Flashlight with very low brightness modes?

yliu

Enlightened
Currently I have a few Fenix flashlights and a Sunwayman T20C on the way.

All of this flashlights have their lowest mode around 10 lumens, which is too much for me.

So can you guys suggest me some good torches with very low settings while still have around 100+ lumens on the bright mode? I'd like it to be compact, 2xAA 2xCR123 or smaller.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
HDS 200Lu. Rotary has a low, low, level of 0.07Lu. This is level 1. There are 9 more steps to level 10 which is 8.8Lu. IIRC. all evenly spaced: Then a further 14 steps through to 200Lu. These 'lights are about as good as it gets and certainly worth looking at. :)

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Zebralight H51 (and H51f) which are headlamps but the non-headlamp version SC51 is similar I think. It has a high on 1 AA of 200 lumens and a low of .2 lumens as well as 2.4 lumens, 7 lumens, 30 lumens and 100 lumens.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
JetBeam RRT-0 S2 with Infinitely Variable control ring

Estimated at .003 to 270 lumens on single CR123.

RRT-0.jpg

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Quarks and the Zebralights each with a sub 1 lumen setting, and each achieves well over 100 lumens. Quarks and Zebralights are also my two favorite brands.

It's amazing how bright sub 1 lumen is when it's pitch black. In my bathroom I have my zebralight sc60 tailstanding on the counter for the middle of the night. The lowest setting is .18 lumens, and it lights up the whole bathroom (comfortably & is not blinding.) Very useful when it is completely dark.

Snowman_ski

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight has a very low modeas well, at least on my dbs, which is a little larger then what you want. Not 100% on the low mode on their smaller models, since I don't own one.

yliu

Enlightened
Thanks guys, it seems like it's best to get a infinitely variable light.
Since the 0.2 lumens on the quark seems to be too low to see anything than the LED glowing... although I have no experience so I cannot give a judgement.

I'm thinking of the Sunwayman V20A, I saw a review of it on youtube, and it has very low lows and the highs are more than enough.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
Since the 0.2 lumens on the quark seems to be too low to see anything than the LED glowing... although I have no experience so I cannot give a judgement.

I'm thinking of the Sunwayman V20A, I saw a review of it on youtube, and it has very low lows and the highs are more than enough.

0.2 lumens is surprisingly bright with night adjusted eyes. My main EDC was a Quark AA Tactical until I needed a lower low. The moonlight setting was still too bright to check on our puppy at night without waking her up. Your perception of 0.2 lumens may be completely different from mine however...

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast

The .2 lumens on the quarks is NOT to low; in fact, I wouldn't mind if it were lower. As I stated in my post above, my zebralight sc60 has .18 lumens which is even more dim than the quarks, and in total darkness it lights up the whole room (with night adjusted vision.) If I went from the main lights in the room being on then to off then switching on the moonlight mode on my flashlight then yeah, it would not be bright enough. After a few minutes when my eyes adjust then it is plenty bright.

When I'm navigating the house in the middle of the night and don't want to disturb anyone, the moonlight mode is great and plenty bright (where there is no ambient light). When camping, I wake up usually before sunrise. I use the moonlight mode to get what I need out of the tent, and don't disturb my wife & kids at all (at least not with my light.) You will understand the huge benefit of sub 1 lumen lights once you try it out in pitch black situations. If there is a little bit of ambient light then the sub 1 lumen setting will not be bright enough; otherwise, in total darkness it's great.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore IFE2 has a spectacular infinitely variable control ring, giving you .003 to 270 lumens (out the front). A very compact light that accepts either 2xCR123 cells or 1x18650 cell.

One of the nice things about this light is it's control ring gives you the ability for very fine adjustment of the lower levels, and I'll say this........ it actually does get so low that it WON'T light up a room, even with completely night adapted vision.

I'm happy to have finally found a light that goes high enough AND low enough for all my needs.

Just to mention another possibility, the Peak LED Solutions lights with the new QTC pill will also go extremely low, and when fitted with a lithium-ion cell will get very bright as well. They come in many different sizes and battery configurations.

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am looking for just such a light, but something that is currently being made and supported. Any suggestions?

pc_light

Enlightened
Some of the lights mentioned are still available in newer models such as Jetbeam RRT-0 and Zebra Light AA models.

Reylight AA models have some of the lowest Moonlight standard.

The latest model lights that come with Anduril let you set your own lows to even below 1 lumen if desired. The Sofirn SP10Pro (1xAA) and Wurkkos TS10 (1x14500) are worth considering. Sofirn also has several 16340 models with Anduril should be able to run off cr123.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can HIGHLY recommend any of the Zebralights. Exceedingly small, and not only do they have super low outputs, but they are also extremely efficient when running at those low outputs (and efficient at high outputs as well).

This little puppy is highly pocketable (I carry it every night at work), and has 12 selectable levels from super low of .05 lumens to a just right high of 828 lumens, and it's available now:
https://www.zebralight.com/SC64c-LE-18650-4000K-High-CRI-Flashlight-Limited-Edition_p_239.html

Be sure and order the correct battery at the same time, it can be found at the bottom left of that page.

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
The new Jet Beam with the infinite ring on a single batt is awesome. I've got the older ring adjustable and recently got the newer version - most definitely a big improvement RRT-01 Raptor I believe it is called - mine came with a rechargeable cell.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lowest outputs I have seen were on Sunwayman V Series lights, specifically the V10R and the V10A. These models are no longer made, and I don't know what Sunwayman's current models are like. But I would think that any of the variable ring control lights are worth investigating.

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
The new mag ring lights are not offered as much as they used to - but the current generation - (I don't know what iteration they are on) are vastly better than the older ones. I can turn my Jet Beam all the way down to a point that i can barely see the led illumination in a black out room - and no flicker like the old ones - just a nice steady glow.

Last edited: