Why aren't there more dedicated handgun mounted flashlights?

KracknCorn

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty new to this flashlight scene and it's surprising me that there are literally hundreds of high quality flashlights from dozens of different manufacturers. My question is, why aren't there more lights like the Surefire X300, Insight M6, and the Streamlight TLR series? As a gun collector, I'd be very interested in new more powerful flashlights for my guns. As I'm sure that millions of other gun collectors, airsofters, police and military would be. Is the market too small? Are there regulations on importing such lights? Just seems like an untapped market to me.

Mdinana

Enlightened
I would assume b/c most manufacturers are in Asia? Ie, smaller market in general.

I also assume that even in the US, there's not a HUGE market for those lights. Plus, given size constraints, there's only so much you can do with the battery options available.

Xacto

Enlightened
Not sure about other countries, but dedicated gunlights are illegal in germany and would be pretty useless anyway because of strict gun laws. Why spend money on R&D for a product that has less sale potential than a regular flashlight with a 1" body that can be mounted just as easily.

Cheers
Thorsten

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Traditionally, there has not been a universal mounting system on handguns which means that manufacturers have to make a single light and a bunch of modular rails that adapt the light to the different model pistols that they would want to target (no pun intended). This makes the lights bulkier than they need to be. Guns like the USP, which have a proprietary rail system, are no better because you would still need an adapter rail to fit one of these lights to it. With the universal rail systems on recent guns this problem has been mostly solved. Still, the market is small and there is a small group of manufacturers who make handgun mounted lights because we're limited to manufacturers who are based here in the USA. As has been said, most flashlight manufacturers are based in Asia and most of Asia have extremely strict firearm laws restricting their citizens from ownership. The military and police are the only people who are allowed to own firearms of any kind so there is almost no R&D for these kinds of lights.

In addition to all this the holster makers don't make holsters for handguns with a light mounted to it which limits the carrying ability of a LEO or soldier who wants to have a light mounted to their weapon, which even further limits the market. There are too many possible combinations of firearm and lights to make anything but a "universal" holster and any firearm you place in it won't be held too securely, which would make it a retention and safety risk.

bard

Newly Enlightened
In addition to all this the holster makers don't make holsters for handguns with a light mounted to it which limits the carrying ability of a LEO or soldier who wants to have a light mounted to their weapon, which even further limits the market. There are too many possible combinations of firearm and lights to make anything but a "universal" holster and any firearm you place in it won't be held too securely, which would make it a retention and safety risk.

There are a few holsters for specific handguns with specific lights, and a couple of makers who will make custom Kydex molds for you. But...

One of the major problems is that handguns with lights on them are bulky. They don't conceal well (or work well with concealment holsters), which is going to be a non-starter for most armed citizens. And military/LEO types who can carry outside their duty uniforms without that bulky thing arousing suspicion typically don't spec out their own gear.

The civilians I've talked to who have dedicated handgun lights usually have a handgun that's set up with a light for in-home defense only - they don't carry it anywhere else. These individuals are also well-off enough that having a near-$1k handgun/light setup for a single purpose makes sense for them.

It would be interesting to see someone make a close-quarters light in the same form factor as a LaserMax (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AT05FK/?tag=cpf0b6-20, for instance). Wonder if that kind of thing would attract more users.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Quality lights that are available are expensive. There is R&D required to make a light survive the weapons recoil.

Streamlight, Surefire, Insight, Itac,... are some. Glock has the GTL. There are plenty of clones of these brands too.

I think that the issue is someone spending as much money on a light/laser combo, as they did on the weapon. And, the clones or cheaper lights don't last too long. My Ncstar has a light that throws off to the side and a laser that needs to be adjusted after each round is fired.

entoptics

Enlightened
Unlike flashlights, there's really no middle ground market for gun lights.

Most folks who want a light for airsoft duty are perfectly happy with a $30 "generic" light, of which there are a billion choices. The rest of the market wants a bomb proof light.

Also, handgun lights don't need to be "state of the art" bright or efficient. More than approximately 150 lumens, and it's too bright and because of usage patterns, they don't need to run for years on a single battery. Therefore, manufacturers tend to focus their efforts on size, simplicity, and durability.

This means there's probably not much of a market for manufacturers like Quark, Klarus, O-light, etc. Those manufacturers are mostly concerned with performance/value ratios and often sacrifice some reliability/durability to get the best runtime and brightness at a reasonable price.

In short, the "flashahaulic" market is so tiny that it probably wouldn't pay to develop new gun lights that press the edge of technology. The best we can hope for is that Streamlight, Surefire, etc will eventually include "old" technology (i.e. XPG, XRE, XML, etc) in a couple years.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
This means there's probably not much of a market for manufacturers like Quark, Klarus, O-light, etc.
For the record, 4Sevens (makers of Quark) do offer a durable, weapon tested tactical light, the Maelstrom G5. It's a curious light because it was designed for and tested by law enforcement officers but has all the bells and whistles that appeal to flashlight enthusiasts making it possibly the only true biz tactical light that appeals to both markets.

jgh

Newly Enlightened
I think that a handgun mounted flashlight would be of limited value from a police/military point of view and that is where the market would have to be to make it viable for manufacturers. The weight of the flashlight would affect the balance of the weapon, so you would have to train with it and carry it mounted on the handgun all of the time. This would mean extra weight on your belt for something you'd only use occasionally, plus you'd still have to carry another flashlight for general use. Also, mounting a pressure switch to a handgun would be difficult when compared to something like an AR-15 and it would have to be mounted in a position where you wouldn't turn it on every time (you don't always want a flashlight advertising your location).

CQ73

Newly Enlightened
I've been wondering the same thing. I do want something bomb-proof, of course, but I don't want just an old-school LED or incan with only an on-off. I'd love some variability in the brightness and especially a strobe option.

Are lights like the Streamlight, Insight, Surefire, Blackhawk, and Beamshot possible to modify with newer electronics and emitters?

smitty1283

Newly Enlightened
I remember reading in a 4sevens thread that a pistol light was in the works.....there is a lot of R/D involved with weapon light testing so it may be awhile.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Why spend money on R&D for a product that has less sale potential than a regular flashlight with a 1" body that can be mounted just as easily.

It's not that easy to mount a regular flashlight on a handgun while keeping the whole system compact and practical for carry and actual use. Switching is also an issue that would in many cases detract from the value of mounting a flashlight on a handgun in the first place. Dedicated weapon lights are designed to address these issues to a significant degree.

It would be interesting to see someone make a close-quarters light in the same form factor as a LaserMax (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AT05FK/?tag=cpf0b6-20, for instance). Wonder if that kind of thing would attract more users.

I think there would definitely be a market for it, but the market would be rather limited because most users prefer a concentrated beam with which they could potentially dazzle their opponents, and I think achieving that would be problematic with the 7-8 mm aperture available on typical pistols in this form factor. Even, say, a 60+ lumen pure flood internal weapon light running for 30 minutes or so on an AAAA cell, for example, would generate some interest because of its convenience, but we're talking about a small portion of what is already a small market. Additionally, a different version would have to be made for and thoroughly tested with each and every make and model of pistol that is supported, which greatly increases costs (it would have to compete with a number of existing ultra-compact handgun lights that would cost far less and be somewhat more capable).

While I'd like to say that such a device would expand the market for weapon lights, based on my many discussions with other gun owners, unless the above issues can somehow be overcome, the vast majority of users would rather just stick with using a more powerful, focused flashlight with their other hand.

In short, the "flashahaulic" market is so tiny that it probably wouldn't pay to develop new gun lights that press the edge of technology. The best we can hope for is that Streamlight, Surefire, etc will eventually include "old" technology (i.e. XPG, XRE, XML, etc) in a couple years.

These are all valid points, although they're not that far behind right now. My TLR-1s, for example, has a modern Rebel emitter that is approximately the equivalent of a Q5 bin XP-E, and it puts out a conservative 160 lumens (regulated) for over 2 hours.

I think that a handgun mounted flashlight would be of limited value from a police/military point of view and that is where the market would have to be to make it viable for manufacturers.

That's generally true for the military, but handgun-mounted lights seem pretty common among police officers these days, at least from what I've seen. That makes sense because handguns are seldom used by soldiers but are the primary weapons, due to various circumstances, of police officers.

The weight of the flashlight would affect the balance of the weapon, so you would have to train with it and carry it mounted on the handgun all of the time.

I guess it depends on the individual, but my relatively heavy weapon light is mounted on my relatively lightweight pistol (Smith & Wesson M&P), and I can barely tell it's there even with the magazine out (the worst case for balance). In fact, I practice with the light most often with my plastic Airsoft replica, which is lighter than the real pistol, and I can still barely tell the light is there (no noticeable effect on my shooting speed).

This would mean extra weight on your belt for something you'd only use occasionally, plus you'd still have to carry another flashlight for general use.

Well, you need a backup source of light anyway, and the nice thing about weapon lights is that they're always ready for immediate use when you need your gun, which in many such situations generally means NOW. The issue is not so much that weapon lights lack sufficient utility, but that more of those who use guns for self-defense need to realize that sometimes they'll need light--many still ignore the issue, choosing to rely on whatever ambient light may be available, and some just install night sights to make sure that they can see those if not the target. :eeksign:

Another limiting issue for the market is that weapon lights are controversial among gun owners because of the firearm safety rule against pointing one's weapon at a currently unidentified target, as well as the notion that some bad guys shoot at lights. Without going into great depth, personally I think the issues are overblown, but still they have some merit, and handgun-mounted lights remain controversial in the firearms community.

Are lights like the Streamlight, Insight, Surefire, Blackhawk, and Beamshot possible to modify with newer electronics and emitters?

I'm pretty sure that one could stick the latest XP-G R5 or S2 in a current Streamlight TLR-1s, for instance, but the increase in brightness is not going to be all that apparent, in my opinion, while the decrease in hotspot intensity (due to the larger die) may well be (ignoring any other optical problems that could arise).

Last edited: