A returning flashaho-lite

Daytona

Newly Enlightened
Guess I have decided to de-lurk myself...

I can't even remember how did I ended up on CPF 10 years ago. But it was fun, I ended up getting myself an Inova microlight (long dead), an Arc AAA (just died), a SureFire E2 Executive (still alive), and 2 Brinkmann Legend LX (still alive).

Then between school and work I have dropped off the grid, but I still have my lights with me!

Recently my Arc AAA finally gave up the ghost, and I used up my last set of CR123 (the 10 years of shelf life of these things is not a joke). So I have decided to come back to CPF and do some reading.

What a change in the world of light from 10 years ago! :wow:

I read through various threads on AAA keychain lights, and finally decided to order a couple Maratac stainless steel AAAs. I have just received them today, and HOLY SMOKES.

That thing throw out more light then my E2 :eek:oo:

So I guess my question is: is there still a place for lights like the E2? What should I do with it? I still keep one of my Legend LX in the car and the other one around the house. But my Maratac AAA outshines the LX too...

Well, I guess it's good to be back :eek:

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Welcome to the new decade :party:

Sorry to hear about your Arc, if you hadn't heard, the entire operation gave up the ghost as well. Your Surefire of course still works, and that's why it'll mean a lot to your grandkids when they receive it as an heirloom. Meanwhile, go out and get yourself some 21st century hardware; we've got 1xAA lights brighter than an ROP Mag, LED production lights as bright as aircraft landing lights, and a cornucopia of LED tints and body materials..

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a couple upgrades you can do with your E2 if you want to convert it to LED but you might just want to keep it original.There are so many lights to choose from right now it can be overwhelming just trying to decide on what to get! My advice to would be to do a lot of reading to catch up on all the information then come up with a budget and start looking at lights.There are a lot of LED lights with very high output but there are other factors like tint and runtime so I would avoid "chasing lumens" to start out.Welcome back and hang on to your wallet!

Daytona

Newly Enlightened
StarHalo said:
Sorry to hear about your Arc, if you hadn't heard, the entire operation gave up the ghost as well.

Damn, so the ARC website is just an empty shell now? :(

Your Surefire of course still works, and that's why it'll mean a lot to your grandkids when they receive it as an heirloom.

Lol, maybe. Do SF still make replacement parts for the old E2s?

Meanwhile, go out and get yourself some 21st century hardware;
The Maratac SS AAA is a start ;) SF is coming out with something new later this year too right?

StarHalo said:
Welcome to the new decade :party:
ZMZ67 said:
Welcome back and hang on to your wallet!
DM51 said:
After a 9-year absence - welcome back! :)
Bullzeyebill said:
Welcome back, and have some fun here. :twothumbs:
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Daytona

Newly Enlightened
Other than that scratch in the head, I will say it's still in pretty good condition...
IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Do SF still make replacement parts for the old E2s?

SF is coming out with something new later this year too right?

I'm not a Surefire guy, you should ask AngelOfWar.

If you're into AAA lights at the moment, you can pick up a 115 lumen model for $30 here (it'll do 230+ lumens briefly using a Li-ion, brighter than a 6D Mag..)

purelite

Enlightened
Thats a beautiful classic light. I dont know whats out there to upgrade it but I do remember having a silver one of these ten years ago and thinking it was the bomb!! Even if there are no upgrades for it hang on to it. It is Surefire history

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a change in the world of light from 10 years ago! :wow:
Well, I guess it's good to be back :eek:

Welcome back!
Oh, I succeeded to be away 3 months, and what a change only for that short time! I don't dare to imagine what will be within the next 10 years! :)

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back to the light!!

Might want to post up pics of that old E2, depending on exactly what features it has.. that will dictate what you can mod on it. If its in good shape I would just leave it stock... but thats just me.

Yes Arc is pretty much gone from CPF.

Wrong ARC, I think... But still, something he should know about.

That is a beautifully intact E2! Very nice man! I say try ot get a neutral white Veleno Designs drop-in for it, but keep a few of the bulbs around, just for old times sake.

And get ready to be floored by some of the lights out there!

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to go off topic but were those photos taken with an iphone 4 by any chance? Just noticed the odd green cast in the centre of each photo

Welcome back btw!

Daytona

Newly Enlightened
Now you guys piqued my interest: What happened to the real ARC (the Peter Gransee one) and what's the story about it?

Abarth: yes the photos are taken with an iPhone 4 :eek: I thought the green cast is from the flashlight itself heh

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never thought I'd do this to someone on the board years longer than myself.
:welcome:

What happened to the real ARC (the Peter Gransee one) and what's the story about it?
Peter Gransee over extended himself financially and went broke. His former machine shop continued making them as the Peak Matterhorn
Peak has grown the model lineup a lot and you can select LEDs, batteries, drive levels - in short design your own flashlight.
Peak now have their own subforum.

AaronG

Enlightened
If you want to see something really cool check out the sunwayman V10R ti. Fully variable from sub 1 lumen to 210 lumens, solid titanium 1 cr123 production light for around $150.

10 years ago I was still lugging around a 2 AA mini-mag. I couldn't imagine going back to that now :huh: