Two headed post: Groomsman's gift and rechargeables

Halo7

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

A week ago I knew next to nothing about high end flashlights, but after poking around these forums for a while I've learned a great deal (but boy is there still a lot to learn). So first of all, thanks for sharing all your knowledge and taking the time to post everything you do. I'm hoping you all can share some more of your knowledge with me for the following:

I'll be getting married in January and I thought a good flashlight would make a great groomsman's' gift. Practical and, in the right situation, a lifesaver. My budget is in the $40-60 range (although if there's something really out standing for $70 that I haven't seen/don't know about, I might be able to make it work) and I think I've decided on the Sunwayman M20C R2. It has good light output, got good reviews on build quality, is easily adjusted via a magnetic ring (as opposed to multiple clicky pushes), goes for $60 at Battery Junction and runs on CR123's so the batteries have a long shelf-life.

That was so you could see the thinking behind my choice and hopefully point out any flaws in my logic. As far as the battery choice, I considered AA vs. CR123 for non-flashaholics, but when it came down to it, it seems like the CR123's are a better power source, and all of my groomsmen are fairly tech-savy and geeky and would probably think a light that runs on lithium cells as opposed to alkalines is the neatest thing since the iPhone.

This leads me to the next part. I'm planning on purchasing an M20C for myself here shortly to...uh...make sure this light would be an appropriate gift ;) (this will be my first high-end torch), and I thought getting some rechargeable 18650 would be a good idea. That is until I started reading about how if not handled properly, rechargeable Li-ion's can catch fire or EXPLODE! I know that I need to do more reading about batteries, but I know nothing about testing voltages/amperages. So the question really boils down to, should I hold off and just use CR123's for a while until I have a better understanding of batteries and how to avoid these dangers, or is a fire/smoke incident one of those things are, in this day and age, very rare and I'd probably be ok to pick up some 18650's to run my light?

Thanks in advance.

swan

Banned
Gday, i think the 18650s get a bad wrap, i mean most power tools ,computers etc use li ion without problems. Just get quality protected cells and matching charger and you will have longer runtimes , dont have to pay for new primaries.I have been using 18650s for 4 mths now and highly recommend them.Also the light your getting should have inbuillt discharge protection meaning it wont run under 50%[charge under load] which ensures long term reliability.