Help finding a small, cheap flashlight?

DISHDASH

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm new to the forums and flashlight community, and i understand it might be a little annoying to just come on here and ask for help after doing very little research.

I need a decent small sized flashlight to take away for a few weeks on a Scout camp. Something that will fit in my pocked. If possible, i would rather have a button operated one than a twist cap one. I'm looking to spend around £25 on it.

Any idea would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-Matthew-

ericjohn

Enlightened
Mini Maglite 2AA. They are around $8 @ target or wal mart (in the States). Years ago they used to bundle a Swiss Army Knife with a Mini Maglite, for hunting camping scouting etc.

I don't know how much they cost where you are, but they are available pretty much world wide. Check your local sporting goods dealer or any department store for one. They cann't be that much.

Confederate

Enlightened
Look, quality flashlights are CHEAP! Spend the extra few bucks...er, Euros...on a quality flashlight. I just read an ad for a light that cost two hundred bucks and can be dropped on, or thrown at, cement. Very few people need lights like that and I'd rather spend the money on multiple flashlights like Fenix. That way, if I threw mine at some cement and it ceased to function, I'd have the extra flashlights stashed away. Heck, I've gone forty years without ever dropping a quality flashlight, gun or knife on cement.

Buy a Fenix or a Quark 123, or a Nitecore. If you just want some cheap but functional lights, check out DealExtreme out of China. Shipping is free and I carried one of their single cell 123A lights for weeks without any problems. Lots of light and you can use rechargeable batteries. You can get a nice little light for thirteen dollars or so. Some single mode lights even sport HA-III shells and take AA batteries.

ericjohn

Enlightened
sorry i didn't read at first that you needed one with a push button instead of a tailcap. i looked on the Energizer Europe website and found the Energizer X Focus. I don't know if that is a pushbutton switch or a twist head like the mini maglite.

There is also the Energizer Lithium 2AA LED, that has a pushbutton switch and I would imagine is very bright. AND There is an Energizer flashlight that takes 3AAA's and has 3 LEDs and one Xenon lamp. Both are push button switches.

check out the below link for more details.

http://www.energizer.eu/eu/ee/site/flashlight-personal.html

They are the last 2 at the bottom of the page in the link. Hope I have been a help.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce L2 with XM-L dropin should do you. If you're camping, you might want to go with the 5 mode dropin so you've got a low and medium setting.

Check out www.solarforce-sales.com

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Jetbeam BC10 for my wife and it seems nice for the money. This is our second light from Jetbeams BC/BA line of lights and both are great so far.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Xeno E03 might fit the bill. 10 cm long. uses 1 AA battery. button operated. $30 US at some HK shops.

also Jetbeam BA10, iTP SA1, and maybe the Klarus P1A all take 1 AA battery, are button operated, and should be in your price range.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a decent small sized flashlight to take away for a few weeks on a Scout camp. Something that will fit in my pocked. If possible, i would rather have a button operated one than a twist cap one. I'm looking to spend around £25 on it.

Because of the 25 Pound Sterling price limit, I'm guessing you're in the UK.

I know that Mags aren't a good buy in the UK - they tend to cost about twice what they cost in the US. Way too expensive for what are frankly, very basic lights.

Maybe some British members could help you out with suggestions of lights available to you in local stores in the UK. Used to be good lights available cheap at Tesco, but don't know if that's still true.

Check this site:
http://www.heinnie.com/Flashlights/c-1-97/

Huge variety of lights and quick delivery within the UK.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
It would help you a lot if you fill out your location with United Kingdom. It would reduce the suggestions of torches not available over there. Also it would alert other UK members to your requests. The £ in the middle of a post is not very noticeable.

Would you be importing the torch or would you prefer to buy locally? Here is a thread on buying options in the UK.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316218-Buying-options-in-the-UK

A few weeks means forgetting about lithium batteries. Primaries cost too much. Rechargeables may not be able to recharge at camp.
Fit in my pocket with lithiums out of the question means 1*AA or 1*AAA. 1*AA has ~2.5X the capacity of 1*AAA so 1*AAA is out. 2AA is too long though 2AAA (penlight) can fit in a shirt pocket.
£25 is low for a quality torch. The problem with the low end 1AA torches is lack of consistency. Get a good one you are happy, get a bad one you just wasted your money. I usually look at $50-$70 ~£40-£50. Maybe $10 less for a twist switch. The click switch ones are also 1/4" longer.

1*AA push button:
- Ultrafire C3. A bit bigger than the others. I only found the SS model on a quick google in the UK. Annoying part have to go through strobe and SOS when changing levels.
- Fenix LD10. £42.95.
- 4sevens Quark. Regular model tighten head starts at high, loosen head starts at moonlight. Tactical model you can program your levels for both the tight and loose head positions. $57.00.
- Zebralight SC51c. Front side switch. High CRI LED gives good colour rendition. $64.
- Zebralight H51c. Headlamp that doubles as anglehead flashlight. High CRI LED gives good colour rendition. $64
- NITECORE D11. Piston switch. £49.95.
- JETBEAM BA10. £38.95.

2*AAA pushbutton:
- FENIX LD05. £37.95.
- EAGLETAC PN20A2. £28.95.
- Preon 2. $45.00.

1*AA Twist:
- ITP A2. £22.95.
- Quark MiNi AA. $39.00
- NITECORE EZAA. £39.95
- FENIX LD15. £36.95

UK prices are from the 1st link in the thread above. Other prices are from 4sevens.com or Zebralight.com

-----

EDIT
The Solarforce L2 uses a 18650 lithium-ion battery. The 2AA model is L2R. The 3AAA model is L2i. Too big to pocket unless you wear cargo pants.

The Xeno E03 is $30 + $5 shipping. Get the neutral white version for outdoor use. The cool white is too blue, the warm white too yellow.

Last edited:

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Going to scout camp I agree with your thoughts of keeping the light on the less expensive side. My suggestion is to order a Romisen G2 II from shingingbeam.com and use the money you save to purchase some lithium primary batteries. Brian has very reasonable shipping rates to the U.K. as well. Enjoy your trip.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Look, quality flashlights are CHEAP! Spend the extra few bucks...er, Euros...on a quality flashlight. I just read an ad for a light that cost two hundred bucks and can be dropped on, or thrown at, cement. Very few people need lights like that and I'd rather spend the money on multiple flashlights like Fenix. That way, if I threw mine at some cement and it ceased to function, I'd have the extra flashlights stashed away. Heck, I've gone forty years without ever dropping a quality flashlight, gun or knife on cement.

Buy a Fenix or a Quark 123, or a Nitecore. If you just want some cheap but functional lights, check out DealExtreme out of China. Shipping is free and I carried one of their single cell 123A lights for weeks without any problems. Lots of light and you can use rechargeable batteries. You can get a nice little light for thirteen dollars or so. Some single mode lights even sport HA-III shells and take AA batteries.

Great advice. Don't get more than you need, at least at first.

Welcome to CPF, Matthew.

Geoff