Sunwayman V20C - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman V20C - Posted for consideration for the review forum

Sunwayman has continued to offer increasingly excellent products since their inception. Expanding their line of ring controlled light to include yet another completely variable option could prove to be exactly what the fans have asked for.

Sunwayman V20C

Meat and Potatoes

The variable control ring. I can't think of a more user friendly and simple interface that is as full featured as this. My variable ring lights are by far and away my favorite for daily use. They are easy to hand to a friend who needs a light for a moment without needing a 15 minute preflight instruction session. This UI has been trending lately in the flashlight world with a number of quality introductions by Sunwayman and other manufacturers. This time we find a control ring that is raised and knurled so that it is much more easily located by feel in the dark, eliminating some confusion that was found on the V10R. Also different in this iteration are the pair of click detents at the beginning and end of the variable travel signifying a standby and strobe mode.

Powered by your choice of 2 CR123A cells or a single 18650, the V20C sits firmly in the duty-light size category. It's slightly larger diameter head helps to offset the substantial dimensions of the Cree XM-L emitter nestled at the base of the lightly textured reflector. The output from this combination is excellent indeed. Especially for someone who remembers very clearly the state that flashlight technology used to occupy. Sunwayman states a completely variable range from a 0.5 lumen minimum to a searing 438 lumen top end. According to their included literature these are rated at the ANSI FL1 standard, giving further credence to what my highly trained eyeballs are registering.

Cree XM-L

Beam shape seems to be pretty typical for what I've seen thus far from the XM-L with a relatively smooth beam and a good general purpose profile. It's not a thrower, nor a floody light, but just an excellent mix of the two. A slightly wider hotspot than is seen with XP-G lights, with an enormous corona and bright spillbeam. From what I can see, there are no detrimental artifacts to be found. Combine that with absolutely no visible PWM flicker and this is definitely useful output. One quick note about the UI, more to come later. Sunwayman boasts multiple times in the manual and on the box about the ultra low current standby mode. One place actually states it as 50 μA. Seeing how I have not been able to register the current on my multimeter, I have to take them at their word. Nonetheless, it is definitely minute. This allows you to skip the tailswitch altogether if desired and operate the light solely by the adjustment ring, selecting your output dynamically each time you activate it.

The fit and finish of the V20C are classic Sunwayman quality. Their attention to detail is impeccable, and as always, covered with a thick, uniform anodizing. All of the corners are appropriately smoothed and there is nothing harsh about the lights exterior. The included cigar grip ring is actually not terrible even. Being metal, it's not quite as easy on the hands as a good rubber one, but it is none the less tolerable. Laser etched text and markings are very clear and precise. The V20C even includes indicator markings to let you know approximately where you have the light set before you turn it on (assuming you have ambient light to read them by, that is).

Variable Control Ring

Of course if you need a little ambient light to set your variable output by, currently Sunwayman is including a customer appreciation gift along with your purchase of a V20C. Tucked away right at the bottom of the package is…a second flashlight!. This little R01A is quite a nice little gift to be sure. I think I'll save it for a separate writeup actually so I'll just leave you with this teaser.

Tagalong R01A

Constructive Criticism

One of my biggest pet peeves has once again shown up in this torch. I am usually frustrated when a manufacturer attempts to make their light fulfill both tailstanding and protruding tailcap roles. The end result is that it generally lands in neither camp, rather than both. This light is no exception. Please, PLEASE, manufacturers, choose sides on this one point. Your fans will thank you for it. Either a true protruding tailcap, or a genuine tailstanding capable design, with no scallops to ruin the balance.

Scalloped Tailcap

As conceptually fantastic as this UI is, in practice in the V20C it has a few shortcomings. More frustrating is how the visible ramping doesn't appear to really begin until around half way or further through the sweep. Seeing as how this is only 90° to begin with, this only leaves 30-45° of usable adjustment. This makes it a little more difficult to accurately select precise outputs than in other versions of this interface. It is by no means unusable, but definitely could stand some improvement.

Conclusions

In spite of its drawbacks, even this slightly flawed UI implementation is better than that found on most of the multi-click/head twist operated lights. Add in the massive output, smooth beam, and a dash of Sunwayman quality, and you definitely have a recipe for usefulness.

Sunwayman V20C

Provided for review by the kind folks at Sunwayman.

UPDATE: After reading through my review, Sunwayman requested that I ship the V20C back to them for analysis. While I have not yet heard anything about their conclusions, the V20C that was shipped back to me as a replacement is more predictable in its ramping. It still feels a little more sluggish than I would prefer, but it now activates sooner and there is a noticeable brightness increase between initial activation brightness and the midpoint of travel where it once again seems to increase more rapidly. I suspect strongly that there was some form of glitch in the first light I reviewed since this one strikes me as much more "normal".

Last edited:

Nokoff

Enlightened
very nice review AS, thanks

.....I consider this light highly optioned and probably one of the three best overall combo of features you can find in similar lights on the market at this time, ignoring for a moment the ramping degree issue. I had considered the tail with the finger grooves a plus, please expand on your camp philosophy and what trouble you had tailstanding it. I thought manuf. were moving more toward blending the two and, at least for P60 format, the one or other camp distinction is waning.

I was thinking if SWM corrects the ramping and gives it a turbo sized head like the Fenix TK21, and you have maybe a winner in this arena.

nandehutu

Newly Enlightened
I just bought it,but it wasn't bright enough.Compare with jetbeam rrt2 R5(300 lumen) and my diy r5,it was the darkest one.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Nokoff:
My opinion of these types of tailcap is that when they attempt to be adequate at both tailstanding and access, they really succeed at neither. My V20C really doesn't succeed in tailstanding well on anything other than a perfectly flat and stable countertop, whereas I have other lights with more stable rings that can stand on a mattress if I need it to.

As far as the other things go, Sunwayman has asked to see my light again to see the ramping problems first hand. I'll update here with any news that becomes of it. And personally I don't think I need a turbohead at all since the spread of light is so ideal and multipurpose with this one. I don't feel a lot of need for throwers.

@nandehutu:
Really? That surprises me. Was it actually not brighter than those lights or was it because of the wider spread of light that the hotspot wasn't as bright, but the overall output was higher? How do they compare in ceiling bounce?

flame2000

Enlightened
Glad to know that the manufacturer is taking feedback seriously & looking into the ramping issues. I would like to see Sunwayman lights driven harder like what Eagletac and Thrunite are doing right now.

g.p.

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review, and the nice pictures. I was hoping to order one of these, but have decided to wait and see what happens to the control ring issues. I also wish that Sunwayman would drive their LEDs harder. I'm guessing that they are going for longer runtimes (maybe since the control ring seems to use more juice than other UI's), but it's nice to have the lumens available when they are needed. If runtimes are what I'm after I just won't twist the ring as far.

Must say that I actually prefer the multi-role switch designs in most cases. I find that I have to bend my thumb at weird angles to access totally recessed switches. It usually ends up taking two hands, and sometimes can't be done with winter gloves on. On the other hand, I find that I just don't use my non-tailstanding lights as much. Sure the multi-role switches usually don't tail stand on all surfaces, but at least there's a chance that I can find something near by.

nandehutu

Newly Enlightened
@nandehutu:
Really? That surprises me. Was it actually not brighter than those lights or was it because of the wider spread of light that the hotspot wasn't as bright, but the overall output was higher? How do they compare in ceiling bounce?
it should be brighter than R5 indeed.however compared with eyes,it hotspot isn't bright enough.except the brightness,all other things is ok.And the magic ring also be wouldful.

MashBill

Newly Enlightened
Sold! Thanks for the review. It looks like this light has enough pros to outweigh the cons for me. There is something about the quality of a Sunwayman light. They just feel ad look right.

AaronG

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. IMO this should have been the EDC model of the T20C. As such I would have liked to see the control ring with more range and no strobe. Also a smooth tail cap like the T20C only deep enough to tailstand. If I could have one more thing it would be a cover for the grip ring threads if you want to remove it.

molon_labe

Newly Enlightened
I own the light and here is my .02 on the matter. Bottom line I like the light. Do I wish the dimmer switch bottomed out on low and then off, yes. Do I wish the dimmer switch had a wider range, yes. Do I wish it was a bit brighter at the top, yes.

With that said I like the light a bunch. Its bright enough to get the job done. Its dim enough to get the job done. It tailstands on a solid surface. Its construction is more than rock solid. The light is made awesome. I can hardly believe its Chinese made.

With that said as well it seems the Chinese always leave one or two things half-azzed. I mean come on guys send your lights out to beta testers to get them right 100% from the start.

Would I buy it again, yes!

Napalm

Enlightened
The light is made awesome. I can hardly believe its Chinese made.

It's 2011. They can make products of any quality including awesome.

The supermarts are full of crap because that's exactly what they order. Low cost, big markup, large consumer base -> huge profit. They laugh all the way to the bank while the "consumers" are busy blaming the Chinese.

Nap.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put some suggestions onto the similar Sunway T20C review thread a few months ago about the need for a full-off [and not just a standby], plus long travel 270 degree magnetic control rings a bit of a no-no, and that black annodising was a bit too common and boring - perhaps dark grey annodising better?

The Sunway V20C has a superb low micro-current standby, and a very short travel 90 degree magnetic ring.
Meanwhile the all new M40A has lovely grey/olive annodising.

It could be a co-incidence and current market trends, or Sunway is responding to input from CPF members...

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I have 6 Sunwayman lights and all of them have been perfect in regards to their finish. LEDs centered, anno done perfectly, smooth threads, crisp printing, etc... They really are one of my favorite brands and other than my issue with how the control ring works on my V20C, I have no significant complaints. I would highly recommend them to anybody, even with the stupid name.

isu

Newly Enlightened
This was my first flashlight above $45 & I must say I was a little disappointed. I expected it to blow my flashlights out of the water. It did on some aspects such as beam quality but the big thing I had been (mistakenly) looking for was a thrower. It is most certainly not set up to throw (as I have sinced learned more about). Turns out a thrower is what I really had in mind as my dream flashlight and this isn't quite it.

I share a lot of the same sentiments that others have expressed. I was disappointed with the control ring for all of the reasons mentioned. I have the same problems where the light turns on/off at different positions on the ring & the ring does most of its ramping at the very end. It also seems that the ring sort of sticks at times; as if the friction present changes between sticky & smooth. It never gets stuck at all, just less smooth.

I'm glad to hear Sunwayman is checking into these lights. I've been waiting for SWM tech to reply over on the market place as mentioned a while back.

Overall though I must say the light feels great. Its weight and construction feel very solid and I'll be keeping it despite the UI issues.

I just ordered a predator and also ordered the op reflector to go with!
grinser2.gif

I'm anxious to compare them and see how the op reflector compares!

Thanks for the review! Looking forward to hear what SWM has to say.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry this didn't turn out to be what you wanted, but yea, it wasn't really designed to be a thrower. The XM-L isn't an easy one to really focus tightly for that. My V20C has been sent back to SWM for evaluation so if I hear anything I'll let you know. I'm also getting a replacement V20C so if there is anything different about that one I'll also keep things updated.

The Armytek Predator is definitely a good light. I don't know that you will be all that interested in the OP reflector though since the SMO is the one that is designed for throw. The OP diffuses it to make a smoother, nicer (and in my opinion more useful) beam, but at the cost of distance illumination and bright center hotspot.

RBWNY

Enlightened
It also seems that the ring sort of sticks at times; as if the friction present changes between sticky & smooth. It never gets stuck at all, just less smooth.

[MY V20C doesn't do that] ... but my Nitecore IFE2 does! .. and the fact that it's very tailstand challenged.

Last edited:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi all.

I ordered mine a while back and was starting to feel maybe I shouldn't have ordered it until they fixed the ramping issue I keep reading about. I have a few of the Sunwayman lights and I think they are fantastic, but this one had me a little worried.

Well, I received it a few days ago, have had enough time to really get to play with it a bit and now I feel like the odd man out. I really like this light, especially the short rotation travel of the ramping ring!

All my other lights with ramping rings are good, but some of them you have to turn and turn and end up using two hands more times than not. But this little gem is a beauty. It really is a true single-handed operation of the ramping ring, where you have access to the whole output range with minimal turning, reasonably good control of the output and a really comfortable light to use.

Sorry to go against the tide but I like this short travelling ramping ring.

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened
Well, I received it a few days ago, have had enough time to really get to play with it a bit and now I feel like the odd man out. I really like this light, especially the short rotation travel of the ramping ring!

All my other lights with ramping rings are good, but some of them you have to turn and turn and end up using two hands more times than not. But this little gem is a beauty. It really is a true single-handed operation of the ramping ring, where you have access to the whole output range with minimal turning, reasonably good control of the output and a really comfortable light to use.

Sorry to go against the tide but I like this short travelling ramping ring.
Naw, I like it a lot, too. The one thing that does bother me is that I feel it is best used in a cigar grip, but I can't adjust the control with the same hand like that.

Now maybe if they put a control ring on the tailcap... :naughty: