TK41 -TK60?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so it's been a while since I bought a new flashlight (last year in fact). I'm looking at either the TK41 or TK60 because essentially they are the same light and what ever I buy I will run it on eneloops.

I have a TK40 already and it's a great light, but it doesn't throw as far as my XP-G modded mag I have driven at 1.2A, but it's a tight hotspot that doesn't have much spill compared to the TK40.

Big lights don't bother me so size is not a factor (I actually like the 4D size). Price is of little difference though the TK60 is a little cheaper ($20 cheaper where I will be purchasing from), and also has the added advantage that it can run off D's if I so wished (though I can't think why) and is also baton like.

Your thoughts folks if you don't mind. Especially from those that have the TK40 and a TK41 or TK60 to compare.

bighest

Newly Enlightened
I also have a tk40 and wanted a better thrower so i went with the TK60 as i wanted more runtime and a big light. It appears that the TK41 is brighter though....
Go onto youtube type in "flashlight comparison part 2:fenix tk60" by goingprepared watch it and then type "flashlight comparison part 2:fenix TK41"
you'll see from there that they both greAt throwers, but the tk41 look alot brighter.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the TK60 yesterday, tried it out last night. It's pretty darn bright and throws well too. It's not as spotty as I expected from some comments made here about it on CPF, which is a good thing. There's quite a halo of light surrounding the fairly solid hotspot. Easily illuminates things at 200 metres. Beyond that and it's making light, but you'd not be able to distinguish the difference between two people. Thought you'd certainly be able to spot someone at 300m, just wouldn't recognize them.

There's an ever so slight donut hole that's noticable on solid surfaces, but nothing you notice when in real world use. Used it on high for about 20 minutes straight and it only got a little warm, and hardly drained the batteries. I love it, my new favourite for now. Me thinks I will be saving for the TK70 now.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find TK60 to be an attractive light, especially if using 3 batteries. Then I would prefer it before TK41. Putting in 3D cells is much easier than 8AAs in a carrier, and it would be just a bit longer. The stated runtime at turbo mode with 4D NiMh cells is 4+ hours.
Anyone who knows if the only difference with 3 NiMh cells will be the runtime? If so it should be ~3hours.

bighest

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

I should get my Tk60 next week, I just wanted to know if any of you have been running it on 3 D cells and what type of run time do you get on turbo only using 3 D cells.

I currently have old GP 4500 mah battery, what are the best slow discharge D cell batteries with a high "mah" on the market?

Last question, is the Tk41 brighter because it has a higher voltage from 8 batteries to 4? I saw it was brighter on youtube

Your post has been merged. - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

bighest

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

I should get my Tk60 next week, I just wanted to know if any of you have been running it on 3 D cells and what type of run time do you get on turbo only using 3 D cells.

I currently have old GP 4500 mah battery, what are the best slow discharge D cell batteries with a high "mah" on the market?

Last question, is the Tk41 brighter because it has a higher voltage from 8 batteries to 4? I saw it was brighter on youtube

Anyone???

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can only answer the voltage question. No it doesn't have higher voltage than the TK60. It has 2 parallel sets of 4 cells, making a battery that is the same voltage as 4 D cells, and twice the capacity of one AA cell.
Take a read of this review:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-TK41-with-measurements-and-outdoor-beamshots
It explains the battery layout, and has graphs that show the voltage etc.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys

First question: I would assume (from experience) that running on 3 D's instead of four will net you around 2/3 to 3/4 the runtime. Still impressive in my book.

Second question: Accupower 10,000mah D's. I'm about to order some from batteryjunction. They cost 2.5 times as much if I buy them here.

Third question: No, the TK41 is no brighter than the TK60. I know this because I went and bought a TK41 also (what can I say, you buy both right?) and in fact the TK60 throws a little further, but it's not because it's a TK60.

There's obviously some tolerances allowed in manufacturing that allow for the led to sit higher or lower in relation to the reflector and in this case it has resulted with the TK41 having a hotspot around 10% larger than the TK60, resulting in noticable but not drastic reduction in throw.

That said, either light is a great choice but if I could have only one, it would be the TK60 because in three cell mode it just looks right. That and the super long runtimes on ni-mh D's.

Another thing I've noticed is that neither light is as well built as my TK40. The threads are not as smooth, there were minor defects in the anno on the TK41. The battery carrier in the TK41 is nowhere near as well built as that in the TK40. It might be strong enough, but there isn't that beauty in the design and execution that the TK40 carrier has.

The TK60 has a section of the reflector that is ever so slightyly textured, and there's some noticable machining marks on the TK41 battery tube that shouldn't be there. If I were a fussy person I'd send it back, but it's going to get a few bruises soon enough.

Also the buttons are not consistent. The TK41 has an very audible click on the cycle button and almost zero noise from the power button. On the TK60 it's the other way around. No big deal really, just one of those things you notice.

They are both great lights and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending either of them.

Last edited:

bighest

Newly Enlightened
First question: I would assume (from experience) that running on 3 D's instead of four will net you around 2/3 to 3/4 the runtime. Still impressive in my book.

Second question: Accupower 10,000mah D's. I'm about to order some from batteryjunction. They cost 2.5 times as much if I buy them here.

Third question: No, the TK41 is no brighter than the TK60. I know this because I went and bought a TK41 also (what can I say, you buy both right?) and in fact the TK60 throws a little further, but it's not because it's a TK60.

There's obviously some tolerances allowed in manufacturing that allow for the led to sit higher or lower in relation to the reflector and in this case it has resulted with the TK41 having a hotspot around 10% larger than the TK60, resulting in noticable but not drastic reduction in throw.

That said, either light is a great choice but if I could have only one, it would be the TK60 because in three cell mode it just looks right. That and the super long runtimes on ni-mh D's.

Another thing I've noticed is that neither light is as well built as my TK40. The threads are not as smooth, there were minor defects in the anno on the TK41. The battery carrier in the TK41 is nowhere near as well built as that in the TK40. It might be strong enough, but there isn't that beauty in the design and execution that the TK40 carrier has.

The TK60 has a section of the reflector that is ever so slightyly textured, and there's some noticable machining marks on the TK41 battery tube that shouldn't be there. If I were a fussy person I'd send it back, but it's going to get a few bruises soon enough.

Also the buttons are not consistent. The TK41 has an very audible click on the cycle button and almost zero noise from the power button. On the TK60 it's the other way around. No big deal really, just one of those things you notice.

They are both great lights and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending either of them.

Thanks so much for all the info!! really appreciate it!! now i can't wait to get hold of it!!

Benz99

Newly Enlightened
Anyone who knows if the only difference with 3 NiMh cells will be the runtime?

I read on a TK60 review (either here on CPF or amazon) that if you run it just with the 3 D cells you cannot select turbo as an output option. it keeps dropping down to the next brightest setting after a few seconds.