Surefire L1 is officialy discontinued?

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read in Surefire website that L1 is officialy discontinued. Very sad news.

So... maybe they will think about the forgotten LX1? I still have faith...

Meanwhile, rest in peace L1... you were an amazing flashlight! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it was around, it did an amazing job. I hope they will look into the LX1. I prefer the slightly more compact package with the reverse clip.

Darvis

Enlightened
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I had to go to the site and see for myself and the big red letters are horrible!!!

This is a dark day.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a new one (sold my first one over a year ago... big regret) and I'm back in love :D

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now here comes the question. Would you guys regret holding onto the L1 should SF launch the LX1?

WDR65

Enlightened
Now here comes the question. Would you guys regret holding onto the L1 should SF launch the LX1?

No. Its still a great utility light. A small but comfortable in the hand package with plenty of throw and and decent runtime. If the LX1 was introduced I'd still keep my L1, it just might ride in my truck console as a backup or in a gear bag.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twas a sad day indeed, when I happened upon the SF website and saw those words...one of SF's best lights...and highly spoken of by alot of military guys who happened to have owned one...hopefully they'll come out with another interation of (one cell two-stage non-clicky) in the near future. I'm thinking of getting a third...I prefer the old L1 since it has the old-style knurling...not a big fan of the newer styling.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's still probably the best light they make. Or made.

Crazy.

Darvis

Enlightened
Right now, I think the current L1 is about as good as it gets, I mean, what doesn't it do? Takes primaries, RCRs, it's neither a clicky or a twisty but a great combo of both. On a 16340, it out throws any single 123 light I have... the list goes on.

Yes, definitely keeping mine and maybe would buy the new iteration, but as AOW said, the new styling leaves much to be desired. I'll be all over the E1B style clip, though.

I've come to realize over the years that older lights remain as viable as the newer lights (big surprise, right?); even more so in some cases as manufacturers shove in as many electronic "features" as they can in newer lights and especially if lumens are not what one is after... efficiency is great in the current model, output is far more than adequate. I think the current L1 will be the version that everyone laments about in a few years.

jonesy

Enlightened
That's a shame. I'm regretting selling mine a long time ago when Shot Show debuted the LX1 and I foolishly thought Surefire would sell it. Maybe I'll have to pick up one before it's too late.

How bright is it on a 16340? I have an E1B to compare it to.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Setting aside modded (milky) and hybrid lights (C2 with Malkoff M61HCRI), the L1 is my favorite (stock) SureFire.

It is too bad that it has been discontinued.

DREW297

Newly Enlightened
My l1 runs on an aw 16340 and is within a few lumens of my e2dl on primaries. So my estimate is a real 180 to 200 otf. And it is in my pocket right this. Minute. It is my favorite light to date.

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: 200 lumens, just when running a lithium rechargeable, please point to evidence as I know our eyes cant easily distinguish 40 lumens brighter give or take.

OK heres a question for you advanced surefire users/collectors.

I have just purchased my first L1 over at the marketplace, its the newer version with 65/10 lumens.

How does the tailcap work, I was under the impression it was a clicky with 2 notches, the way people say press for low press further for high??? but I read here that its neither a twisty or a clicky.

I dislike the stock Surefire 6P and C2 twisty/ momentary tailcaps because I usually turn my lights on and off with one hand, be it momentary or constant. Twisty lights make this awkward for me.

Have a done the right thing and bought an L1-HA-WH.

Sorry for hijacking but I didnt want to start a new thread for this stupid question.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the easiest of all. Push a little for low, push harder for high. Or twist it a little for low, twist it more for high.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought an L1 off the MP to replace the other one I sold a year or so back.

Next to my HDS/Ra lights, I'm thinking this is just about perfect to drop into a pair of jeans, or a jacket pocket in colder weather. I may have to pick up another one.

Had and E1L. Nice, but it just didn't fit well in my hand. Have E21s - great lights, but too big for regular pocket carry, and the L1 UI is better (my favorite, I think, next to HDS). Have an L4 -very bright, great beam, but, only one level.

The L1 UI is the only one I've found, other than the HDS, which really seems to work for both a general utuility light (EDC) AND a tactical light, and for the latter, I think I'd give it the edge over the HDS, for simplicity, and for the simple hard press bringing it into Hi mode. Under stress, fine motor skills deteriorate and if you just jab at the L1's swith, you get Hi, which is what you'd want. Not sure where I'd end up on either of my Clicky's if the SHTF and I fumbled the light. :eek:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah it makes sense now, not a clicky but a 2 stage momentary press button with a 2 stage twisty, the tailcap must have 2 different levels of connections inside it to be able to interact like that.

archimedes

Flashaholic
OK heres a question for you advanced surefire users/collectors.

I have just purchased my first L1 over at the marketplace, its the newer version with 65/10 lumens.

How does the tailcap work, I was under the impression it was a clicky with 2 notches, the way people say press for low press further for high??? but I read here that its neither a twisty or a clicky.

I dislike the stock Surefire 6P and C2 twisty/ momentary tailcaps because I usually turn my lights on and off with one hand, be it momentary or constant. Twisty lights make this awkward for me.

Have a done the right thing and bought an L1-HA-WH.

It sounds like you might prefer an E1L (with newer two-level head) or E1B, as both of those are clickies. E1L is low-first, E1B is high-first.

The L1 tail-switch functions much like that of a C2 or 6P, press for momentary or twist for constant on. The main difference is a resistor that can limit the output, to give two levels of available light. So, lightly pressing the switch (or a partial twist) provides low, and pressing or twisting further gives full output. One-handed operation will still limit you to momentary use.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be all over the E1B style clip, though.

What's stopping you? :whistle: Putting the E1B clip on my L1 was the ONLY thing this light needed IMO. (well, I'm also using a red filter from a Olight Ti Infintium on it because it's slimmer than the SF one.)

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the correct size O-ring for that groove around the head? I want to put a GITD on there.

Latest posts