A Look @ Streamlight Night Com LED and Sidewinder Compact

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen much on here about any of Streamlights products and let curiosity get the better of me. I haven't have them long but thought I would give my "first impressions" here. I don't claim to be a wordsmith or a photographer so please forgive the crudeness of this "review" if you will.

First up is the Night Com LED.

It's almost identical in length to my C2 with crenelated bezel. The Night Com has a tail switch AND a 4 position dial at the head. Going clockwise starting at the 12 o'clock it goes SAFETY(lockout), NV LED(ultra low red), HI LED(red), LIGHT(cree XR-E)

NOTE: I did sand the two ultra bright red leds because the beam was horrible with artifacts, this seemed to clear it up totally.

The Specs

C4® LED TECHNOLOGY / NIGHT VISION PRESERVATION FLASHLIGHT

C4® LED technology, 2-3X brighter than High Flux LED
C4 LED: 4,500 candela peak beam intensity; 105 lumens
Runs up to 3.5 hrs
(2) Ultra-Bright Red LEDs: 2.5 lumens; Runs up to 28 hrs; for use when true night vision preservation is NOT necessary
Indicator Type LED: Preserves complete dark adaptation per MIL-1472D (<0.05 lumens); for use when true night vision preservation IS necessary
Dual Switch System features an engineered tailcap switch for Power On/Power Off and signal
Tailcap switch: On/Off and Signal Mode Select Sequence; (2) Ultra-Bright LEDs /(1) Indicator-type LED / C4 LED / Safe
Powered two 3V CR123A lithium batteries
Corrosion-resistant anodized aircraft aluminum construction
Limited lifetime warranty

Camera on manual settings.

Light Set on NV LED <0.05 lumens. One 5mm red indicator LED. This is a true ultra low red that makes the 0.07 of my RA Clicky look bright.

Light set on HI LED. Two ultra bright red 5mm LEDS 2.5 lumens, looks brighter too me but I'm no expert.

Light set to the main beam. Cree XR-E 105 lumens. This beam is focused for throw. I went out last night while there was a mist in the air and the beams angle is pretty much on par with the Malkoff M60, though obviously not as bright. I was surprised how far this thing reached compared to some of my others. The tint of the XR-E is the PUREST of white to my eye and I tend to be picky.

Over-all my only real complaint with this light so far is the lens is pressed/glued in.
I bought the Night Com because my wife asked me for a light for her car. The safety lockout and sub $40 price is what sold me on this one.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next up Streamlight Sidewinder Compact

I have been curious about this one for a while so I though I would give it a try. I must say that this little thing is neat! It runs on ONE cr123 and weighs almost nothing. For fun I pulled a cr123 from my RA Clicky that read 2.6V (dead) and put it in the sidewinder. It fired up fine but only had the lowest TWO modes of each color. Pushing the button brings it on in the lowest mode and holding the button cycles up through the modes and then back down until you let go. A double click from OFF goes to strobe in any color. As with the Night Com, the main beam is truly white although its not the prettiest shape but it does get the job done. It doesn't list the output but it is almost as bright to the eye as my HDS 140GT after the burst steps down.

COMPACT ARTICULATING HEAD MOUNTABLE FLASHLIGHT

Super lightweight and versatile hands-free helmet light clips onto helmet or MOLLE in seconds.

Team Soldier Certified Gear
Twenty flashlights in one! Engineered to meet a variety of hands-free task illumination requirements.
Each LED features 4 levels of output intensities: Low (5%); Medium 1 (25%); Medium 2 (60%); High (100%) plus a Strobe function (100%)
C4® LED, shock-proof with a 50,000 hour lifetime
Sidewinder Compact Light Output and Battery Run Time
Pull-to-turn locking rotary selector knob prevents accidental mode changes and allows selection of 4 illumination sources: White C4 LED; IR or Green LED (depending on model); Red LED; Blue LED – tactile indicator on rotary knob for IR LED position
Push button switch enables/disables selected illumination source starting at low output and progressing to highest output in 4 discrete steps
Rubber dome actuator and 4-position pull-to-turn locking rotary selector knob with IR tactile indicator offers easy operation even when wearing heavy gloves
Double click button from off to initiate high output strobe of selected white or colored LED illumination source
Clips onto helmet with helmet mount accessory. Fully rotates on mount in either direction. Sidewinder Compact is available with or without helmet mount.
Durable belt/clothing clip with integral helmet mount features allow for hands-free use
Articulating 185° rotating head
Lithium battery allows for operation in extreme temperatures (-40°F-150°F)
O-ring sealed for waterproof operation. Meets MIL-STD-810F, Method 512.4
Battery cartridge fits (1) 3V CR123A lithium battery (included)
High-impact, super-tough combat-ready nylon case
2.4 oz. with lithium battery 3.3 oz. with lithium battery and optional helmet mount
One year limited warranty
Available in the following models and light configurations:
Military Model – White/Red/IR-IFF/Blue (starts on low & progressively brightens)

Camera set same as with Night Com.

Main on low

Main on high

RED on low

RED on high

Blue on low

Blue on high

It also has IR but I really don't have a use for it .(maybe one day) They have a sportsman model too that has green instead of IR but it comes on high to low instead of low to high like this one.

There's not really much more to say at this point but I do kind of like the little thing so far, we will see after a few days at work. If I clip it on one of the buckles of my Zebralight H501w it stays put and feels solid and doesn't shake so far.

Hope I didn't bore anyone :laughing:,

Jamie

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice reviews and pics, think2x.

The NightCom always interested me, and it looks very nice from your review. But I've given up buying anything that uses CR123 cells. If Streamlight made a 2AA version NightCom, I'd definitely get one.

The compact Sidewinder is very interesting too. Looks great for use by the military and possibly first reponders to clip to helmet or turnout gear.

My regular 2AA Sidewinder is one of the best all around utility and outdoor lights available, bar none IMO.

Streamlight is my favorite manufacturer because they offer a huge variety of very innovative lights. Streamlight designers won't hesitate to try out new, unorthodox designs and that approach produces some fantastic lights.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small update on the Sidewinder.

I carried the Sidewinder at work and just didn't ENJOY the main beam so I got an idea. I removed the four screws on the front of the lens cover, opened it up, pulled the reflector out and replaced the lens/cover and screwed it back down.
With the reflector missing it has turned the Sidewinder into a whole new light! It now floods like an Zebralight H501 and looks to be about the same output as my H501w. I can now honestly say I enjoy this light. Now if I can find a practical way to can/hold it.(headband, pocket clipped.....?)
NOTE: I just ordered the headband made for the Sidewinder. (It wasn't easy to find, mostly because it wasn't listed as "headband") I will update after it arrives.

Reflectorless low

Reflectoreless high

Roughly 12" from wall on medium1

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's primaries only. I did however find a Runtime/Output Chart

By the chart, the main beam should be

Low= 2.75 lumens
Med1= 13.75 lumens
Med2= 33 lumens
High= 55 lumens

The sidewinder and H501w looked to have the same output both set to low.

Last edited: