Emergency Light Question

Coronach

Newly Enlightened
I did a search, and I'm aware of the plethora of low-end lights that fill this niche, but I'm looking for a good-quality plug-in emergency light. I want something that can be plugged in to a wall outlet and forgotten about for a year, and when the power goes out (or the light is unplugged) it turns on. I've had some of the cheap ones before, and usually the batteries fail because the charging system is crap, so when you need it, it doesn't work. I know that there are many options for "real" flashlights that can be left in the charger (Streamlight and Mag-Light are two brands that I'm familiar with from work), but most (all?) of them cannot be left on in the cradle with the intention to have them turn on when the power fails.

I'm amenable to spending the money to get a high-quality cradle-charging flashlight if it can be used as a power-failure emergency light. Failing that, however, I'm looking for something that is reasonably inexpensive (sub $50) but that I know will actually work reliably that can provide emergency light so that my family can get the generator running, or at least get to the "real" flashlights. And, since this is a residential application, I don't want a big commercial-grade light box.

One item that I found digging around on the net, but that does not seem to be reviewed here, is the Lite-Saver from Battery1Inc. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HY6FDW/?tag=cpf0b6-20 I'm not so keen on the nightlight (hopefully you can shut it off without shutting of the emergency light function), but other than that it looks decent.

Does anyone have any experience with this light, or another like it?

Thanks,

Mike

Napalm

Enlightened
Crappy nightlights are more of a fire hazard than an useful help.

I'd rather get one of those 2xAA flashlights with moonlight mode that runs for some 30 days, feed it with eneloops and leave it on permanently.

Nap.

tomp

Newly Enlightened
My streamlight stinger has been in it's charger for 8 years! I only had to replace battery once after 5 years. It's worked flawlessly except when the battery died at about that 5 year mark.

Coronach

Newly Enlightened
Yes, but can you leave it ON in the charger, and have it sit there not lit until the power goes out, then it will light up automatically?

I understand that quality lights can be left on charge indefinately. That's not what I'm asking about. I'm also not asking about or interested in a light that is on 24/7, especially not one I have to tend with batteries every month.

Mike

Last edited:

ragweed

Enlightened
I have used Black & Decker in the past. It lasted about 2 years then quit. I now use a single CR123 with a 10 year shelf life on the battery.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
If you want a flashlight style light with power failure lighting Streamlight makes the SL-20XP with LED power failure lighting mode but if you want a serious power failure light for poweroutages and lighting the genny till its running get a Streamlight E-spot or E-Flood powerfailure model. I have both but only the E-flood has the powerfailure feature, If you're only going to get one model I would get the E-Spot it will light an entire room easily and can be used as a spotlight/searchlight with 10-18 hous of runtime on high/low it's great bang for the buck for a quality light

Last edited:

Coronach

Newly Enlightened
PERFECT!

I didn't know that the Streamlight had the capability to do a power-failure mode. That's a great option.

I'll probably still pick up a couple of the Lite-Savers for use in rooms where having a Streamlight stuck on the wall would look odd, but in the bedroom I'll probably put the SL-20XP on the wall behind my wife's free-standing mirror. I'll probably also get a Litebox for the garage, as those things are quite useful as well (work light and emergency light).

Thanks!

Mike