fan cooled xm-l searchlight with extras.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
few years ago i bought a 5mcp rechagable light, what i liked about it is that it had 120v plug built in for charging. after abougt 3 cycles i threw it in a closet and never used since, for the simple reason, runtime was like 5-7 min in real world. it had 4ah sla battery and 55w 6v h3 bulb.

also 2 or so years back i experemented with a 5w stanley light (there is a thread about it here somewhere), so during my experements, it died, but i had left a reflector\led \heatsink assembly.

few weeks ago i came across the 5mcp light and thought, why not mod it, with a xm-l, i tried to use stock reflector, nothing good came out, not only it didn't focus the led, in any position , but reflective surfice of the reflector looked more like foil, than a mirror, so i thought why not use reflector from stanley light, it is 62mm in diameter, and deep, original xr-e in it throws very well, but no matte how i tried i couldn't swap xm-l in there the same way xr-e was installed, so i had to impovise with parts of computer heatsink, and dremmel tool\arctic silve glue. it woked out geat, but there was a problem in 10 min the whole assembly got too hot to touch, so i had to cool it somehow, after looking at few ways, i desided to go with forced cooling using 2 fans from computer, small ones, 1,3''x1,3'' iirc.

there was enough space in the body to fit the fans, there was also planty of space around in the head, xm-l assembly was 65mm the head was 150mm, so i had to fill it with something, so i desided to go familiar route, use color leds.

this is what i desided to do.
xm-l as a thrower, 18 neutral white 5050 leds as a flood lights, 16 green 5050 leds, 28 smalled red smd leds, and 2 5mm warm white leds as a long run\low output light.
and 385mn 9x5mm uv leds
also in the handle where originaly 3x5mm leds were i put in 10mw green laser.

all smd leds are assemblys off the shelf stuff, either to replace bipin bulbs, or automotive bulbs.

xm-l uses DW one mode driver,

power comes from 9x18650 cells 3s3p with pcb from battery space.
fans are controlled by 45C termostat, that is located on the same aluminium plate xm-l is glued on.

there is a master off switch behind rear cover, along with charging jack, i removed ac adapter, but had to cut of the plug and glue it back in, since it holds the rear cover closed.

this is what i came up with.
fans turn on after 5min (after turning xm-l on), and shut off after 40-45 sec after turing the led off. i can run xm-l untill battery shut off on low v, but led will be cool, i opened the head after 1 hour of running xm-l and it was cool to touch.
one fan pulls air inside, other pulls it out.

will post beamshots when i make them outdoors, doing it in the appt, wont show much.

P1060682.jpg

P1060667.jpg

P1060659.jpg

P1060661.jpg

P1060686.jpg

P1060688.jpg

P1060695.jpg

P1060698.jpg

P1060697.jpg

P1060696hhhhhh.jpg

P1060704.jpg

P1060707.jpg