Alternative to Nitecore Extreme

brummygit

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm not knowledgeable about flashlights, but am keen on outdoor activities and camping.

I saw a friend's Nitecore Extreme and decided to buy one, especially following the UK Gadget Show review. I was really impressed by the amount of light it produced both for distance, but also with the reasonable spread. Coupled with a sensible size and OK battery requirements it seemed to fit the bill. Unfortunately the UK web sites are showing it as discontinued.

I'm looking for similar size, equal or better light output which throws a good distance and is useful closer in, CR123 or AA batteries and 1-2 hours life, and a similar price range.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thanks

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey brummygit,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here.

I'm a big fan of NEX and probably always will be :D

Anyhow, I just recently compared the HDS 170T with NEX and the beam characteristic is quite similar...lots of throw with some spill (my NEX still out throws my 170t).

In regards to the versatility and build quality, HDS hands down...in terms of price, HDS runs more expensive but you'll never regret it!

Good luck with your search.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Not sure if you would order from an American website, but Illuminationgear.com has the Nitecore Extreme R2 for $72 plus $7.50 international shipping charge. I have ordered from them before and received excellent service. Then again, customs charges will probably be ridiculous. Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable folks here can recommend something for you. Good luck.:)

Moonshadow

Enlightened
You might be able to pick one up on the marketplace.

I had both. The NEX outthrows the HDS 170 by a considerable margin.