Surefire E2D McClicky Switch Mod

lewong

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Surefire E2D and started thinking about putting a McClicky switch in it. I've put McClicky switches in a lot of my flashlights – Surefires, JetBeams, Lumapowers, Solarforce and even Ultrafires. To me, the McClicky just seems like the perfect flashlight switch for flashlights of a certain size.

I read on CPF how the McClicky is a direct replacement for the Surefire Z52 switch but the Z57/Z61 tailcaps require some modification. I took the E2D tailcap apart and saw that from the front, the McClicky threads partially into the E2D tailcap but it would need to have more threads cut in it for the switch to be in the right position for it to work.

I tried to figure a way around this. I realized if I filed down a few threads on the McClicky switch, I could insert it in the E2D tailcap from the rear and it would rest against an existing ridge in the tailcap. The switch is held in by the stock retaining ring.

The McClicky switch requires less pressure to turn on and feels "softer" compared to the stock Surefire switch. I installed a GITD tailcap, a Veleno Designs LED conversion module, enlarged the body for a 17670 battery, Dremeled the bezel points a little and my simple mod was complete.

(I pulled the switch from another flashlight that required the yellow tape - in the E2D tailcap the tape isn't needed )

5972058794_d7db5bc87e_z.jpg

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
What Birchwood Casey pen did you use for the E2D, Gloss Black or Flat Black?

I'm guessing Flat?

And how is it holding up...does it rub off easy?

lewong

Newly Enlightened
I used the gloss black. I only put on two coats. If I put it bezel down on a table, the coating on the tips that contact the table wear off pretty quickly. Maybe it'd be better if I put on more coats; but the worn look doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
good work, thanks for the info!

edit: to be clear: so the E2D switch is the only E-series switch it's (the McClicky) not directly out of the box compatible with?

Last edited:

mahoney

Enlightened
You'll also need to mod the McClicky or the switch housing to use a McClicky in a Z57