Rogue Icon 1 Disassembly

5Sport

Enlightened
Has anyone taken the pill apart in an Icon Rogue1. Mine is not working so I thought I would disasseble it and see if I can figure out how to fix it.'

Pics would be very helpful.

Thanks

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Good luck!

If you look inside the head, you'll see two little holes in there. You need use like a C-Clip tool/pliers to help you unscrew the pill. But, even that might not work. I have a feeling they used some kind of adhesive (like Loctite) on the threads.... :ohgeez:

5Sport

Enlightened
I saw the holes and tried to unscrew it, but it is tight. Thats why I was wondering if anyone had any luck with it.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
You might need to heat the head up somehow.

Boiling it in a ziplock-style would probably be the safest way of doing it. I am sure there are some threads here on CPF on how to do it..

purelite

Enlightened
definitley try the ziplock boil method. Surefire is know for using loctite on heads. I just had to get the window ring off a SF M2 head and I had to soak it in boiling water about 6 times to get it to let go and that was just a plastic ring!!! I heat water in a plastic bowl in the microwave until boiling then put the part in. Then I keep re boiling the water about 4 times minimum and then start trying to get it loose . I dont think things will get hot enought to damage anything but I dont have an Icon. Does it have a plastic window?

5Sport

Enlightened
Thanks, but that is my fear, the lens is plastic. I was hoping someone here had a success story.

5Sport

Enlightened
Thanks for moving this. I boiled it once then tried unscrewing it, but still no luck. I don't know how much I can heat this thing with the plastic lens.

I hope someone here has done this.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi 5 (no pun intended),

Someone here has definitely modded a Rogue 2. Not enough time at the moment, so I'll have to search around later tonight, but was it possibly member VestureOfBlood? Wasn't too long ago either. I think he put an XML in it.

I'm interested in this thread as well since I have a Rogue 2 with a dead switch, and am planning on modding it.

Good luck!

5Sport

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I keep searching but I can't find anything. When you have time to look, I would appreciate it.

5Sport

Enlightened
Still no one else. This thing sits on my desk sticking it's tongue out at me.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears the thread I remembered didn't make it through the crash. However, it was vestureofblood that did the mod, and his sales thread for it still exists!

My memory was a bit off... it's a Rogue 1 with an MC-E. I'll send a PM to see if he has disassembly pics.

5Sport

Enlightened
Thanks, I don't want to cut into his business, I just want to save my broken Rogue.. I'm not even sure what I'm going to do if I get it open, I'm hoping an easy fix.

Thanks again

jonathanluu2

Newly Enlightened
I was looking to see if someone had done any modifications on the Rogues and found your thread.

I have a Rogue I and I was curious if it came apart as well. The pill of mine was threaded into the bezel. The same threads in the inside of the bezel also thread onto the body of the flashlight. Because this is the point where water could enter the body of the flashlight, mine came all lubed up. This allowed me to stick needle-nose pliers into the two holes of the pill inside the bezel and unscrew. The lube helped free things up very easily. I am not sure what made yours so difficult to unlock.

Unfortunately, once I unscrewed the pill out of the bezel, it didnt get me too far. The pill is jacketed by an aluminum sleeve that is press fit around the pill and doesnt allow for much tinkering. I suppose you could rip out the existing LED and resolder in a different one...? Thats as far as I got.
(sorry at work without my flashlight, so no pictures... perhaps later if I remember...:crackup:)

I'd like to find a drop-in for the whole pill but I dont know if they exist. I'm more of a headlamp guy so my knowledge of drop-in's is limited to pretty much the P-60 standard.

J. Peel

Latest posts