does anyone know what voltage battery this spotlight takes

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a (Rite Lite 3000) by Car and Truck signal co. it did not have the battery, looks like it uses a screw terminal battery like 6v spotlights but the terminals are offset and alittle larger that the old 6v ones. Battery would be square with offset + and - screw terminals on near the end but are offset instead of inline.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Take the bulb out and inspect it to see if it lists voltage on it. If it is halogen if you touch it with your fingers be sure to wipe it off with alcohol as the oil can damage it in use.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I want to say 7.5V... I don't know where I'm getting that number though...

Without pictures I am having trouble imagining what the battery could look like but it could be 6v or 12v. Screw terminals sort of suggests a primary battery instead of rechargable. Take the bulb out and test it on a 6v source if it is way dim then it could be a 12v light.

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
Yep, looks like the 7.5v is the perfect fit. To bad I was hoping for 6 or 12 v, Im not going to buy a expensive 7.5v for the $1 yardsale light but I will try some of my 7.2v RC nicads on it and see how long they last.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Wow.... I didn't even know anyone made a 7.5v battery like that. what kind of bulb does the light use? You could replace the bulb with one of a different voltage and use a different battery solution.

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
The bulb looks like a typical tail light bulb for a car, I have not taken it apart so I don't know if it's removable or
sealed, I hope I can change it because this is a industrial light with a great looking reflector. Yes alot of the big
utility companys used spotlights with 7.5v batteries, those days are long gone and so are the batteries so I hope
nicads or lipos will run this light.

EASTWOOD

Newly Enlightened
Post a pic of the bulb and socket if you can. The incan guys could probably come up with 100 different options for max brightness based on the battery pack you decide to use.

Yikes! The price of that battery floored me. And it's only a single use alkaline. $48 would buy me 28 Duraloops.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Post a pic of the bulb and socket if you can. The incan guys could probably come up with 100 different options for max brightness based on the battery pack you decide to use.

Yikes! The price of that battery floored me. And it's only a single use alkaline. $48 would buy me 28 Duraloops.

at 7.5v you could probably use lithium ion batteries (2 in series) to power it.

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
No thanks, I went out last night and measured the current (1.2 flood/ 3.5 spot) amps @ 7.2v, and it not that great I know now why everything going HID or led. For
a $1 yardsale item maybe I can use it to discharge my nicad packs.