ZebraLight Cust Serv/Quality

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
I have long been a Zebralight fan [I used and wrote the first review of the H50 in 2007, http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?178839-FieldTest-on-Zebralight-Q5]. My first Zebralights have been heavily used and very reliable in use all over the world!!

But recently I have had a bad experience and am wondering if this is an anomaly or a more widely shared experience.

On April 16, 2011 I ordered two lights [SC51 and HC51F]
4/26/11 Rec'd two lights, SC51 defective, would not remain on for more than a few seconds
4/27 — 5/16 Exchanged emails with Lilian at Zebralight, attempting to make it work; implication in each email was that I did not know what I was doing/saying; substantial delays in her replies to my emails
5/17/11 After authorization by Lilian, returned defective SC51 to Zebralight, TX
5/29/11 email from Lilian: "Will ship this week"
6/21/11 — no light, no email; sent email inquiry, got no reply
Late June finally rec'd a new light shipped from China.

The attitude [brusque, uninformative and skeptical of my data] and promptness [2 1/2 months from order to receipt of working light] of responses really put me off. If I had not already owned (3) H50 lights that I had put thru such extensive service, I would certainly have bailed on the brand.

Is my experience shared by others? Or is this just bad luck?

John

Last edited:

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I actually dealt with their customer service a couple months back. I lost the tailcap for my sc51 and needed a replacement. They answered all of my emails within 24 hours and shipped out my tailcaps from china which did take 3 weeks to get to the states. Overall all i was very pleased with their customer service.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that you're incredibly lucky seeing as though you've owned three H50s for 2+ years and haven't had any problems with them. I owned two (was an early adopter as well) and they each only worked properly for maybe 2-3 weeks apiece before exhibiting questionable behavior.

Deal4

Enlightened
Man, that's too bad about your lights. I guess all light brands will have problems once in a while.
I've had my SC51 for awhile now, and I've never had it even flicker on me. I would say it has to be the most reliable of all my lights.

atbglenn

Newly Enlightened
The anodizing is slightly blotchy in a couple of spots on my H501. Other than that, I've had no problems in the few months of fairly heavy use.. Overall I'm pleased with the quality.

Glock27

Enlightened
I have a pair of H50s. I have used 1 for ~3 years with zero problems.
The only problem I've had with any of my ZebraLights has been a cracked lens on an H501w. The light was still working and the crack probably wouldn't have been noticed with a "normal" user.
I think their designs are very innovative and sometimes "new" designs/parts have unexpected bugs.
H50 *2
H501w * 2
H501r
H60
SC60w * 3
I've had an additional H60, H50 and several H501s pass through my hands on the way to friends with no problems from them either. Unless Lillian is on vacation, queries submitted through their website have always been promptly answered.

G27

fnsooner

Enlightened
This thread wasn't started to discuss QC issues about Zebralight and their products. It was started to ask if anyone else had problems with Customer Service when they had a problem with one of their lights. All companies have an occasional bad light out of the box, what said company does when a product is returned for warranty is a different issue. I have returned two non-Zebralight lights that have had issues and 4Sevens and LightJunction solved the issues better than expected.

I have also contacted Zebralight before and have always had a quick response. This leads me to believe that they ignore when they want.

I wasn't going to post on this subject until I recieved my repaired or replaced SC600. Since photonhoer asked, I'll chime in.

Here is a quick check list concerning my ongoing warranty claim.

• Dissapointing and ambiguous response when initially contacting ZL about problem. Check
  • No contact from ZL to let me know that they recieved light and what is up. Check- The only way I knew that they recieved my light is that I purchased Delivery Confirmation through USPS.
  • When I do try and contact them after three weeks, they have completely ignored me. Check
  • It has now been four weeks and I have heard nothing from ZL whatsoever. Check
I will give a more detailed review when my light arrives. I have seen several posts with similar stories that, oddly enough, I feel confident my warranty claim will be fulfilled.

Also, sorry if my post sounds sour. I am a bit annoyed about the process.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion, formed from reading the forum (not direct experience) is that customer service is the weak link at Zebralight. It's frustrating that repairs must wait on the slow boat from China; this should be handled in and out of Texas, at least for the north american market. It looks like there is but a single overworked person in TX handling all customer service (at least, for the Americas).

However, as the owner of 8 zebralights purchased over several years (2 H50, 4 H501w, 2 H60w) and the 9th on the way (a used red H501r) I have not had need of any repairs yet, despite doing some dumb and harmful things to my Zebralights.

I can empathize with the OP's annoyance.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why is usually always try to buy from a reseller as opposed to direct from Zebralight. If something does not work, you send it back to the reseller and they send you a new one. They deal with the manufacturer about issues. That is one of the many reasons a reseller exists.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I must confess to something. An email was sent to me yesterday that I missed. They will ship flashlight this week. woo hoo. That really dose'nt change the above post much though.

Greymage

Enlightened
I only had one experience with their customer service - I had ordered an H60 in 2008, and in late 2010 emailed them (because the switch was acting up, sometimes skipping states) asking if they could repair it even though it was out of warranty.

I'm not sure what the exact turnaround time was after I returned my defective unit, but I do remember being happy they fixed it for free after the warranty period was over and thinking it was a quick turnaround. Lillian was also the customer service rep on my case #.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Returned my SC600 for service to fix the defective switch issue about a month ago. Haven't received the light back yet, but I'm not worried. I'm assuming JetBeam service is the standard here... so if it takes longer than 3 months, then there is a problem.

Glock27

Enlightened
One important point about ZebraLight. George started it as a hobby or side business. He has decided to take it the next level and is investing a great deal of money in machinery, building and people to manufacture in Texas. I would hope that warranty / repair will move to the US too.

Business models should account for a certain percentage of units that will be returned. I understand that faulty lights need to be examined to figure out what caused the failure, but waiting a month or more is excessive. In my case, I received a new 501w. If it had shipped from TX instead of China, I would have had it back in under a week instead of 36 days.

G27

recDNA

Flashaholic
If I buy a brand new light from an American dealer and it is not perfect when I get it I expect to return it to the dealer and get a brand new one from that dealer.

Vesper

Enlightened
Had a common problem once with a headlight. They were helpful and quick. Had a new one within 2 weeks. Milage may vary, but I've not heard much griping about their customer service - in fact they regularly respond and resolve ppl's concerns or problems here at the forums.

Mdinana

Enlightened
One important point about ZebraLight. George started it as a hobby or side business. He has decided to take it the next level and is investing a great deal of money in machinery, building and people to manufacture in Texas. I would hope that warranty / repair will move to the US too.

Business models should account for a certain percentage of units that will be returned. I understand that faulty lights need to be examined to figure out what caused the failure, but waiting a month or more is excessive. In my case, I received a new 501w. If it had shipped from TX instead of China, I would have had it back in under a week instead of 36 days.

G27
Do you have any proof of that? The business address is Tx, but the mailing address says China. I keep reading "Made in USA" regarding ZL's, but the 2 I have clearly were NOT.

hazna

Enlightened
Do you have any proof of that? The business address is Tx, but the mailing address says China. I keep reading "Made in USA" regarding ZL's, but the 2 I have clearly were NOT.

The company is meant to be based in texas, but the actually lights are made in china at the moment. They have future plans to make some models in the USA.

gooseman

Newly Enlightened
I recently placed an order for an SC600, but got one with a nasty green tint. I tried emailing customer service the other day, but as of yet I have not received any reply.

This is the first time I've actually had to contact customer service though. Hopefully they will come through.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I can't speak for the OP, but for me the biggest problem was lack of communication. When I initially contacted them, I just wanted to know how long the warranty process took. I specifically asked if my light would have to go through China. They addressed none of my concerns and just gave me the standard RMA instructions.

I liked the SC600 so much that I knew I was going to buy the neutral and was seriously thinking of waiting until the neutral version came out before I sent my original in for repair. I just wanted to know what was the normal warranty procedure to make a decision.

Instead, I feel like I mailed a hundred dollar light into a black hole and was left scratching my head for about four weeks. A little communication would have made me a lot more patient.