HDS EDC 120 / high CRI modification

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
I looked everywhere for the HDS High CRI light but no one had one in stock for weeks. I haven't managed to catch one in the marketplace either, so I went ahead and purchased the standard HDS EDC Executive. I will use the light as is for a while, but I have a growing obsession with neutral and warm lights. This isn't so much a question of who can mod a light for me [hence the LED flashlight forum and not the modding section], but should I decide to have a high CRI led put in..which one is the best option? I remember reading the McGizmo sundrop has the best LED for color rendering. Which one has the best color rendering, and which one will be the best option to for this light given the electronics and whatnot? Thoughts?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Well the Legacy style HDS Clickies had hi cri SSC P4 emitters in them, and people were really happy with them so if you can source one of those it'd probably work well, especially since Henry has already shown they are well suited to the task.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G high CRI has a very nice warm hue to it and it runs brighter or more efficiently than the SSC. I like SSC but I love XP-G! Haven't tried the Sundrop though.

Pöbel

Enlightened
The XP-G high cri is VERY warm, to avoid saying yellow. Yes, colors pop up really well, but tint is still very yellow.

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
I would like more of a neutral tint. Something similar to my Maglite 3D, but a slightly cooler. I have a 4Sevens Mini AA Warm tint and it's a little darker than my Maglite 3D, and has an orange hue to it.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G high CRI has a very nice warm hue to it and it runs brighter or more efficiently than the SSC. I like SSC but I love XP-G! Haven't tried the Sundrop though.

+1 to that.

one think about the P4 high CRI in the clicky relfector... the beam is gorgeous! best beam ive ever seen.
ive never seen a clicky with XP-G so i cannot comment on that.

but i have modded a few lights with the high CRI XP-G, and its a lovely warm tint. i have 3 other lights waiting to be modded with them.