UK members: what happened to the guy in the cage?

K-T

*Moderator*
I have that faded memory that there was that strange artist who wanted to live for 44 days in a glass cage hung up high in the sky in central London without food.
What happened to him? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's still there and being abused by bystanders (catapulting paint balls at his plexiglass cage). There was a follow-up last night on FoxNews here in the U.S.

They said that he was halfway finished with the stunt.

Marty

kev1-1

Enlightened
Yep, he is still there. The box is pretty small and he is only about 12ft off the ground. Nutty guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's trying to spend 44 days with no food in there. Im on my way there now, to hurl fish and chips at his plexiglass box.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
He's nutso with a capital "N".
No food, no toliet (I think he has a bag or a jar to go in), no shower (pee-you!!!), no nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
I speculate that he came up with this after his "Sealed For A Long Time In A Block of Ice" trick was plausibly explained on one of those "Magic Secrets Revealed" shows.

Hanging in a suspended glass cage in front of God, the media and everybody is a feat that can not easily be explained away as just some clever illusion.

Greta

Flashaholic
Actually... I believe I read that he was doing this to bring awareness to himself of what his ancestors went through during the holocaust... they didn't survive.

And as far as calling him nutso or insane... I don't think so. He's just sitting in a box. Doing nothing. Not talking to anyone, not doing anything. Nothing really stupid about that when you think about it. But how stupid and insane and nutso is it to try to cut his water supply, throw burgers at him, hit his box with paint balls and any other manner of taunting and childishness? Perhaps that is the real "stunt"? To see just how really, really stupid people can be... and I'm not referring to him... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
But you have to ask yourself, would he have done it anyway if he wasnt getting paid a fat fee by TV studios?

kev1-1

Enlightened
MichiganMan...how was the ice block trick explained? I have heard that elsewhere, but never heard the actual eplanation. I would be interested to know...

Greta

Flashaholic
kakster... I wasn't aware he was getting paid by anyone. Where did you hear that?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard what his personal income from the stunt will be, but there is a station or network or someone paying for all the cleanup and security bills generated by having to guard his power cables and cleanup the trash people are throwing at him.

I don't get it myself. I can't even spare the energy to worry about him or pity him or whatever is his goal, but whatever. He may be nuts, but at least he's not hurting anybody else. Except the next fool who locks himself in a box without the proper support infrastructure...

UK Owl

Enlightened
The guy is a top illusionist.

Do you honestly believe this is anything other than a clever deception.

But if it is real you can bet he will earn a few hundred thousand dollars for this though.

I say let those who are causing the trouble carry on, and leave the police to get on with their jobs. They have enough to cope with without babysitting a publicity stunt.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kev1-1 said:
MichiganMan...how was the ice block trick explained? I have heard that elsewhere, but never heard the actual eplanation. I would be interested to know...

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a secret compartment under the platform holding the "ice tomb"

Every 4-5 hours assistants would steam the front of the ice (to supposedly keep it clear and easy to see through), while this process was underway the steam would make it impossible to see through the ice and David would swap places with a double who had been hiding in the secret compartment from the start.

While out of sight he was able to eat, drink and get some sleep.

kev1-1

Enlightened
Thanks X-ray...very clever!! Maybe when enough cheese burgers have been thrown to obscure the glass he will switch over?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif