I'm preparing to build a ROP...

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
It will be given a home in a 3D Mag. I know I need the lens, bulb, dummy battery, and battery holders, but I already have the batteries. They are Energizer rechargables, 2300 mAh.

My question is, will these batteries be good enough? What kind of performance can be expected from them, run-time? etc.

jaundice

Enlightened
I can't comment on the quality of your cells, but I think you have too long of a light for a ROP. Generally, ROPs take 6 nimh cells, and a 3 D light will take 9 AA cells in a 9AA>3D carrier. When using AA cells, most people use a 2D light.

Your 3D light would make a great 1185 light. Those are usually built on 3D lights, when using AA cells.

-John

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
I can't comment on the quality of your cells, but I think you have too long of a light for a ROP. Generally, ROPs take 6 nimh cells, and a 3 D light will take 9 AA cells in a 9AA>3D carrier. When using AA cells, most people use a 2D light.

Your 3D light would make a great 1185 light. Those are usually built on 3D lights, when using AA cells.

-John

Why wouldn't a dummy battery make the 3 D just like a 2 D?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why wouldn't a dummy battery make the 3 D just like a 2 D?

It will be waste of space to use 6AA in 3D M*g but absolutely possible.
It will be given a home in a 3D Mag. I know I need the lens, bulb, dummy battery, and battery holders, but I already have the batteries. They are Energizer rechargables, 2300 mAh.

My question is, will these batteries be good enough? What kind of performance can be expected from them, run-time? etc.

Another choice is to use 6S/2P system (total of 12 AA cells but 7.2 volt @ 4600mAh) similar to this.
In this case, your 3D must be bored out and you will get double the run time (about an hour HO), less frequent recharge, less stress to batteries and higher performance.

BTW, you also need aluminum reflector.