• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Question about an Eiger, 10440 LI-Ion, & Eneloop batteries

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Hi everyone. This is my first post here but I have been lurking for a few weeks and I must say that this is a fine forum that you have here. I think I've been bit by the bug already if you know what I mean.(And I'm sure you do or you wouldn't be on a flashlight forum lol)

I'm a US Marine and I fly on C-130s. This will be my key chain light used along side a Fenix LD20 which is used mostly to preflight/postflight Hercs. Mostly used for short burst of light when checking various components but when the need arises, I need some decent run time at low/medium power. To be honest, the LD20 stays on "turbo" (180 lumen) for the short bursts and 94 lumen for pretty much everything else. The problem with the LD20 is the bezel keeps ripping holes in my flashlight pocket on my flight suits. I would rather leave the LD20 in my flight bag and only use it when necessary while having the Eiger around my neck.

I'll stop rambling and get down to it. I purchased an Eiger QTC SS Key medium beam from http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Eiger.html based on the research that I did here (I don't know who you are but thanks to everyone that helped me make the choice!) :wave: So now it comes time to power the torch and I'm stumped.

1. Should I use an eneloop or a 10440 LI-Ion? I know that the 10440 will be brighter but how is the run time compared to an eneloop?

2. I need a good, safe, portable charger (space is always at a premium) for whichever battery type I choose. I would also like to be able to charge 1-4 cells at a time. If it can charge AA and AAA sized batteries at the same time then that would be a huge plus. Independent channels is a must as the light only uses 1 cell at a time and I would like to keep them topped off. (please correct me if I'm wrong here)

3. Do protected 10440's even exists? If so which is the best? More so, which will fit in the Eiger? I'm reading about how there is no real "standard" when it comes to how these batteries are sized. I just want it to fit in my Eiger and not have to worry about it damaging the light in any way.

This torch will get abused which is why I was attracted to Peak in the first place. I'm known to be able to break anything and flashlights are no different. I've been through countless 2 AA sized lights of mostly lesser quality. The LD20 is holding up pretty well. I've been abusing it(not using it) since April. I'd like to get this right the first time so I come to the gurus. If I'm missing any information please LMK. Thank you all ahead of time!

Semper FI,
Colby

Norm

Retired Administrator
:welcome: Colby
Diablo_331;37031621. said:
Should I use an eneloop or a 10440 LI-Ion?
2. I need a good, safe, portable charger.
3. Do protected 10440's even exists?
Colby
2. for safety I'd stick with the Eneloops.
3. I've never seen one, it would have to be an extremely small protection circuit, I think I'm safe saying no.
Cheers Norm

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Thank you for the greetings and fast reply Norm!
Safety is number one. I can't have my Herc falling out of the sky because of a lithium fire so 10440's are out. Well that leaves me looking for a good AAA/AA eneloop charger with 4 slots, 4 channels, portable, and preferably under $50. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Curt R

Enlightened
I believe that there is a protected 10440, but I think that someone
said that it is too long for our light. The Lithium-Ion battery only has
one half the capacity of the Eneloop, however I would have both as
the light output is 65 Lumens to 300 Lumens. Both hold a charge for
a long time. Regular Lithium AAA batteries are also good to have as
a backup, cold and heat resistant.

Current draw from the AAA Lithium-Ion is 890 mAh. 350 mAh capacity.
Current draw from the AAA Enloop is about 800 mAh. 800 ? mAh capacity.
Both draws at max output.
At equal light output the current draw from the Lithium-Ion is 220 mAh.

We had C-130 and P4s at Moffit in the 60s and I crewed a Grumman
C1A Trader, (COD), off the USS Hornet in the Tonkin Gulf, so I know
what you need. We make some 2 x AAA and 2 x AA lights that are
bomb proof.

Where is you base of ops and squadron? The Marine Corps uses Red
and Blue wands for directing, we used white as does the US Air Force.

Curt

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I wasn't aware of protected 10440's either, but a quick search of Battery Junction's site finds that they carry Trustfire 600mah cells PCB-protected to operate between 2.5-4.25 volts.

Still, I would agree with the advice to stick with Eneloop NiMH cells as safer for the conditions you describe.

An AAA Eneloop won't be as bright as the 10440 would, but will run substantially longer (800 mah). Li-Ion chemistry does not tolerate abuse very well. The MAHA-C9000 charger would be a great choice to consider (1-4 independent AAA/AA bays) to use with the Eneloops.

I don't use 10440's in my Eiger, personally. However, the keychain body may be a bit bigger than the pocket and lug bodies, but I am uncertain if even that version is big enough to fit the protected version of those cells.

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Is the fact that the eneloops are 1.2volts a bad thing when compared to the typical 1.5 volt alks? Do I have other options or should I stick to the eneloops?

If I choose to go with the eneloops then what do you think about the Sanyo MQR06 AA sized charger? I'm assuming that it will charge AAA size just fine with an adapter? Could I charge both AAA and AA at the same time with it?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Curt has the advise you should follow. Eneloops, lithium primaries as backup, and a 10440 for when you need the extra oomph.

Don't worry about the 1.2v from a Nimh as opposed to an alkaline. The alkaline will exhibit voltage drop when under load (brining it to a nominal 1.2v) and the Nimh will not.

As for a charger for the Eneloops, I'd try to find a Duracell CEF23. It fits all of your charging criteria. I think they are out of production, but do show up in the MP frequently.

The best way I have found to carry a spare battery is in a HA lug body with a Delrin cap, and a small carabiner. Call Bob at RMSK and ask him to get some.

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I believe that there is a protected 10440, but I think that someone
said that it is too long for our light. The Lithium-Ion battery only has
one half the capacity of the Eneloop, however I would have both as
the light output is 65 Lumens to 300 Lumens. Both hold a charge for
a long time. Regular Lithium AAA batteries are also good to have as
a backup, cold and heat resistant.

Current draw from the AAA Lithium-Ion is 890 mAh. 350 mAh capacity.
Current draw from the AAA Enloop is about 800 mAh. 800 ? mAh capacity.
Both draws at max output.
At equal light output the current draw from the Lithium-Ion is 220 mAh.

We had C-130 and P4s at Moffit in the 60s and I crewed a Grumman
C1A Trader, (COD), off the USS Hornet in the Tonkin Gulf, so I know
what you need. We make some 2 x AAA and 2 x AA lights that are
bomb proof.

Where is you base of ops and squadron? The Marine Corps uses Red
and Blue wands for directing, we used white as does the US Air Force.

Curt
Great info Curt! I'm stationed at NAS JRB Fort Worth TX. VMGR 234 is my squadron. I fly on the old "T" models. It's great to see someone that has been there and done that and knows what our military needs making flashlights. Just one more reason that I can't wait to see this little unassuming work of art light up! I'll pick up so eneloops and some lithium primaries for backup.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I should also add that the folks over at RMSK inc. are on top of their stuff! I placed my order at 2am and I got a shipping notification at 9am the same day. 2 day shipping ftw! I will be going back for any and everything Peak!

Last edited:

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the record, goinggear.com sell the Trustfire 600 mAh as well. I tried one in my Eiger and while it did work, it almost exposed the o-ring. I think it makes a reasonable, protected option, but I would not use it as a duty cell.

eala

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, welcome to CPF. Might I suggest a 2XAAA Eiger Penlight with a momentary switch? Try a single power level - your choice. With 3.0v on alkalines you'd have tons of light and quite some runtime. Even with a couple of Eneloops output would be great.

And Semper Fi!

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Ill be going with the eneloops for sure with some lithiums for backups. I know I'll end up with the double aaa tube for the extra output and run time eventually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I suggest a 2xAAA Eiger Penlight with a momentary switch?
These are not available anywhere that I can find. Although RMSK has photos of the 2xAAA battery tubes on the site, they aren't in stock and cannot be back ordered. I've tried.

However, Diablo_331, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new 1xAAA Eiger, and at some point you might want to try out a 10440 just to see how bright that little guy can get, at least while you're not on duty :).

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I would like to thank everyone here for the warm welcome and the great advice. I am still in search of a charger for my eneloops. How does the Sanyo MQR06 stack up? As far as I can tell, it's the best one Sanyo offers. If I were to get the one for AA sized cells, would it charge AAA cells with an adapter? I can't see why it wouldn't but it never hurts to ask. Also, if this is the case, where can I find said adapters without making them myself?

EDIT: How is the
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Targus Digital TG-LCD2700? It's cheap enough and even discharges before charging.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sanyo MQR06-E-4-4UTG looks like exactly what you want (that's the one that comes with 4xAAA batteries). Some chargers force you to charge 2 cells at at time, and all the cells get an identical charge regardless of each cells initial charge status, but the MQR06 will charge each cell individually according to it's needs, and will charge 1 cell at at time (or 2 or 3 or 4).

The MQR06 will charge BOTH AA and AAA batteries, no adapter needed. There are some small indents closer together that work for the AAA cells. Neat.

The problem, however, seems to be finding one. I couldn't locate one in the US. Be wary of the MQN06..... similar, but I don't think it has individual charging channels.

I own one of the early Sanyo chargers, and it's worked great for me for the last 5 years. For the most up to date info on the MQR06, and possible alternatives, you might want to check out the "Flashlight Electronics-Batteries Included" section of CPF:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?9-Flashlight-Electronics-Batteries-Included

There are lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks over there who will help direct you to the right charger. I imagine they will suggest the Maha MH-C9000, a favorite around CPF.

In case you want a bit more battery info, here is an excellent resource:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I've decided on the BC-700 for my charging duties. I'll be purchasing the unit tomorrow. You guys have slayed my flashlight budget lol. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Semper Fi,
Colby

beerwax

Enlightened
I would like to thank everyone here for the warm welcome and the great advice. I am still in search of a charger for my eneloops. How does the Sanyo MQR06 stack up? As far as I can tell, it's the best one Sanyo offers. If I were to get the one for AA sized cells, would it charge AAA cells with an adapter? I can't see why it wouldn't but it never hurts to ask. Also, if this is the case, where can I find said adapters without making them myself?

EDIT: How is the
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Targus Digital TG-LCD2700? It's cheap enough and even discharges before charging.
[/FONT]

the mqr06 is a good charger and will look after your eneloops and other nimh nicely. it has 4 independant channels and choice of charge rates and works with aa and aaa size. and its compact and simple.
cheers

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Thanks for the link Derek Dean. There's loads of battery info on that site. I just spent a few hours reading through some of it. Alot of it was news to me.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your welcome, Colby. Yep, that's a great site, and with the large number of battery choices available these days it's a good idea to arm yourself with as much quality information as you can get.

Have fun!

Diablo_331

Enlightened
For anyone who cares, I still haven't decided on a charger but I'm learning a ton along the way. The one I'm currently most interested in the La Crosse Technology BC1000 but there isn't alot of info as far as reviews go on the web. I know the c9000 is a little cheaper but it is massive compared to the BC1000 so the size and similar features of the BC1000 are looking pretty good.