Looking for new EDC to replace SureFire U2.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Been away from the forums for awhile and needing some input. I've been EDCing my SureFire U2 for about 4-5 years now and I'm looking for something to possibly replace it. I'm looking for.....

• Similar in overall size to SF U2
  • Multiple Levels
  • Lots of throw and some spill (no aspheric)
  • Bezel down carry would be preferred
  • Brighter than my U2
  • Prefer CR123s but 18650 will be considered

I live out in the sticks, so I prefer lots of throw with moderate spill. I still feel like my U2 is the almost perfect light but I'd like more power/throw. What do you recommend?

iapyx

Enlightened
wait for Show Show 2012 and see if SF comes with a replacement for the U2.
I've read on this forum that SF is probably busy with it. I'd be about time.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought several U2's and have given a couple away to family members. They have been available for very good prices new in the box online in recent months. I was just admiring a recently purchased model last night when I got home from a trip. Classic light, great beam but the venerable SSC P4 emitter could sure use an upgrade in my opinion.

The HDS Rotary will fit many of your specs, it is both dimmer and brighter than the U2 and runs great on CR123A's and RCR123's. It is smaller than the U2 and single cell in the stock configuration.

Waiting for SF to upgrade a light is often an exercise in futility from my experience, I wouldn't hold my breath. Been there, done that.:) However, there were some XP-G modded U2's on the market not long ago, that might be an option.

Like you, I also live out in the sticks. It's great to see the Milky Way while you walk with the light on a dim setting. And then turn the light up bright to see several deer and a possum in a field as I did a few hours ago.

stallion2

Enlightened
you might also consider having Milkyspit modify your light. there's literally a million different things he could do but one of his U2by2 mods might be best. four emitters of your choice paired w/ four optics of your choice and the same driver and you literally have a brand new U2. he did one for me w/ four XP-G R4's and four wide angle optics. its a pretty floody light that i had done for the purpose of mushroom hunting and this thing is absolute heaven. i know he's done several that have much better throw than mine but i doubt you'll get anything that has quite the range of the original U2 w/ the SSC emitter but then again...that thing can throw a mile. a U2by2 mod will cost about as much as a new U2 did (before SF raised prices). just another option.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the sound of it, you may have the Lux-V Version. The current U2 uses a Soul, and has brighter out-out, longer runtime, and better "stages" if you well. The U2 is hard to beat in and of itself....except for the same thing with an updated emitter.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently had my 18650 bored U2a (SSC version) modded to XP-G R4-5C neutral and it is appreciably brighter, runs longer (lower LED Vf) and still throws very well if not exactly the same as the SSC with more spill. I would consider this or an XM-L mod to be by far your best value to meet your list of wants. The quality and funtionality niggles that you will find with all the new control ring lights will make you appreciate the U2's flawless operation. Bore out your U2, upgrade to an XP-G or XM-L (I would of course recommend neutral tint while you are at it) and you will find your old friend has a whole new attitude with more flexibility and perfomance.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Bore out your U2, upgrade to an XP-G or XM-L (I would of course recommend neutral tint while you are at it) and you will find your old friend has a whole new attitude with more flexibility and perfomance.
+1

There are lots of wannabees, but nothing else is even close to the U2.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Yes, my U2 is the the Luxeon V version. I love the light but we always want more power. I've thought about sending it to Milky, but not sure I want to mod it. I waited a few years for SureFire to release the UB3 and UB4 (I think that was the model #s) but gave up. Looks like they finally released the UB3, but it's different from what I remember it originally being. I'm going to keep looking.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam and Sunwayman makes many models using a contol ring similar to the U2.
output would be higher, but the U2 has maybe the best variable brightness control design. on the plus side, the jetbeams and sunwaymans are much cheaperin price. you get what you pay for, im not saying there bad or cheap lights, but quality and warranty is not on par with SF.

Surefire LX2 or E2DL are nice little throwers for its compact size, both being in the range of 250 OTF lumens. no 18650 on these. spill is quite dim, but usable and wide.

i recently got a Armytek Predator, and its a very impressive thrower, with a narrow but bright spill.
programmable UI, comes with a holster. And bezel down clip, im not fond of the clip, and took it off.
it easily out throws my E2DL.

Malkoff hound dog is another very nice and impressive thrower. its a Malkoff, so quality, warranty, and service are great of course.

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a Milky U2se on the Custom BST right now and its got more lumens over 400 on high and IIRC its a neutral tint 2 XR-E build otherwise same U2 your used to, same batteries and a great price

I love my U2by2 its got 4 XP-E but its all flood and little throw.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
OIf you do decide to sell the U2 please send me a pm or email. I can always use just 1 more :)

It would not surprise me to see someone on c p f bring out a somewhat similar light.

Last edited:

arpy

Newly Enlightened
I wonder why no one mentiones the Fenix TA21 (223 lumens), which does have a very similar design as the U2. I own both for a few years now, but since I have the TA21, I rarely use the U2 anymore, even if it was a 400$ purchase compared to the 100$ purchase of the Fenix -- the TA21 is just way brighter (and also can run on 1*18650 recharchables). The U2 has a superior smoth beam though, but the Fenix does have a nice self defense attitude design (very sharp edges, similar to the Surefire Guardian combat versions).
Of course, there has been released the even newer TK21 (450 lumens) recently, but it does not feature the cool revolving selector and is slightly bigger.
And on top of that, the TK35 is not soooo much bigger, runs on 2*18650 and produces 820 lumens :)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
SF has there specific ring design patented...to where there's no contact at the ring, making it more water proof than other designs.
That they do ... but be patient. SF does not have the only Hall Effect sensor in the world.