Any other CPF'ers have this dream?

U

user1016

(I was going to post this in "The CAFE" but I feel it's more related to Flashaholics and flashlight users in general).

I find it interesting that a lot of shooters I know have dreams of trying to shoot a gun, and finding the trigger pull ridiculously heavy (or impossible to pull without breaking the gun), or athletes dream of running slowly into the ground, whereas, for me, I dream often that I'm someplace dark and my damned Maglite is nearly flat and gives off a very dim light instead of the beautiful Malkoff devices light it should (that or it never turns on at all)

Anyone else experience this?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmm, definitely strange. When you describe the dreams of a heavy trigger I've had similar dreams in that I've had people attacking me and when I try to swing back in defense my arms weigh a ton like their made of concrete and I can't get off a punch. I have to say though that I have never experienced a dream like you describe but it sure sounds like one a true flashaholic would have, maybe a little TOO much flahaholicism

nbp

Flashaholic
Yes I have had that dream. Several times I have gone to turn on a light and the batteries are dead in the dream. Super frustrating!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
My HDS performs like a solitare, .45's that hit like a nerf gun, and a Sebenza that cuts like the backside of a plastic butterknife. Yep, Ive had those nightmares. And the one where im running from someone because of said failures, and its like Im running through a pool of honey.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have had a few flashlight dreams... its always me somewhere picking up surefire lego parts up off the dirt ground, always behind some bushes in a dirt planter somewhere. Leef, 5mega, solarforce, Over-ready, surefire... its a great dream!!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I have nightmares maybe two or three times a year tops. And I've only had one flashlight dream; I was walking through a shopping mall on an unremarkable day when suddenly my brain decided to throw me a nasty surprise and out went the lights completely - a pitch black blackout. Without forethought or hesitation, my hand automatically went to my pocket and pulled out my flashlight, turning it on in one fluid motion. No emotional response, just an instinctual motion like right out of firearms training, and I carried on without thinking about it at all. When I woke up, I had a chuckle that my flashaholism actually gave me the ability to defeat my own unconsciousness. My brain hasn't bothered trying a surprise blackout again.

I have had a few flashlight dreams... its always me somewhere picking up surefire lego parts up off the dirt ground, always behind some bushes in a dirt planter somewhere.

I'd like to try that one myself, though I always hate that feeling waking up from a "treasure" dream and realizing it wasn't real..

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a "King-Kong" dinosaur dream...me and my brother ran into a white tin warehouse. Inside the warehouse...every imaginable weapon/tactical piece of gear (with SF weaponlights attached :0)) . Needless to say, we went in, grabbed some MP5's and 9mm's, and gave those T-Rexes some lead :0)

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
No never but now I will for sure since you brought it up haha!

I have had the IDENTICAL experience as Ebow86 on a number of occasions, Someone is fighting me and My arms are like slow moving sloths. I cant land a single descent punch, I then had two very challenging fights (Not a dream haha) and Ive never had the dream since, the brain works in mysterious ways. =D

Still glad their gone, Ill wait for my light not turning on dream tonight..... i know ill have it :p

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
Never the flashlight dream (so far), but the firearm dream is about once a month.

Sitting in a restaurant/church/hotel lobby/etc. and several guys start shooting. I stand out of my chair, sidestep to cover as I sweep my cover garment and begin my draw. Pistol comes out of the holster, hands meet and press out. I can see my front sight as big as a car tire on the BGs chest. I feel my finger touch the trigger and begin to press.............and nothing. It's like I'm pulling against a thousand pound weight. I slip both index fingers into the trigger guard and pull as hard as I can. When the trigger finally breaks, I can see the bullet flying through the air like a nerf dart with a rainbow trajectory...only to miss the intended target.

When I finally wake up, I'm generally covered in sweat and feel like I've run a marathon. The rest of my day is generally ruined because I'm so tired/stressed from the nightmare.

I'm stressed out just thinking about it now...

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I often dream I'm driving a car and no matter how hard I push the brake, nothing happens :caution:
I don't remember having had the light dream though.

I'd like to try that one myself, though I always hate that feeling waking up from a "treasure" dream and realizing it wasn't real..
I know that feeling too, sucks.

Last edited:

LiFe

Newly Enlightened
Those kinds of dreams are such a drainer, I've had dreams where someone important to me is lost and calling out to me through the darkness and panicking not being able to locate them because my light was somehow discharged and not turning on.
Other dreams i've been in a state of confusion and panic as my light is in but can't penetrate the darkness, nothing being illuminated feeling so vulnerable not knowing what dangers lay ahead in the pitch black, disorientated not knowing where I was.
I wake up sweating and heart racing and always go for a torch to shine around the room to reassure myself I am where I should be.

Very upsetting dreams.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the dream where I'm trying to run and it's impossibly slow. I've also had the dream where I'm back at college, no idea what classes I'm supposed to go to, no idea which projects I missed, and I need to talk to the professor. Can't recall a flashlight dream actually.

Larbo

Enlightened
The gun dream for me involves finding ammo or the right kind.

U

user1016

I've had the dream where I'm trying to run and it's impossibly slow. I've also had the dream where I'm back at college, no idea what classes I'm supposed to go to, no idea which projects I missed, and I need to talk to the professor. Can't recall a flashlight dream actually.

+1 on this. I dream I've gone back in time and I'm now back at primary school, secondary, or college, (or even sometimes back at work in an enormous office I used to work in), and I am trying to find a supervisor/teacher, someone to report to, but everyone else is busy on calls or working and I cannot disturb them.

Course if this happens in real life I'd be tempted to say "Stuff it" and just go home.

It's weird how these dreams all have that same link. We take on a natural response to something, and for some reason it doesn't function (ie guns don't fire, flashlights don't turn on or barely turn on, car brakes do not work etc). There's definitely a link there.

In general, the idea of dreaming about a fight and barely being able to punch seems another common one. Have had this kind before too (although in reality I've never thrown so much as a playful punch) so I don't know, perhaps I need to train up.

Although interestingly enough, my Maglite 4D does indeed have a frighteningly bad habit of not turning on in reality rather than dream, when it should. At home it works 100% reliable, but the last 3 times I've actually *needed* it, it has not turned on (I'm rewarded with a click and pitch black remains). One instance being similar to what someone here posted, that I was at my shopping centre during the middle of the day, and we had a power outage which left us with about 10 seconds of emergency lighting (which also died, they just spent the last month replacing them all). I instinctively reached into my holster (how sad... I must be the only person in my state who does this) and pulled out my maglite, clicked it only to have nothing. I thought I must have gone blind and tried a few more times, the ******* of a tail cap needed to be unscrewed and screwed in again before it worked.

richpalm

Banned
Mine is when I'm trying to dial 911 or somesuch, and the phone doesn't work, or I'm all fumbles trying to dial. With my mental health history most of my dreams are bizarre (understatement) and I wake up more tired than when I went to bed.

All in widescreen, hi-res, blazing color with 15 track digital sound of course! :tinfoil: :confused:

Rich

nbp

Flashaholic
It's weird, different dreams for everyone, but the same inability to accomplish a desired task, whether running, pulling triggers, turning on lights, punching etc. I should go back to my psych books and see what it means. Fascinating that all people seem to be connected by that same type of dream, regardless of culture, occupation or otherwise.

Edit: James you had the same thought as me, but I hadn't seen your post, haha. :thumbsup:

U

user1016

It's weird, different dreams for everyone, but the same inability to accomplish a desired task, whether running, pulling triggers, turning on lights, punching etc. I should go back to my psych books and see what it means. Fascinating that all people seem to be connected by that same type of dream, regardless of culture, occupation or otherwise.

Edit: James you had the same thought as me, but I hadn't seen your post, haha. :thumbsup:

I too find it fascinating. You've summed it up perfectly, we just want to perform something, and it usually is something that has to be done *now*, or at that specific moment.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a recurring dream of showing off my light collection to a prospective customer/friend and either the light stops functioning or is incredibly dim... I'll go to other lights but they're all dim as candles! It's incredibly frustrating! I thought I was the only one!!! I think that's when you know you have it bad. :D

Shao