Things I learned camping.... posting from the tent

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I've spent many years camping but this last trip which I am currently still on is my first as a flashoholic. Previously I'd bring a mini mag and a 3D led mag, the did the job.

This past trip I used an old pistol case and threw of my favorite lights together. Some malkoff's in different hosts, a few Fenix lights, a quark mini AA.

The work horse of my camping trip in a relatively busy park was my Malkoff M60 in a 18650 bored host (solarforce). It was the perfect light for everything accept reading when I went to my Elzetta host with a Malkoff M61wll with a hi/low switch.

My Fenix Tk 41 is awesome but much to bright and invasive to other campers. My TA21 just didn't have the beam profile and the quark mini's UI just wasn't as user friendly as my single mode host with a twisty switch.

After this trip I realized the Malkoff M60 rules all for an outdoor light. Perfect flood, perfect throw and great color. This light rocks!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, M60 is VERY nice outdoors. I find the beam profile of my TK11 and JetBeam-IIIM pretty nice as well.

Headlamp.... so nice for camping; I think it's a necessity.

You need a red light so that you can do some activities without attracting every bug and insect nearby. Red Headlamp.... even better.

Zebralight SC60w... very nice when the Malkoff is just not right or is in use by someone else, or you need a backup.

TK35.... just beautify to light the place up, or take a look down the path.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix Tk 41 is awesome but much to bright and invasive to other campers.

I can imagine people in campsites nearby not appreciating your TK41. ;>

But the TK41 output can be throttled down, can't it?

I've been considering picking up a TK41 because it is fairly compact and runs on AAs, but mainly because of its 40,000+ Cd hotspot!

Big throw appeals to me for certain situations outdoors: routefinding across rough terrain, looking out across a body of water, spotting things in an open field, etc.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
For camping and hiking, I prefer a headlamp, either my Spark ST5-190NW with the frosted lens or my Zebralight H51w with DC-fix on the lens. I use the headlamp on a low setting for general task work and short distance lighting. I also carry a brighter, throwy light for seeing things farther away. Typically for me it's my Jet-III Pro ST or my Quark 123^2 on an 18650 body. I sometimes use an AA^2 body with the Quark instead, depending on the length of my trip. For short duration outings of a day or two, 18650 based lights work fine. If I'm going to be out longer than that, meaning I will end up going through an 18650 before the trip is over, I use AA based lights.