aspheric lights?

ggreenjohny

Newly Enlightened
can anyone recommend a good aspheric light. preferably edc size or a little bigger

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
There aren't many. Some people end up making their own. There are the cheap "flood-to-throw" type of lights and a few add-on "turbo head" types.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get an optic that will fit a p60 head no problem. Get yourself an XRE drop in and remove the reflector and you can turn any P60 "EDC" into an aspheric.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually you usually have to paint out the reflector. You need it as a spacer to hold the pill into place. That's certainly easier than buying one of the commercially available setups though for sure.

utlgoa

Enlightened
can anyone recommend a good aspheric light. preferably edc size or a little bigger

z1ch.jpg

Features

Flashlight :
  • TrustFire CREE XM-L T6 LED Adjustable Focus Torch
  • Output bright can come to above 1600 lumens [lm]
  • Model of LED: CREE XM-L T6 LED
  • Internal wiring applies the high efficient booster circuit, working voltage is wide and can utilize the batteries in the largest extent.
  • Waterproofing design
  • Material: High quality 6061T Aluminium.
  • 7 Mode: high / middle / low / strobe / sos / Zoom In & Zoom Out
  • Power by : 2 x 18650 3.7v
  • Colour : Metal Metallic
  • Size(mm):195 x 37(bezel)/25(body)
  • Weight : 180g
z1a.jpg

z1f.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!l0E3ICZqqbiBOI+M()8rw~~_12.JPG

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually you usually have to paint out the reflector. You need it as a spacer to hold the pill into place. That's certainly easier than buying one of the commercially available setups though for sure.

Good point. I was thinking that when you screw the head on it would hold the LED/Board down but I guess it only does that because of the reflector.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. I was thinking that when you screw the head on it would hold the LED/Board down but I guess it only does that because of the reflector.

You can find some non-P60 type hosts that have screw in pills and in that case you can simply remove the reflector. You can even screw the head in and out a bit to fine tune the emitter focus pattern. With the thrower I currenly use most I made it with such a host. I still painted out the "Cree ring" just to have an artifact free beam.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, hawkmoon69 has a couple of p60 Ashperic lens setups with the spacer kits and a Nailbender XRE drop in available right now in the marketplace. If you're going to build an aspheric setup on the p60 platform, that's the drop-in to use.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am holidaying in Nam at the moment.
They have so many adjustable aspheric lights on sale for US$10!
Very entry level quality.
All unknown Chinese brands like Ultrafire etc.

It's amazing to see how aspherics work.
You can immediately distinguish the thick convex lens at the front.
It zooms out by flooding just like a Maglite or LedLenser.
When we zoom in, it throws a tiny hotspot of the identical shape/image as the emitter.

Not sure how well it lights up the night, because I was at the markets in the daytime...

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am holidaying in Nam at the moment.
They have so many adjustable aspheric lights on sale for US$10!
Very entry level quality.
All unknown Chinese brands like Ultrafire etc.

It's amazing to see how aspherics work.
You can immediately distinguish the thick convex lens at the front.
It zooms out by flooding just like a Maglite or LedLenser.
When we zoom in, it throws a tiny hotspot of the identical shape/image as the emitter.

Not sure how well it lights up the night, because I was at the markets in the daytime...

Most are set up so that when you zoom out it's in throw mode and when you zoom in it throws it out of focus, comes closer to the emitter and you have flood.

makapuu

Enlightened
Tiablo A9 with aspheric head, XRE Q5 or R2 LED
Deerelight DBS V3 with aspheric head, XRE Q5 or R2
Deerelight CL1H V4 with aspheric head XPE R3
The LED's listed above are the ones needed for max throw because of their higher surface brightness and smaller die size.
The beams can be focused with more pinpoint intensity matched with the proper aspheric lens.
I should note the lights mentioned are not sliding head zoomies.
You need screw the head to adjust focus.