Light died need advice input on a new one

samhane

Newly Enlightened
Like the title says my Strion died out on me so I figured this was the place to ask about a few that I'm looking at. I liked the Strions length and thickness as it fit the hand well and in emergencies could be held in the fist like a roll of quaters. It will mostly be a work light (I'm in LE but in the jail) so I'd like to keep it around 5"-6" long for comfort after work it will always be left in the car and used as an everything light. Strobe and Rechargable would be nice or use the 123 batteries or ability to use both would be great. Would also like to keep it in the $70-$90 range.

I'm looking at (I think I'm forgetting one)

4Sevens - Maelstrom G5
4Sevens - Quark 1232 Turbo

Fenix - TA20

Any luck on holsters for the Fenix TA20? Adefinite need for work. What can you tell about these? Any others I should be looking at?

Thanks

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the JetBeams. They make some nice models that use either 2x123 or 1x18650. They have very nice holsters available separately, either tactical or programmable UI, and a nice range of tactical accessories such as strike bezels and remote switches. They are very robust and durable and can take a lot of hard use. I've owned three Jets in the last year and been very pleased with all of them.

The entire family is here.

Recommendation no. 1.

Recommendation no. 2.

Cool accessories.

Last edited:

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
I'm in total agreement with BOwz3r. I currently carry his option #2 and would like option #1. I love the light, I have it with an OP reflector and like the smooth light without cree-rings. The loss of throw is rarely a factor for my uses. I have dazed individuals intent on harming me, dropped the light numerous times, chipped the anodizing off while my co-worker stomped on it in a parking lot while we wrestled with a crazy dude and the light does not stop. I definitely would take a good look at the new Jet III. If i could buy all the lights that I wanted I would have a Jet III.

I have been looking at the new Armytek in CPFMarketplace and would like one of those, but it is longer then what I prefer. Watching the video of its torture test it looks rather indestructible and has lots of programming options. The Jet III does not have all the programming options which can be a plus for many. For your price range I think that you will be really, really happy with a Jet III.

Sunwayman V20C and V20T look nice but I have read that they are a bit sensitive.
A bit higher than you were looking to spend but a very good light that i would likely buy before the JetIII is the Zebralight SC600 with 750 Lumens. I have a Zebralight H501W runs on a AA and is simply amazing. The UI on Zebralights is really nice and intuitive.

I recommend #1 Zebralight SC600
#2 Jet III or Armytek as you will not be EDC'ing this light in your pocket.
#3 Jet I Pro 3

Last edited:

samhane

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. BOwz3rs option #2 is a bit on the small side for me option #1 seems to look good and a good length. I like for the head of the light to stick out like an inch or so from the edge of my hand.
The strike bezel looks cool but makes it too aggressive and ends up more of a weapon for me work wise at that point and hard to justify in reports.

Scotty I was checking out the Armytec also but was thinking it was a little longer than I'd like also. I saw a comparision pic and is the same size as the G5. Still workable but would love it if it was alittle shorter. Definitly nice and bright and seems to have a nice strobe to stun a convict and make'em see nothing but blue dots so we can get the job done.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Non-strike bezel on Jet III at bugoutgearusa. I work in a hospital and understand what you say about a strike bezel, a strike bezel would go over like a fart in church.

samhane

Newly Enlightened
A small bezel is cool and acceptable though Jetbeams seem like daggers which is good for a SHTF light.

This site is nice and very informative but confuses me more because everytime I look I see more and more lights on here that fits my needs and wants its just tough
I just checked out a Klarus XT10 and is in the price range and I like the 2 button tail button interface seems idiot proof that's why I like the Fenix TA20 simple ease of use and has a lot of what I'm looking for. Anyone have any thoughts?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not an LEO, but I love good equipment and do a lot of outdoors stuff; I've always thought the Jetbeam strike bezels look like some kind of weird Klingon weapon myself... :D I live about a 1/4 mi. from an old cemetery down a dead end road through the hills next to my house, and regularly take my wife's dog up there for potty walks at night. Since it's a dead end, we get regular visits from our city's finest patrolling for partying teenagers and the like. On a few occasions now they've happened across me while taking my wife's poodle out... mostly there's not a problem but one time this young guy, must have been a rookie, got a little surprised when I turned on my Jet 3 Pro off the side of the road when I was leashing up the dog. He got a little addled when he saw my light was brighter than his... LOL... I talked him down, explained I was just out walking my dog, and getting back out from behind the tree where he dropped his cargo, and that I lived just down the road, etc., etc., etc. Usually though they ask me where I got my light, how much it cost, etc. :D