Longest Throwing EDC?

dunna

Newly Enlightened
Hello every one I want to buy an EDC flashlight with longest throw.
What are your suggestions and advice?
Please help me find my dream light!

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC very broad term.
If you define EDC as single CR123 battery size, then maybe the best throwers are:
1) Surefires.
2) Jetbeam RRT-0 - which is sort of a Chinese imitation of a Surefire.
3) Nitecore IFE1 - Nitecore is Jetbeam's cousin; both owned by same parent company.
4) HDS 200 lumens.
5) 4Sevens Quark 123.
Surefires and Jetbeams have widest heads, at full inch; others use heads less than one inch.
HDS & Novatac also has full inch head, but less ANSI lumens..

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS. Try to find your compact light with a very small emitter size, esp an XR-E R2.
The small emitters effectively increase the relative size of your compact EDC reflector - so it will throw further...

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the 2-cell s.f.'s with TIR lenses, the l.e.d. lumamax or defender.

High throw to head diameter ratio.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
+1 for the DEFT EDC; you can't beat an aspheric lens for throw. Over two football fields of hotspot from a pocket light is pretty amazing.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the DEFT EDC; you can't beat an aspheric lens for throw. Over two football fields of hotspot from a pocket light is pretty amazing.

Do you have one? Maybe you could do a mini-review. I haven't seen (a review) yet.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the OP unless you are talking about a specialized light that you don't really plan to carry EDC any XR-E R2 drop-in and a P60 host will do the job. If it is to be specialized then add an aspheric lens and it will throw as far for its size as most any other light.

There is no magic to throw.

vudoo

Enlightened
If it is a true EDC you are after with lots of throw then I would recommend RRT-0. Very throwy with a nice beam with the light OP reflector and it can use lots of different battery types

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently, we have this problem where the more powerful emitters like the XM-L are too large in size at 2mmx2mm relative to a compact pocket size 1 inch head/reflector for Every Day Carry.
Thus we end up with a very floody beam, with diminished throw.

Some manufacturers like Omglumens overcome this by putting in an old tiny emitter like a Cree XP-C Q4, which is tiny relative to an EDC compact 1 inch head, so maximises throw, but because it is so tiny, it only puts out something like 100 lumens.

I wonder if we can put a big XM-L emitter with 750 whopping lumens etc, onto a compact every day carry 1 inch head/reflector - yes, lots of flood - too much in fact.
However, then use an aspherical lens to focus the light beam to give normal flood/throw ratios???

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of EDC I think it implies slim 17670/18650 type lights with 25mm or thinner bezels. Much like a 6P light or Surefire L4 type of light in terms of size.

For Throw 1m Lux readings are more important.

At this time there are 3 super throwers out there that are small EDC types:
  • Malkoff M30 w/1.8A and 300ish OTF lumens = 6.5K lux
  • Malkoff M60 with 235ish OTF lumens = 5.5~5.8K lux
  • Surefire L1 bezel on AW 17670 w/1.8A is 330ish OTF = 12K~13K lux
  • Nailbender XR-E R2 SMO P60 drop-in w/1.3A driver 290 OTF = 13k~14K lux
  • The Saabluster EDC (6P size hosts) is 240 emitter lumens = 40K lux:D
The most throw I have seen with a pretty beam and about the size of a Surefire 6P is the LumaPower D-Mini w/35mm bezel and SMO reflector. My mentioned above Nailbender P60 drop-in pill was used in it. I got 28.5K lux out of it in the D-Mini. Then I put the TurboForce 66mm bezel and got 78.5K lux which is well above most Aspheric Tiablo, Dereelight, and Maglight customs, but with a pretty beam via SMO reflector.

Here is a Picture of the Lumapower D-mini vs. the Solarforce L2. Look at the size difference, not much difference as you can see. You get nearly 50% more throw with the D-mini, yet the overall size in the hand and pocket actually feel more streamlined.
f5a9a18a.jpg

bigC

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently, we have this problem where the more powerful emitters like the XM-L are too large in size at 2mmx2mm relative to a compact pocket size 1 inch head/reflector for Every Day Carry.
Thus we end up with a very floody beam, with diminished throw.

Some manufacturers like Omglumens overcome this by putting in an old tiny emitter like a Cree XP-C Q4, which is tiny relative to an EDC compact 1 inch head, so maximises throw, but because it is so tiny, it only puts out something like 100 lumens.

I wonder if we can put a big XM-L emitter with 750 whopping lumens etc, onto a compact every day carry 1 inch head/reflector - yes, lots of flood - too much in fact.
However, then use an aspherical lens to focus the light beam to give normal flood/throw ratios???

You end up with a big image of the die in throw mode. It's still not as bright as an XRE for throw because the surface brightness of an XM-L is lower than the XRE.

I typically use my EDC for brief occasional use indoors. I'm running a modded Sipik SK58 with a 2.8 amp driver and XM-L. Someone else with a similar setup measured a similar light at 14k lux (in spot mode) and the battery life is only 12 minutes on max (my guess is probably around 700 lumens out the front in flood mode). In contrast, a cheap budget EDC zooming flashlight, the EDI-T T11 with an XRE produces 19k lux at less than 200 lumens for around half an hour.

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
LED Lensers are focusable flashlights with a throwie reputation, however they have some issues (lack of regulation, unrealistic pricing etc.).

Cheers,

Tam

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
You end up with a big image of the die in throw mode. It's still not as bright as an XRE for throw because the surface brightness of an XM-L is lower than the XRE.

I typically use my EDC for brief occasional use indoors. I'm running a modded Sipik SK58 with a 2.8 amp driver and XM-L. Someone else with a similar setup measured a similar light at 14k lux and the battery life is only 12 minutes on max (my guess is probably around 700 lumens out the front). In contrast, a cheap budget EDC zooming flashlight, the EDI-T T11 with an XRE produces 19k lux at less than 200 lumens for around half an hour.

14K lux well maybe, no way 700 OTF. From my testing of XM-L 6T in big 3D Mag builds with copper heatsinks and 2.8A driver 650~750 OTF is about where they fall depending on vF. Small lights typically fall in 650 range with the 2.8A driver.

Now since the XM-L has an aspheric that puts it at 40~50% less OTF lumens (but lux goes up). So, probably 300 OTF on a fresh charge if its lucky.

bigC