Wee SS special - 3 Mode with XP-G and Aspherical Lens

mash.m

Enlightened
Hi,

last week my wee ss arrived. first i was disappointed of the bad beam. it had much side spill that is not usable caus it is to dark. and the "hotspot" is to small and dark.
My idea was a aspherical lens to collect more light, cause the reflector is only polished stainless steal. i had an old dome from a sst-90 wich fits perfectly inside the reflector.

after this i get i real good beam, but only with one mode.
i want more, so i desolder all parts from a dx 3 mode driver boad and made a new dropin with a xp-g on a 10mm square board from cutter. this first dropin look terrible, but works like sharm, also the 3 modes. with the xr-e it is not possible to make such a dropin, cause the package is too big. there is one 7135 to regualte the current at 350ma.

yesterday night i made i new dropin with a neutral white xp-g that is soldered better and looks much better. it is completly molded in black epoxy.

so here now some pictures to see the output. all with the same settings so the result can compared directly. white balance was auto - sorry about this.

Wee ss xr-e original:
5q6f-19-f717.jpg

wee ss xr-e with aspherical lens:
5q6f-1a-6c83.jpg

wee with xp-g and the aspherical lens:
5q6f-1b-d9d4.jpg

wee ss with neutral white xp-g and aspherical lens:
5q6f-1f-c0c7.jpg

first dropin that look terrible:
5q6f-1e-f457.jpg

second dropin:
5q6f-1g-2838.jpg

this was a really hard work, but now i am happy with the wee.

markus

Bribo

Newly Enlightened
Marcus,
That mod is awesome! I can see you have a way better understanding of electronics than I do (QTC is a civil engineers electronic saviour !). You actually took the components off the driver and re-soldered them on a smaller board ? how long did it take you to do this and how did you even figure it out :sick2: I notice that you don't appear to have a lath or milling machine ? If you ever need something custom for one of your projects I would be glad to help in trade/collaboration, those low current green leds on your raw look amazing.

edit- I had a look at some of your other posts and it seems you are pretty handy with the lath as well, very nice work.
Bribo.

Last edited:

mash.m

Enlightened
hi bribo,

i have a very old lathe, but with this it is not possible to make screw threads. i can make dropins and heatsinks for myself. this is enough for me. my uncle have i big lathe that can make threads. he also have a big milling machine, not cnc. i think i can better with electronics cause a had an education on this.
driver: you are right i removed the atmel (reprogrammed it for my requirements) and a 7135 for the current limit. the devices are not soldered to a pcb, they are glued at a small pice of plastic. on top of them there is a little coppersink for the led. the components are conected with enameled copper wires. all is glued in black powder and epoxy. the first dropin is without this and looks ugly.

j6nt-6-1679.jpg

here you can see the emitter behind the lens and the ucl. the ucl is used for water resist:
j6nt-4-a87f.jpg