Blackout/Tigerlight/ I spoil that woman

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had another blackout yhesterday, strong storms in the bay areaa. My wife is director of sales for a local hotel. The hotel was the location for a 60-or-so person party last night, and of course the electiricity wen tout.

When my wife left, I handed her my UKE 2L. She wrinkled her nose at it disapprovingly. "I want something bright". Now, the 2L is brighter than your run-of-the-mill 2D light, and that's what most normal people consider bright. Most normal people would consider my E2 very bright, but as I reached for it, I realized that wouldn't quite do it either. As much as she makes fun of my flashlight hobby, she's been spoiled by the SureFire M4. I knew that's what she meant by "bright". So, I slipped my new ultra-clear-glass lens into my 8" Tigerlight and handed it to her. She also had her PT Rage and a Photon II on her.

When she gets to the hotel, it's obviously pitch black. Everywhere she goes, from the front desk on into the hotel, people are going "Wow, that's bright!" when she shines the Tigerlight (although the exclamatory is often more colorful). When she gets to the banquet room, all the guests are roaming around with lightsticks -- the general manager had bought a case of them for just such a situation. She walks in with the Tigerlight, people are actually stopping her and engaging in conversation over it. She makes her way over to the buffet table. The chef is behind it, using a weak light to sorta shine here and there, but really, people can't see what they're eating. So, she sets the Tigerlight on end pointing at the ceiling in the middle of the table. The entire table lights up, she says there was an audible "Ahhhh!" and murmur of approval. One guy who had initially stopped her to talk about the light announces, "Hey everyone, that's a Tiger flashlight!" She then went out and left her PT RAge with the front desk crew.She navigated the pitch-blade halls with just her photon the rest of the night.

When she gets home, what does she say? She complains, "Your Tiger went out." I had to pry the rest of the story out of her. Anyway, she has a request for Tigerlight Pro: she wants a light that's the same size and weight, same cost, and same brightness, but will go for 4 or 5 hours straight. You have her full confidence that you can solve this problem quickly.

Joe

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Joe Talmadge:
We had another blackout yhesterday......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Joe,

Great story, your wife is quite a flashlight connoisseur! Do you think any harm was done to your Tigerlight by that total discharge? I just got one, my first NiMh rechargeable and I'm not too familiar with their limitations.

Brightnorm

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the tiger light really ran the battery all the way down till it's dead, it's really harmful to the batteries. You're s'pose to off it when it starts getting yellow orange....

Albany Tom

Enlightened
It's not a great idea, but if the batteries are new, which they should be, they should also be pretty well matched, so I don't think you'll notice any harm. The damage is to the individual cells in a NiMH pack when some are reverse charged as the entire pack goes to 0. I've done it now and then with other lights with NiMH's, and haven't killed a cell yet.

SuRgE

Enlightened
I race Rc cars that cost $1000 at race setup. They us metal hydrids and I burn through a $80 3000 mah 6 sub c pack in under 5 minutes. We discharge with 20 watt lights then wait to cool before recharging. Been doing this about 10 times a week on the same packs for months, no problems.

You think flashlights are tough on batteries, try a street rc car that does 40+ mph! Anyone think the Tigerlight is too expensive, how about my $80 matched hydrid pack, and I have 10. Charger cost $300. I also run cheapie $25 packs and have no problem totally discharging them.

You have nothing to worry about!
grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom, your hobby has made a lasting impression on many people now. At least the hotel's GM wisely made some preparation. Your wife certainly appreciates good lights, even more now, and probably generated some sales for the Tigerlight.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
Tom, your hobby has made a lasting impression on many people now. At least the hotel's GM wisely made some preparation. Your wife certainly appreciates good lights, even more now, and probably generated some sales for the Tigerlight.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, the funny thing is, she doesn't appreciate good lights, she just takes it for granted that there's always a 300+ lumen light around. She still gives me as much flak as the other guys' wives do! Although since the last blackout, she's been carrying around the PT Rage in her purse. I have a feeling she's going to decide that's not bright enough either, and commandeer my E2. No problem ... mum's the word, but I took advantage of the latest price reduction and have an A2 on pre-order
smile.gif

BTW, I had absolutely no idea she would use that Tigerlight like a lamp. If I'd realized that, I would've given her my fluorescent lantern for that, and I would've told her to keep an eye on the Tigerlight and turn it off when it started to yellow. When she came home and handed it to me and it was obviously run way down, I was bummed! It's definitely back to full brightness after another charge, no idea if run time has suffered. I'd actually thought that the reason not to run the light yellow is because it would reduce the bulb life (not hot enough for halogen cycle) rather than possible damage to the batteries.

Joe

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, what rechargeable lights are out there that will last a whole night?

A 5w LS rechargeable with a high (750ma) and a low (300ma) setting would be nice...

Am I the only one that has seriously considered putting a 5w white SE into a Magcharger, UltraStinger, or Tigerlight??

Mark

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, I am seriously pondering on that too. In fact, I am seriously pondering on getting 3 of those and poping it into the 4D mag. Driving em at spec... 5 C cells... ultra brightness.... or under driving em, 300 each, still way brighter than anything else... Of cos that is once I get my hands on perfect white low forward voltage, high flux whites..... or maybe royal blues....
grin.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, thought you might be interested in the following conversation:

Her: "That Tiger ... you bought it for me."
Me: "No, I bought it for both of us to use, but mostly so you wouldn't use my M4"
Her: "Okay then, you bought it for me. What's it doing on your side of the bed?"
Me: "Because I'm going to use it too"
Her: <mischievous look>
Me: <suspicious>

This morning, I woke up and noted the Tigerlight was on her nightstand, which certainly wasn't where I left it. On her way to work, I noticed it was in her hands. I guess this resolves the problem of whose light it is
smile.gif

Me: "I forgot to tell you -- when the light starts to yellow or dim a little, turn it off. Don't run it until it's out."
Her: "I'm not stupid."
Me: <bites tongue>

Also BTW, it seems like 5W luxeons hold a lot of promise for all kinds of interesting variations. A bright light that'd last 6 hours or so, that'd be pretty useful.

Joe

rlhess

Enlightened
Joe,

I don't have to worry about a hotel banquet room, but I have several lights around the house.

I have an Energizer 4D 2-tube fluorescent, and two Kohler-Brightstar U-tube fluorescent lanterns. The Energizer's upstairs in the master bedroom. One K-Bs is in the home office, the other's in the kitchen.

I've suggested to my wife that these are the long-run power fail lights. I also have a UKE D8 that solves the same purpose.

None of these put out a bright beam, but they all put out broad light with lots of coverage.

The three fluorescents can put out almost a full circle of light horizontally. The Energizer folding fluroescent can also concentrate more of its light into a half circle. The Energizer also can switch one or both tubes. The K-Bs only has one power setting and it also has a useless red flasher (at least for this application), which I might replace by a white low-power lamp for just navigating.

The UKE D8 has TWO lamps for redundancy. You can only use one or the other. The D8 is about 225 lumens. I don't know the output of the fluorescents. I think they're less, but I'm not sure...they may not be much less.

The D8 is probably the shortes burn, and I'd suspect it might run 5 hours.

As I've said before, I much prefer primary cells for emergencies...but you need to keep a drawer full. I reorder when I have only 36 D cells and 48 C cells and 80 AA cells <smile>. I also keep at least 40 123 cells around.

Cheers,

Richard

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak: bwahahaha! Actually, I've reclaimed ownership of the Tigerlight ... for now <cue ominous music>. My strategy for the A2: don't let her ever see it. I think she'd turn her nose up at 60 lumens anyway
smile.gif

rlhess: You've got a smart system. After the last blackout, I'd decided I definitely needed a fluorescent lantern for room lighting and a headlamp for cooking and other two-handed tasks.

I went out and bought a Coleman fluorescent camping lantern when the light went out this time around. It runs on 8D cells or two of the big cells, 12 or 18 hours runtime depending on whether you're running both tubes or just one of 'em. I'm certain it's not anywhere near the most cost-effective solution, but I waited until a blackout, and it was the only thing I could find. Next time I run into some cheap Energerizer fluorescents like the ones you have, I'll pick some up.

I just ordered a PT Aurora for my headlamp.