally I'd give you a guarentee ."If you don't like it ,I'll give you double your money back "
because i know you'll like it ,no one hates a zebralight.

+1 really love my zebralight and don't find them ugly, I even think they looked great compared to normal looking lights. loved my SC50 and been my edc for quite a while now.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both and I prefer the SC51 by a good margin, the UI and anodizing knocks it out of the park. The looks may not look like much until you have it and figure out the looks amplify the function.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also own both and you can't go wrong with either.

I am very anti tail cap switches, so prefer the ZL for this reason. UI is excellent and there is no pre-flash with mood mode (though it is easy to let go too soon and get full output instead of moon mode - the ZL interface requires you to hold the button down to get it to come on in moon mode, if you let go too quickly you get max and if you keep holding for too long you get medium).

Beam profiles are very similar, but the output from AA is much brighter with the ZL, the quark needs a 14500 for max output. I also replaced the standard tailcap on the Quark with a tactical one as I prefer forward clickies and the easier to push exposed button.

In the hand, the ZL feels good, I like the way it looks, the beam profile and colour are excellent and the side button makes it natural to use. If I could only have one it would be the ZL.

sinthemau

Newly Enlightened
I also own both and you can't go wrong with either.

I am very anti tail cap switches, so prefer the ZL for this reason. UI is excellent and there is no pre-flash with mood mode (though it is easy to let go too soon and get full output instead of moon mode - the ZL interface requires you to hold the button down to get it to come on in moon mode, if you let go too quickly you get max and if you keep holding for too long you get medium).

Beam profiles are very similar, but the output from AA is much brighter with the ZL, the quark needs a 14500 for max output. I also replaced the standard tailcap on the Quark with a tactical one as I prefer forward clickies and the easier to push exposed button.

In the hand, the ZL feels good, I like the way it looks, the beam profile and colour are excellent and the side button makes it natural to use. If I could only have one it would be the ZL.

Exactly the same for me...own both but in need of choosing one, it's ZL.
Also for Quark greenish light and pre-flash really disturbing.

Tu13es

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone comment on the max brightness between the two? On paper the SC51 gets almost double the output, but I know 4Sevens underrates its products compared to most others. Bonus points from those who own both.

Tu13es

Newly Enlightened
Also, can anyone comment on the difference in brightness between the SC51 and SC51w? The neutral color is more appealing, but the wow-factor of "200" lumens of the SC51 is as well.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I'm all for the quarks. I have six of them now, and adore the diffrent form factor choices I have. Whether it be AA one day
123 the next, whatever your feeling. and anybody who owns an AA quark will tell u "using 14500" is a must!!

I feel like the quark will give u more options later on down the road.

You can also buy the headband accessory and turn ur quark into a headlamp as well.

Nick

Last edited:

Danielsan

Enlightened
i have the H31 as EDC, its perfect and looks cool and uniqe, the SC models look more normal but still great. I like the shiny silver in combination with this green matt finish

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, can anyone comment on the difference in brightness between the SC51 and SC51w? The neutral color is more appealing, but the wow-factor of "200" lumens of the SC51 is as well.
Yeah, I have them both. The cool one is of course noticeably brighter than the w, but brightness isn't always everything. The w version rides in my pocket, the cool one is in the console of my car as a backup. In this case, tint trumps output.

pblanch

Enlightened
I have the ZL H51. The difference between 100lm and 200lm is very minimal to my eyes at night. 100lm is more than plenty. I walk trails at night with 30-50lm with comments of wow that's bright.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have them both and I prefer my Zebralight SC51w due to it´s natural color HA, smaller size and electronic button.

Both are great lights, but I confess my Zebralight looks (and feel) better than Quark AA.

Latest posts