14500 and 10440 pocket rockets

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The AAA size lith-ion is 10440 right? For the AA I'm probably going to get the xeno E03, but what are there for AAA lights that will put out over 200 lumens? Some useful throw would be nice but I'm not expecting it.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
iTP A3 on 10440 is known for being a tiny keychain rocket. Around 200 lumens on high, but gets hot very fast, you have to be careful.

So is the LD01 actually, I see you have that already. That has a little more thermal mass too. The XR-E version should give decent throw.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Peak Eiger on 10440 has reported output of 225 lumen OTF.

The Peak El Capitan will run a 14500, or you can now get a Logan 17500 for more run-time (the Logan will also still run AA-sized cells with the upcoming battery adapter kit).

BTW, without a larger "turbo-head" or aspheric optic, it is tough to get much throw out of a tiny light.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
+1 on the Preon I, but it gets hot pretty quick...but the output on a 10440 will blow you away.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an LD01 and my buddy has the ITP. The LD01 on max is a big brighter just judging seat of the pants but I'd say the ITP throws a bit further.

Honestly, the LD01 on a 10440 on medium is pretty dang bright. The max is just for showing off. It gets hot, it has no runtime and is too bright for most practical uses. In my opinion, anyway. Just last night, I was at the father in law's cabin (in a VERY rural area... zero ambient light) and went out to clean up some things in the driveway and on medium, it basically lit up the entire driveway which is about 80 feet long plus a ~150 foot long circle/turn around area.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
iTP A3 on 10440 is known for being a tiny keychain rocket. Around 200 lumens on high, but gets hot very fast, you have to be careful.

So is the LD01 actually, I see you have that already. That has a little more thermal mass too. The XR-E version should give decent throw.
To bad I got the XP-G

They pretty much all put out over 200 lumens on a 10440 cell. My four sevens Preon puts out over 300.
The more the better!

Now I'm guna go stick a 10440 in all my AAA lights! but I was sorta looking for a light ment to run on a 10440 I don't feel like frying my AAA lights and voiding the warranty all in 1. I'm not expecting much throw but if one light has a smaller emitter or a longer deeper reflector I might like it more over pure flood.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is that for such high power in a small package there is a lot of heat generated. If left on for too long it will damage the led, so hardly any manufacturers actually warranty their lights for 10440 use as if handled incorrectly they could be damaged by it. The ones that do warranty them, that are 'designed to take 10440's' have the output cut down dramatically to stop the possibility of the light overheating even if used irresponsibly.

However, most lights of AAA format can take 10440's for ultra high output, you just have to be careful with how you use them. I would recommend picking up an iTP A3 3 mode as they aren't very expensive, and then just using it on 10440. If you break it but liked it enough, then just get another and be a bit more careful next time.

The illuminati would be slightly brighter as the XP-G has a lower vf and better efficiency, but would also create more hear in a titanium body which is worse for dissipating it and so be even more likely to get damaged. I think your LD01 should be about the best you can use with 10440 anyway for output, utility and heat dissipation etc.

join95278

Newly Enlightened
I think your LD01 should be about the best you can use with 10440 anyway for output, utility and heat dissipation etc.

brembo

Enlightened
I have two lights if similar size and output(AA sized). One is an XPG and the other is an XML, both trend towards the neutral area of the spectrum. I knew when buying the XML light it was going to be floody as heck because of the XML emitter, and that was a negative at the time. Well, after a good while with both lights I have come to realize that in the ultra-compact sized AA lights flood is what I really wanted. Little lights beg to be used for close-up work and not having a tightly defined hot-spot makes it easier for me. Just some food for thought.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I use a JetBeam BA10 for EDC. Even thought their website only shows a primary AA to use; I emailed them, and they told me a 14500 is fine to use with it. With the AA battery they rate it at 160 lumens. With the AA battery in place, I got a LUX score of 81 on my meter at 21 inches distance. Then with the 14500 in place, I got 238 LUX at the same distance. So if LUX and Lumens are on a proportional scale ( I don't know ) then it would appear that the 14500 bumps the lumens from 160 to about 470.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option is Ray S20 which puts out 210 lumens OTF. It's built for 10440, but no surprise it gets real hot after a short while.

jax

Newly Enlightened
old news for sure but the quark mini aa turns mean with a 14500 in it.in my past experiance the nitecore d11 and quark aa regular both get a very nice boost with a 14500 cell.
i never knew the preons turned into little flamethrowers with a lith-ion cell,so thanks to that poster..
my favorite edc lights are single aa size with 14500's in them.been looking at jetbeams BA10,and RRT-0-X,also thrunite's aa neutron...all of which i hear go manic with 14500 food..hey 400+ lumens in a finger sized light excellent!! lets all chug from a big bottle of raging flashoholism,get flashlight tattoos,and go buy a 12 pack of AW 14500 cells,yah!! now if you'll excuse me,i must go finish shaving my back.......

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few days ago I received a package with 4Sevens Single-Bay Smart Charger and 4x AW 14500s. I have used them in my Xeno E03 with great result. I like that I can vary the brightnesses by changing the battery. However, the lights who can be used with both AAs and 14500s can't be regulated(if I am not wrong here).
I wonder if there is any "pocket rocket" which is regulated for the voltage of a 14500? I am aware of the problem of heat with small lights, but think I can feel in my hand when the light becomes too warm and put it off to prevent damage.

blue dog

Newly Enlightened
can you put a 10440 in a microstream ? Things i have learned, 10440 + preon = great, and ldo1 + 10440 = great I have a thing about single AAA LIGHTS.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Vesuvius

Supposedly 600 lumens on IMR 10440.

Batteries will probably run dry in something like 4 minutes though.