Help me find a 2AA flashlight with very low output for kids night light. Single level

Grumpy

Enlightened
A girl at work asked me if I could find a 2AA flashlight that her kid could use for a night light. It would need to be really dim so if her boy left it on it would not run the batteries down fast. Just something that would comfort him while he slept. It must not have any bright levels that could get hot and cause any harm. Does anyone make such a light? I would think that single level would be best but I can't think of any light made for this purpose. I know that some light can run for weeks at a very low level and that is what I am looking for but in a single level only because of the safety factor. It does not have to be 2AA but should use AA batteries and probably more than one so that it would not be too small and more batteries would help with runtime..

$25 is the very most she could spend....

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
How about a Mini-Mag with one of the various LED dropins? Hell, PM me your address and I'll send you one complete with blue LED's... got one gathering dust here. Could use a good home. :)

bbb74

Enlightened
Quark 2xAA tactical, with both high and low set to moon or low mode? Pretty unlikely a young kid will figure out how to reprogram the modes :)

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
My daughter has been using a Rayovac Brilliant Solutions™ LED 2AA Flashlight. It just has a 5mm LED behind a focusing optic. The optic gives it enough throw to make sure that nothing scary is creeping out of the closet. However, it is dim enough that it can't keep her up & it runs forever on a set of batteries. As an added bonus, it comes in bright cheerful colors (red, blue, & green) & you should be able to find it for less than $5.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

My 4yr old loves the PAL and so do I, if you want AA as suggested to Quark 2xAA Tactical programed to one of the lowest settings should work as well. Check out the PAL-light though they have a very low nite light type of mode that stays on content but also has a a switch that can turn it on for a brighter mode, not to bright though. I've had mine for over 6 months and still have the same battery in it, I was skeptical with the constant night light the battery would run down but it does not, still going strong.

We have the Star models which have two modes, the constant glow and then a higher mode and that higher mode will revert back to glow mode after 25 minutes of turning on to save battery.

http://www.palights.com/store/safe-light-star-led-flashlight.html

Imon

Enlightened
The PALight is interesting but the thing I hate about mine is that it's constantly "on"

I know this is one of the feature of the light (the glow mode) but it's rather annoying when you consider:
1. It's not even remotely bright - it's not even a moon mode you have to have it literally an inch away from something if you want to make out any details.
2. Most of the battery life will be wasted on this "glow mode" and after about 3-4 months the glow mode will continue to glow but the medium and high mode will not be as bright as when you first bought it. Also 9V batteries are pricey.

I never though I would recommend a Gerber light ..... but here I am.
If you don't have anything against a 1AA lights try looking for a Gerber Infinity [Ultra] light. The Ultra version is the newer one and is a bit brighter than the older version with slightly reduced runtime. They're both single mode and under 10 lumens of output.

summer

Newly Enlightened
If it would be used mainly as a night light, maybe she can consider something like a solar powered led lantern? Won't need batteries, and looks more fun than a flashlight. Maybe something similar to this:

419K8hOTcpL._SS400_.jpg

Regarding 2AA flashlights, the mini mag would be a nice option.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
direct driving an efficient 5mm LED off 2AA yields a lot of runtime especially off mediocre nimh batteries. Any bipin incan can be converted to LED if you ream out the reflector. A cheap $1 2AA swivel light with a cree 110 degree 5mm LED makes for a pretty long running light. I got to where I leave this lights on lighting up stuff and just recharge the batteries every few weeks.

U

User3451

Scout24 thats very kind if you! I know this post has nothing to do with me but if you ever want anything from the UK (within reason lol) let me know & ill post it because I like people like you : )

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for a 4Sevens Quark Tactical. They're reasonably priced and have one of the lowest lows available that will last for days.

Last edited:

wamcneil

Newly Enlightened
How about a cheap DX ultrafire 2xAA light and 4x eneloop batteries/charger?
Sure, it won't have 45-day moonlight runtime on one set of batteries, but the kid will certainly be asleep by the time the light dies and the batteries can be recharged 1500 times.
Swap them out for a charged pair every day and she shouldn't need to buy batteries for about 10 years.

Napalm

Enlightened
The "flashaholic grade" 2AA lights will generally have multiple modes with a rather powerful high.

Your best bet for a low output single mode 2AA is to look at the inexpensive lights offered in supermarts. Dorcy, Garrity, Rayovac, Energizer etc.

Nap.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The only one I can think of is the Quark that people have mentioned but at $60 that wont work. I would say just get rechargeable AA's encase its left on.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest one of the PALights or a Fenix E01.

I gave my 3 y.o. daughter my old E01 and she loves it. Runs all night on a AAA nimh, and is unregulated, so you can put a nearly dead cell in it and it will give a nice dim output.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
My suggestion is the Palight "Handyman" model. It can be switched totally off (unlike the other models), it has 3 different levels of brightness, and even the brightest isn't bright enough to damage eyes. If tightened properly little hands won't be able to dissassemble it without tools. Encased in a robust rubber casing, too big to swallow by children.

If auto switch-off is required (to preserve batteries), then their "Star" model is better. Both models can run on used smode detector (9V) batteries for ages, thus getting use from something that would otherwise be thrown away.

http://www.palights.com/store/safe-light-handyman-led-flashlight.html

http://www.palights.com/store/safe-light-star-led-flashlight.html

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Question to the OP....why does it have to be a AA flashlight, and not a proper night light that can plug into an outlet.

It's been my experience with young kids that they either lose the flashlight quickly, run the batteries out in a single night, or disassemble it.

I'll wait for an answer before I make any recommendations, if I have any.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking the same... why 2X AA? could it be that your coworker does not know about the diversity of available formats?

If small size is not an issue, I would recommend a Fenix E01... you could use the lanyard hole to attach it to a teddy bear to make it harder to lose (then again, no one know if it will stay attached for long)