So now I've picked my EDC, what about a 'House Light'?

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
House light-you know, comparable to the old 4 or 6 D lights or even those old [[Everready?] lights that used a 6V battery hanging from a flat panel with the light pointed to the front, sort of like a spotlight?

Options please for wide throw/distance and lots of energy to last longer than an hour in case of things like tornadoes or zombies?

Napalm

Enlightened
4xAA, 6xAA or 8xAA. Not so many choices. Fenix LD40, Jetbeam BA40, Sunwayman M40A, Wolf Eyes AK6, ITP Polestar A6, Fenix TK41 & TK45.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
We use Quark Mini AAs as our house lights; the one for the living room is a warm emitter model which is perfect for plenty of warm, cozy, ceiling-bounced light. They'll produce a big, broad beam for roughly four hours on max with an Energizer Lithium, much longer on the lower modes which is where they see the most use when carried.

If you prefer a big-body model for a house light, pick up a 10mm NiteIze LED MagLite upgrade at your local hardware store (it's the one where the LED takes up the entire base, not the small LED model); this will do over 90 hours in a 3D Mag..

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my TD-15X with 4xCR123A's in a holster hanging just next to the entrance door.

It's plenty bright at medium mode with good balance between flood and throw.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
YMMV, but for me, the criteria for a house light includes:
- Long runtime
- Uses AA, easy for non-flashaholics to replace and buy
- More flood than throw
- Tailstand-able
- No blinky modes
- Simple UI for all family members to operate, preferably just high and low.
- Easy to locate, so not too small (but this can be easily solved by having a dedicated placement area)

Some lights are Jetbeam BA20, Quark 2AA Tac, Zebralight H501 / H51, Sunwayman V20A / M40A / M20A, Fenix E21 / TK41, Solarforce L2R, ITP Polestar A6, Spark SL52, Xeno E15 XM-L.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF your willing to spend a little $$ then I would suggest the Fenix TK35 or the Olight SR51, you can use rechargeable 18650 or CR123's. Build up a supply of 18650's and/or CR123's and your good, they have very very long shelf life.

Samy

Enlightened
I use a TK-41 as my house light as i need something with punch when stepping outside. I keep a set of Eneloops in it and a full set of 8 spare so there's plenty of power always ready to go. I have other lights always ready to go but the TK-41 can really light up a room.

cheers

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
House light-you know, comparable to the old 4 or 6 D lights or even those old [[Everready?] lights that used a 6V battery hanging from a flat panel with the light pointed to the front, sort of like a spotlight?

Options please for wide throw/distance and lots of energy to last longer than an hour in case of things like tornadoes or zombies?

It's drawing you in closer and closer.......

Double_A

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
One light I like for home use is the Mag 2C with an old Magled module or the TerraLUX TLE-6EXB.I generally use lithium AAs in AA to C adapters to avoid leakage but C cells are on hand.The 2C is lighter and smaller than the various D models but still has the throw advantage you get with a Mag yet you can remove the head entirely and have all flood if you want.Everyone in the family can use the light and it is not so small that it is easily mis-placed.If you desire more runtime you can always keep the previously mentioned 10MM Nite-Ize Mag upgrade in the tailcap,you should still get some decent runtime with a couple of C cells.There are much better performing lights than the Mag with a drop-in but few are as user servicable and they are more expensive.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
It's drawing you in closer and closer.......

Double_A

Yeah, FL sighed at me and said "You're really getting off on this aren't you?"

I'm like "Yeah-I finally found out with the proper lighting I can see in any given circumstance." ;)

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
I use a TK-41 as my house light as i need something with punch when stepping outside. I keep a set of Eneloops in it and a full set of 8 spare so there's plenty of power always ready to go. I have other lights always ready to go but the TK-41 can really light up a room.

cheers

I just watched a couple of vids on the TK-41. Sweet.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
TK41 and TK45 are my house lights and fantastic they are.

Do they make any sort of a holster or belt clip for them? Not to be my EDC but the 41 would make an excellent old house raiding light to go with my [[[soon to buy EagleTac]].

The Fenix site had a lot of add-ons but nothing seemed to fit that particular light.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

afdk

Newly Enlightened
I like a light such as my Pelican 9410 rechargable lantern. It has a docking station that constantly is giving it's four NiMh D cells the correct matainance charge. I know it will be always ready for any household event.