"SR 51 - Short Review - No Pics or Beamshots"

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
Got it! It arrived yesterday and I took it out last night for its' first "dark". Also took out my M20 R2 to see just how much brighter this light was, etc. Using a neighbor's house up a hill at a distance of about 175 yards I first hit it with the M20. It was nice and dark as the moon hadn't had risen above the tree line yet and we have no street lights or other light distractions in our area. I could see the house clearly and was actually surprised at how well the M20 lit it up at that distance as it had been quite a while since I had done this. I next tried the SR 51 at the low power setting and found the beam to be almost identical to that of the M20 as both were at 250 lumens. It was of course a bigger beam with more side spill. It also did a fine job of lighting up the house. Then things changed drastically. I switched the SR 51 over to high power and hit the button. WOW!!! What an amazing difference it made. That beam of light made the M20 beam seem like a 2 cell Maglite. The entire house got lit up like a Christmas tree with a great hotspot and enough spill along the way, and at the house itself, to see anything that was out there creeping around in the dark. Well defined beam, no artifacts or other diffraction factors that tend to make the beam and hotspot either distorted or uneven. I am going to to our local park soon where I can do some longer distance shots to see how far this thing really throws but from what I could determine from last night, this light is definitely a winner IMHO. Maybe it's not in the big leagues like the SR 90 and others in the over 2000 lumen category are, but for its size, weight, included accessories, and price, the SR 51 is a great little light.......

Wish I could do the pics and beamshots thing like some of you pros do but unfortunately I never learned all that camera/computer stuff so this is all I can offer at this time. Am I glad I purchased the SR 51? ABSOLUTELY, without question...!!!

Light me up Scotty...........Terry:grin2:

Last edited:

MTL-TL

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on the light. I'm thinking bout getting this lite too. Please take some beamshots just to give an idea, doesnt matter the setting of ur camera. As for the reflector, how texturized is it? Is it really lite, did u ask if u could get it with a smooth reflector? And does 18650 battery carrier comes free or to be purchased seperately ?

jtice

Flashaholic
That describes it very well, it may not be the brightest thing out there, but for its size and cost, I think its one of the best bangs for buck out there for the 800 to 1000 lumen range.
I love the diffuser filter that is included, really makes it alot more versatile. My ONLY complaint about this light is that I would like to have even more than 2 output levels.
I hope to get to some beamshots this weekend.

mode-locker

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like another positive review. I am thinking of getting this light as well. Love the form factor and styling of the light. Please take beamshots. How is the tint on your SR51 and how does it compare to the M20's tint?

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like another positive review. I am thinking of getting this light as well. Love the form factor and styling of the light. Please take beamshots. How is the tint on your SR51 and how does it compare to the M20's tint?

I did notice that at low power the tints of both the SR 51 and the M20 were very similar in color. Just a hint of yellow in the beam and hotspot but not to where it bothers me. On high power however the beam tint on the SR 51 whitened out considerably and I could really see the difference between it and the M20 at that point. I prefer a whiter beam and in fact that is why I moved away from my original ASP Triad light as it tended to have a yellow tint to it. I am very pleased with the SR 51 so far. Sorry I am not able to show any pics or beamshots. I expected to see the banner "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WIThOUT PICS" and thank those who do that for not doing so this time. Oh oh, think I may have just opened Pandora's Box with that statement...........Ha! I know there are many other lights out there that put out some decent lumens and that will give the SR 51 a run for the money so I guess it all comes down to what each of us likes in terms of styling, performance and value. I have some issues with Olight and their claims as to throw. This light in no way will throw a beam out to 700 YARDS, let alone 700 METERS. I'd say based on what I've seen so far, it will probably go out to around 300 to 350 yards and maybe even to 400 yards under ideal conditions? That's a goodly distance for a small handheld light like the SR 51 is IMHO.................

Regards, Terry

offthetrail

Newly Enlightened
That describes it very well, it may not be the brightest thing out there, but for its size and cost, I think its one of the best bangs for buck out there for the 800 to 1000 lumen range.
I love the diffuser filter that is included, really makes it alot more versatile. My ONLY complaint about this light is that I would like to have even more than 2 output levels.
I hope to get to some beamshots this weekend.

It looks and sounds just like an Eagleta M3C4 XM-L but with fewer levels.

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on the light. I'm thinking bout getting this lite too. Please take some beamshots just to give an idea, doesnt matter the setting of ur camera. As for the reflector, how texturized is it? Is it really lite, did u ask if u could get it with a smooth reflector? And does 18650 battery carrier comes free or to be purchased seperately ?
The reflector is of the orange peel type but not a heavy textured orange peel. Very similar to that of the M20. I don't know yet if a smooth reflector is available for it but I would imagine one will be shortly. The carrier for the 18650 batteries is supposed to be included at n/c according to what I have seen coming from a couple of dealers and from Olight as well. For all orders placed thru August. The dealer I purchased mine from told me that he had to pay for it but is not charging me for it. I am guessing that it is up to each dealer as to whether they will include it at n/c or not................

Regards, Terry

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
Re: "SR 51 - Short Review - No Pics or Beamshots" - - UPDATE

First chance last night to go down to the local park and do some longer beamshots with this light. It actually surprised me at how far it can throw in a nice dark open space. I was lighting up trees and several outbuildings at distances up to about 450 yards with no problem. I still don't feel it can throw out to 700 meters as Olight claims it will but I'm happy with with it and love the beam of light it does put out. Nice and clean with no artifacts and just the right amount of spill for me to compliment that great tight beam. I had my 15 MCP spotlight along so lit it up also and the SR51 held its own against that monster light. The spot did out throw it by a hundred or so more yards and was a tad brighter, albeit on the yellowish side of beam color due to the halogen bulb's kelvin rating. I much prefer the color of the SR51 as it displays more detail in objects both close in, and out at a distance. Overall this is one very nice light. For the money spent I can't see anything out there right now that will do anything more than it will. Notice I did say "for the money". Other lights that throw further and are brighter cost a lot more that the SR51 so IMHO it holds the title of most bang for the buck currently. Sorry still not able to post pics of beamshots like the pros on this forum do but if you are considering a light in this category, you won't be disappointed in buying the SR51. Next jump up the ladder for me will be either the SR90, its equivalent when it comes time to buy it, or possibly I'll jump the Olight ship and try the Fenix TK70 as from what I've seen of it, it too is one heck of 2200 lumen bargain as it costs way less than the SR90 in price................

Light me up Scotty...........Terry

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
Re: "SR 51 - Short Review - No Pics or Beamshots" - - UPDATE

I've had my SR51 long enough now to have used it many different times and under several different conditions. I am very happy I bit the bullet and bought this light. It may not be the most powerful light on the block and I wish it did have one lower level of brightness at around 50 lumes or so but other than that, this light is one powerful handful of brilliant light. Love the diffuser that came with it for indoor use and in areas outdoors where a piercing beam of light isn't needed but a brightly lit large area is. Very user friendly in terms of switching from High to Low and Strobe, leaving the other hand free to do other things. Someday I want to own the mighty SR90 or its equivalent at the time of purchase but for now the SR51 does everything I want and need it to do and more. Good work Olight, you gave us a very powerful but small light at a very reasonable pricepoint. Just think, maybe someday down the road there will be an SR90 type of light that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy. Now that would really be nice................

Light me up Scotty...........Terry