What flashlight to buy for my Nana?

someguy4747

Newly Enlightened
So I I have given a lot of lights to my family but I assumed my Nana would not want one. I found out that she was a bit disappointed that I did not get her a flashlight for her most recent birthday. Anyway, I am going camping with my grandparents in two weeks and want to have a flashlight to give to her. I am completely unsure of what to get her.

I think she would appreciate a light with several modes but it would need to be in a UI that she can effectively use.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I want a quality light but the cheaper the better. I consider Fenix and Quark to be good quality.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

1 or 2 AA 3-7inches long. Not too heavy.

5) Emitter/Light source:

Led

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

My Nana has always used Lithium AA or AAA primaries and stocks them. She is a natural flashaholic!

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I am sure the brighter the better. She will appreciate the brighter light when camping but the typical 100-200 lumens out of AA lights should be fine. It does need to have accessible low modes as well.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

0-50 yards.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

I want the light to put out 100 lumens for 60-90 minutes(not necessarily on max) (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Important. I want to get her something nice that will not break if she drops it. I don't expect her to be rough on this light.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

She seems to like my lights with rear clicky's. I'm not sure she knows the difference between reverse and forward but I do not think she be able to do half clicks so I want to say a forward clicky would be best for rear clicky suggestions.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want a multimode light that my Nana can use. I think half clicks are out of the question. She can use the Quark mini but I would like to get her something that is regulated and has a clicky. Am I stuck with a Quark tactical UI or E21 UI?

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum is fine. I want the light to be able to dissipate heat fast enough that she can use the light on max till the batteries die without harm.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

OP reflector probably mostly for my peace of mind. :sssh:

I think she would appreciate and use a lanyard hole. She may also like to tail stand a light. I also feel that anti roll is never a bad thing.

So far I have thought a Fenix E21 would be nice though it lacks multiple modes but I believe she could effectively use it. She can use a quark AA2 but I would prefer a rear clicky and regulation. I have also thought of a Quark tactical but I feel it would be a waste as once I programed it she would never use any other modes. I also think a Preon 2 would be easier for her than a regular quark or fenix lights since you just turn it on and off until you get the brightness you want with a low chance of finding blinking modes. I know a lot of you love zebralights for their UI but I don't understand how they work as I have never owned one and the explanation on their site confuses me. Could my nana work a Zebralight?

So my front runner is an E21 at the moment. Let me know if you guys think this is a good choice or bad or what other lights you would recommend for her specific needs. Thanks in advance!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
When AA lights are considered ZebraLight must be in the running. Get her somthing special so she no longer has a glimmer of hurt feelings. H51c, SC50c or SC50(on sale). I thing the H would be hood as they are really angle lights or headlamps... and the love lithium AA. She will like the UI I bet.

The LD01 seems like a natural as well, given your preferences, or maybe the LD15. In general I like E05, many AAA in Stainless lights, LD01, Zebra AA, MicroStream, and lights with simple control ring UIa for gift lights. I always try to start then small with a single cell light.

Last edited: