Malkoff stands behind their products 100% solid American

purelite

Enlightened
Just wondering if anyone else is seeing the quality of the M61 in its larger mass production starting to slip in quality?

I recently bought an M61 and it died same day I got it. Got it replaced without too much hassle from the great dealer i bought it from. But the replacement though it works has issues also. The reflector is a mess. Its got crap all over it down near the led and it looks like someone tried to clean it up at with something because there are circular lines going around the reflector down near the reflector also but they are pretty straight and circular almost like a machine scratched them into the reflector.

I dont want to bug the dealer again on this product, they have always been great to me and they replaced this one at no cost to me, i think they have payed enough for these problems with the product.

I am just wondering of this is a trend others have started to notice with Malkoff as they have become bigger and productions has increased for them?

Update: After speaking with Gene Malkoff directly and reading everyones responses here I can truly 100% say Malkoff devices stands behind their products completely . I have never had a fast direct response from the actual owner/head of a company and it is truly amazing in this day and age

Last edited:

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Re: Disappointment with Malkoff quality of M61s

I got my m61w a few months ago and it is flawless. Pefectly centered led and the relector is like a mirror with no junk on it. I couldn't be happier. I hope your incidents are isolated.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been very happy with all 3 M61HCRI and 1 M61W which I got from Illumination Supply. Why don't you contact Gene Malkoff and see what he says? He stand by his products.

S1LVA

Enlightened

I have not noticed and decline in quality. Everything I have ever gotten from Gene is always top notch, just like their customer service.

As far as the reflector goes, if it does not affect the beam then it isn't a problem. Some of us spend too much time looking into the front of our flashlights rather than using them as what they were meant for. I used to be like that but we have to be realistic about the situation. Most recently, I took apart my brand new HDS 200 tactical and stuffed up the reflector pretty good by accident. It looks horrible but the beam looks beautiful. It bothered me at first but my flashlight performs just the way it should, and with a flawless beam too.

Is your beam affected? Is there anything else wrong with the new module?

I hope I didn't come off too harsh. That's just my $0.02

S1LVA

notrefined

Enlightened

I had Gene make me some M61HCRILL modules before they were available at illumination supply- Gene called me before shipping my order to let me know that one of them was DOA, and offering to replace it with something else if I liked (he was using the emitters I sent him, and I diden't send any spares). Gene has been more than professional in my dealings with him, and I find it hard to believe he would knowingly allow an item that was less than 100% go out with his name on it. Personally, I would ask the dealer if there was any chance you got an open box/returned item, before assuming it's a factory defect. Either way, however, I would not be surprised if Gene made good on it for you.

purelite

Enlightened

Thanx for the input guys

I am not knocking Malkoff or questioning Genes professionalism at all hopefully I am not coming across that way. i know stuff happens and I wont go into the rant about a $70 light engine having flaws. I like to support Made in America and I have always seen Gene as a great guy and Malkoff as a great design/product. I know things can change though when a place gets into overdrive and gets big fast

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

2 Hi CRI M61s from illumination supply, 1 M61 direct from Gene's website - was deal (I think 25% off) with a MD2 and hi/lo ring. Couldn't pass it up as I wanted the MD2 and hi/lo ring.

All great quality. In past bought some odd ones direct from Gene (not offered on website) and everything was great quality. Gene and his wife are great to deal with.

ishmael

Newly Enlightened

I have never experienced anything but the utmost in CS from both Malkoffs and this in clearing up mistakes I MADE in ordering, I've never had a problem from them or their products but I would be amazed to see any less. The Malkoffs are top shelf and they will stand behind all their products, no worries.

shane45_1911

Enlightened

No issues here. The ONE minor issue I had (out of almost a dozen and a half modules) was dealt with quickly, professionally, and without question by Gene himself.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I read the OP first post the first thing that struck me was, it's a return or opened boxed item and someone done damage to it by trying to wipe the reflector or something. No way do I see Gene letting something like that get out for sale. I suggest contacting Gene, I have no doubt he will make it right with you.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had an M61 die also. It only took two days and was very disappointing as it was my first Malkoff product. It was replaced without hassle and now it graces my handlebars on my bike for night rides. It's a lovely light, perfect for lighting up the road.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Must have been a customer return. Craig (illumination supply) is local to me and he brings several malkoff modules to the bay area meets for folks to demo. I have NEVER seen one in the condition that you describe. It would never leave the manufacturing line that way.

purelite

Enlightened

Oh man I hope thats not the case.

Last edited:

Over ths past two years I've purchased three Malkoff drop-in modules directly from Gene, and acquired two more more or less inadvertently (they were included as bonus items in various trades). All five are expertly crafted, and none demonstrate the flaws described by purelite.

The number of members who will confirm their positive experience with Gene and his products suggests to my mind that purelite's single flawed light engine got that way as a result of someone else's meddling.

purelite

Enlightened

I dont know

This was a packaged dropin from a reputable dealer. The immediate judgement doesnt seem 100% rock solid to me. Thes dropins are packaged for resale. It wasnt opened when I got it. These dont come in ziplock bags . I think this came from Malkoff this way.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

I have received a M61 from Malkoff headquarters with a smudge on the flat part of the orange peel, not part of the conical reflector. Is it annoying? A lil, but these smudges will happen as soon as you install a lens kit in a MD2 head. I have put prints on plenty of reflectors, while they are a eye sore, I haven't noticed any affect on the beams.

Gene and Cathy are great folks who stand by their products, if you aren't satisfied, just send it back. ;)

FWIW, my LunaSol from straight from McGizmo came with Dons DNA on the flats of that reflector too. :D

purelite

Enlightened

Yeah, I dont know. I guess I will contact Malkoff directly.

I just dont see how you can be so accepting of a $400 light having DNA all over it? There is nothing wrong with spending that kind of money for something you want and see the value in. There is something wrong with those who take that money and return a product with flaws to you the buyer. Though having the makers DNa all over it is desirable to some to me I wuld rather have a pristine specimen . I really dont think it's too much to ask . Is it a tool ? yes. Should we all just man up and shut-up and be happy with whatever we get? I dont know. Is that the American way? Didnt use to be. Is the new American way to just accept things as medieocre because thats the way it is? I guess maybe so . Welcome to the New World Oder huh?

Gene43

Enlightened

Please feel free to give us a call. I personally assure you we will take care of it.

Thanks, Gene

nbp

Flashaholic
PoliceScannerMan said:
FWIW, my LunaSol from straight from McGizmo came with Dons DNA on the flats of that reflector too. :D

His DNA? Let's clone him!!!!

Imagine what two of him could do!! :eek:oo: