Wuben        
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ZebraLight Cust Serv/Quality

Flashaholic

Default ZebraLight Cust Serv/Quality

I have long been a Zebralight fan [I used and wrote the first review of the H50 in 2007, http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Zebralight-Q5]. My first Zebralights have been heavily used and very reliable in use all over the world!!

But recently I have had a bad experience and am wondering if this is an anomaly or a more widely shared experience.

On April 16, 2011 I ordered two lights [SC51 and HC51F]
    4/26/11 Rec'd two lights, SC51 defective, would not remain on for more than a few seconds
    4/27 — 5/16 Exchanged emails with Lilian at Zebralight, attempting to make it work; implication in each email was that I did not know what I was doing/saying; substantial delays in her replies to my emails
    5/17/11 After authorization by Lilian, returned defective SC51 to Zebralight, TX
    5/29/11 email from Lilian: "Will ship this week"
    6/21/11 — no light, no email; sent email inquiry, got no reply
    Late June finally rec'd a new light shipped from China.

The attitude [brusque, uninformative and skeptical of my data] and promptness [2 1/2 months from order to receipt of working light] of responses really put me off. If I had not already owned (3) H50 lights that I had put thru such extensive service, I would certainly have bailed on the brand.

Is my experience shared by others? Or is this just bad luck?

John
    Last edited by photonhoer; 07-17-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Flashaholic

Default Re: ZebraLight Cust Serv/Quality

I actually dealt with their customer service a couple months back. I lost the tailcap for my sc51 and needed a replacement. They answered all of my emails within 24 hours and shipped out my tailcaps from china which did take 3 weeks to get to the states. Overall all i was very pleased with their customer service.

I would say that you're incredibly lucky seeing as though you've owned three H50s for 2+ years and haven't had any problems with them. I owned two (was an early adopter as well) and they each only worked properly for maybe 2-3 weeks apiece before exhibiting questionable behavior.

Man, that's too bad about your lights. I guess all light brands will have problems once in a while.
    I've had my SC51 for awhile now, and I've never had it even flicker on me. I would say it has to be the most reliable of all my lights.

The anodizing is slightly blotchy in a couple of spots on my H501. Other than that, I've had no problems in the few months of fairly heavy use.. Overall I'm pleased with the quality.

I have a pair of H50s. I have used 1 for ~3 years with zero problems.
    The only problem I've had with any of my ZebraLights has been a cracked lens on an H501w. The light was still working and the crack probably wouldn't have been noticed with a "normal" user.
    I think their designs are very innovative and sometimes "new" designs/parts have unexpected bugs.
    H50 *2
    H501w * 2
    H501r
    H60
    SC60w * 3
    I've had an additional H60, H50 and several H501s pass through my hands on the way to friends with no problems from them either. Unless Lillian is on vacation, queries submitted through their website have always been promptly answered.

G27

This thread wasn't started to discuss QC issues about Zebralight and their products. It was started to ask if anyone else had problems with Customer Service when they had a problem with one of their lights. All companies have an occasional bad light out of the box, what said company does when a product is returned for warranty is a different issue. I have returned two non-Zebralight lights that have had issues and 4Sevens and LightJunction solved the issues better than expected.

I have also contacted Zebralight before and have always had a quick response. This leads me to believe that they ignore when they want.

I wasn't going to post on this subject until I recieved my repaired or replaced SC600. Since photonhoer asked, I'll chime in.

Here is a quick check list concerning my ongoing warranty claim.

• Dissapointing and ambiguous response when initially contacting ZL about problem. Check
    • No contact from ZL to let me know that they recieved light and what is up. Check- The only way I knew that they recieved my light is that I purchased Delivery Confirmation through USPS.
    • When I do try and contact them after three weeks, they have completely ignored me. Check
    • It has now been four weeks and I have heard nothing from ZL whatsoever. Check

I will give a more detailed review when my light arrives. I have seen several posts with similar stories that, oddly enough, I feel confident my warranty claim will be fulfilled.

Also, sorry if my post sounds sour. I am a bit annoyed about the process.
    Last edited by fnsooner; 07-18-2011 at 10:45 AM.

My opinion, formed from reading the forum (not direct experience) is that customer service is the weak link at Zebralight. It's frustrating that repairs must wait on the slow boat from China; this should be handled in and out of Texas, at least for the north american market. It looks like there is but a single overworked person in TX handling all customer service (at least, for the Americas).

However, as the owner of 8 zebralights purchased over several years (2 H50, 4 H501w, 2 H60w) and the 9th on the way (a used red H501r) I have not had need of any repairs yet, despite doing some dumb and harmful things to my Zebralights.

I can empathize with the OP's annoyance.

This is why is usually always try to buy from a reseller as opposed to direct from Zebralight. If something does not work, you send it back to the reseller and they send you a new one. They deal with the manufacturer about issues. That is one of the many reasons a reseller exists.

I must confess to something. An email was sent to me yesterday that I missed. They will ship flashlight this week. woo hoo. That really dose'nt change the above post much though.

Flashaholic*

I only had one experience with their customer service - I had ordered an H60 in 2008, and in late 2010 emailed them (because the switch was acting up, sometimes skipping states) asking if they could repair it even though it was out of warranty.

I'm not sure what the exact turnaround time was after I returned my defective unit, but I do remember being happy they fixed it for free after the warranty period was over and thinking it was a quick turnaround. Lillian was also the customer service rep on my case #.

Returned my SC600 for service to fix the defective switch issue about a month ago. Haven't received the light back yet, but I'm not worried. I'm assuming JetBeam service is the standard here... so if it takes longer than 3 months, then there is a problem.

One important point about ZebraLight. George started it as a hobby or side business. He has decided to take it the next level and is investing a great deal of money in machinery, building and people to manufacture in Texas. I would hope that warranty / repair will move to the US too.

Business models should account for a certain percentage of units that will be returned. I understand that faulty lights need to be examined to figure out what caused the failure, but waiting a month or more is excessive. In my case, I received a new 501w. If it had shipped from TX instead of China, I would have had it back in under a week instead of 36 days.

G27

If I buy a brand new light from an American dealer and it is not perfect when I get it I expect to return it to the dealer and get a brand new one from that dealer.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

When I needed some screws for my SC-30 clip, they sent them out right away, and at no cost!

That was very nice.

Sorry that the OP issues.

Best,

RL
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Had a common problem once with a headlight. They were helpful and quick. Had a new one within 2 weeks. Milage may vary, but I've not heard much griping about their customer service - in fact they regularly respond and resolve ppl's concerns or problems here at the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock27 View Post
    One important point about ZebraLight. George started it as a hobby or side business. He has decided to take it the next level and is investing a great deal of money in machinery, building and people to manufacture in Texas. I would hope that warranty / repair will move to the US too.

Business models should account for a certain percentage of units that will be returned. I understand that faulty lights need to be examined to figure out what caused the failure, but waiting a month or more is excessive. In my case, I received a new 501w. If it had shipped from TX instead of China, I would have had it back in under a week instead of 36 days.

G27
    Do you have any proof of that? The business address is Tx, but the mailing address says China. I keep reading "Made in USA" regarding ZL's, but the 2 I have clearly were NOT.
    Fenix P2D * Surefire 6PL * Surefire E2L * Surefire E2/KL4 * Surefire E1L * Streamlight Nano * Streamlight Scorpion * Maglight 3D * MiniMag LED * Lumapower Connexion * Proton Photon * Maratac AAA * Nitecore NDI

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Mdinana View Post
    Do you have any proof of that? The business address is Tx, but the mailing address says China. I keep reading "Made in USA" regarding ZL's, but the 2 I have clearly were NOT.
    The company is meant to be based in texas, but the actually lights are made in china at the moment. They have future plans to make some models in the USA.
    A blog on small pocket tools, keychain gadgets and more!
    http://keychainpockets.blogspot.com/

I recently placed an order for an SC600, but got one with a nasty green tint. I tried emailing customer service the other day, but as of yet I have not received any reply.

This is the first time I've actually had to contact customer service though. Hopefully they will come through.

I can't speak for the OP, but for me the biggest problem was lack of communication. When I initially contacted them, I just wanted to know how long the warranty process took. I specifically asked if my light would have to go through China. They addressed none of my concerns and just gave me the standard RMA instructions.

I liked the SC600 so much that I knew I was going to buy the neutral and was seriously thinking of waiting until the neutral version came out before I sent my original in for repair. I just wanted to know what was the normal warranty procedure to make a decision.

Instead, I feel like I mailed a hundred dollar light into a black hole and was left scratching my head for about four weeks. A little communication would have made me a lot more patient.

I had decent service on the RMA of my H501w, but that was a basic 'It's broken send it back we'll fix it' sort of deal. I did and it came back in just over 7 weeks, they weren't very responsive to any specific questions beyond the basics and ignored a request from me to clean the dome of the emitter while it was apart as it has a glue mark or something on it.

When I had to return my SC51w I had similar experience, slow replies often ignoring parts of my previous messages, and when it never got there they still only contacted me when I contacted them. Despite me asking them to let me know if they had received it after a week and then two weeks. Now, months later, I just gave up and claimed the value from the Post Office, they still have not given me any notification of it arriving or not to this day though, despite me asking after it recently just in case. I am not too bothered as I got my money back, but if the Royal Mail didn't offer insurance up to £41 on any package then I would still be out a light and zebralight have done nothing to help that.

This is in stark contrast to my experience with Nitecore who have always taken an interest in my issues giving informed responses to my individual questions, they have been friendly and kept me informed. Going well beyond what is stated on the warranty also, I had a D10 repaired just within warranty time but after I broke it myself modding it, later I asked to have the driver upgraded to the D11.2 one and they agreed. When I told them it had a few switching issues with the new driver they contacted my local dealer and I got a brand new D11.2 for free the next day!

It took a while to actually find who to contact but is still the best CS experience I have had to date from any electronics company.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by fnsooner View Post
    I can't speak for the OP, but for me the biggest problem was lack of communication. ... A little communication would have made me a lot more patient.
    fsooner

thanks for putting the thread back on track earlier. Yes, I was trying elicit responses re CS, not QC [I accept bad apples at a limited ratio.]

I agree that communication is THE ISSUE.

John

Flashaholic*

My only experience and need to contact Zebralight was today when I had a questions about getting out of the 2nd sub-level of high. I contacted them through their website and Lillian emailed back with the answer within an hour or so.

I'm sure returns involving China are another matter

Wow that's brutal. I guess it might be worth the extra cash to buy it through a reseller instead of directly from zebralight

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by AaronG View Post
    Wow that's brutal. I guess it might be worth the extra cash to buy it through a reseller instead of directly from zebralight
    I bought through Going Gear for that reason but if you use the CPF discount code it's not more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by gcbryan View Post
    I bought through Going Gear for that reason but if you use the CPF discount code it's not more expensive.
    It is a little more expensive for me since GG charges an additional $15 or thereabouts for shipping to me. But, if communication issues like what some had experienced with ZL could be avoided by going through GG, then I think it will be worth the extra to pay for. Unfortunately, I bought mine from ZL and is still awaiting the arrival of the lights.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Unhappy Zebra Light customer Service??

Cracked the lens on my new SC80 220Lm AA/CR123A Flashlight. Tried reaching somebody and all I got was an email which I contacted and a response which instructed me to return the light. Um.... three weeks later and nothing.... so I sent a follow-up email with no results now two weeks later???? Does anyone have a contact number or any advice???
    Surefire 9N, Surefire Dominator 10x, Surefire 6P, Surefire M3 Weapons Light, Surefire C3 w/Malkoff M60, Surefire Minimus, Novatak 120T, 3 D cell mag light w/Malkoff U2 bin Seoul Semiconductor P4 LED Drop-in module, and Ra Clicky Tactical 170, Zebralight H31 220 lumens

Default Re: Zebra Light customer Service??

There is a contact page at: http://www.zebralight.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

Address:
    8320 Sterling Street
    Irving, TX. 75063
    USA

You might be able to get a lens at flashlightlens.com

Quote Originally Posted by HotWire View Post
    There is a contact page at: http://www.zebralight.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

Address:
    8320 Sterling Street
    Irving, TX. 75063
    USA

You might be able to get a lens at flashlightlens.com
    Yes but no tel number. I sent the light back 5 weeks ago and to email response to my follow up.
    Surefire 9N, Surefire Dominator 10x, Surefire 6P, Surefire M3 Weapons Light, Surefire C3 w/Malkoff M60, Surefire Minimus, Novatak 120T, 3 D cell mag light w/Malkoff U2 bin Seoul Semiconductor P4 LED Drop-in module, and Ra Clicky Tactical 170, Zebralight H31 220 lumens

Quote Originally Posted by Robertesq1 View Post
    Yes but no tel number. I sent the light back 5 weeks ago and to email response to my follow up.
    There is a phone number for them listed in the phone book: (972) 929-7213. I've never called it and don't know if anyone actually answers. I'd try emailing customer service again, and again the next day if you don't get a response. Try contacting them via the 'Contact Us' page as well as 'My Account'. In my experience, with a little prodding they will respond and will do mostly what you need, though sometimes it takes awhile.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast