Strobe Only Flashlight?

Kenny.shen12398

Newly Enlightened
Hi, im looking for a flashlight that is either strobe only, or has a strobe mode extremely easy to get to. im looking to put on the night stand as a go to light for any self defense situation where i need to get access to the strobe mode really fast, i dont want to be fumbling with any complicated ways to get to the strobe, like for instance the mini 123. im looking for something that uses AA batteries and is preferably under the $40 mark. Thanks so much in advance for your help. Thanks!

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Kenny.Shen12398 :)

I'll move your thread to our LED Flashlights section, as that is what you will require for an effective strobe.

Please would you (and members replying here) refrain from any discussion of self-defense in this thread. Now that you have mentioned it, members will understand what you are looking for. Further comment on methods of self-defense will not be permitted here.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only one that comes to mind is the Nextorch Mytorch where you can program the light with your computer.
2AA model is on sale at Battery Junction right now for just shy of $40.
Very easy to program with the usb cable.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second that, the NexTorch myTorch AA can be set to be strobe-only. I don't think there are any more, as a strobe-only light is not a very useful illumination tool.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Hi!

4Sevens Tactical lights can be programmed to just strobe modes. It's easy and the strobe modes will always be there until you re-program it.
Quark AA Tacticals hits 57 $, a little bit over your budget, but it's a great light :) And with a 14500 3,7 V Li-ion battery it will blast out many more lumens than it will on a standard AA battery :)

tam17

Enlightened
Check out JetBeam PA01 (1*AA, 4-mode pocketable reverse clicky with last-used-mode memory).

140lm, 11Hz strobe can be memorised so it comes on first.

Cheers,

Tam

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!

4Sevens Tactical lights can be programmed to just strobe modes. It's easy and the strobe modes will always be there until you re-program it.
Quark AA Tacticals hits 57 $, a little bit over your budget, but it's a great light :) And with a 14500 3,7 V Li-ion battery it will blast out many more lumens than it will on a standard AA battery :)

I was thinking the same thing. The quarks with the "Tactical" user interface (UI) has 2 outputs (head tight & head loose.) You can program either setting in seconds, and have a lot of output levels to choose from (moonlight, low, medium, high, max, SOS, beacon, and Strobe.) Any of these can be programmed for the head tight or head loose setting. So for your uses you could have head tight = Strobe, and head loose = Max. Just leave the head tight, and when you press the button you get it the strobe instantly. If you just need light then loosen the head a little.

For your uses I'd get the Quark AA2 Tactical. This uses 2 AA batteries, and is 205 lumens. If you get the Quark AA (which uses 1 AA battery and is my favorite) you'd need to invest in Li-ion rechargeable batteries and a charger for it to be as bright as the Quark AA2. If you don't want to spend the money on rechargeables then the Quark AA2 Tactical is going to be your best option as it uses standard AA batteries.

Only problem is that the quark is over your budget, BUT it is well worth the extra money. If you use the CPF discount code (cpf8) when ordering from 4sevens.com then you will get an additional 8% off plus 4sevens ships for free. Go to 4sevens.com to check em out.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark tactical, as others have stated, would be worth the extra money over the Nextorch. Nextorch is a reverse clicky, while the tactical Quark is a forward clicky. Also, the Quark is more robust, has been out longer, and has a proven track record. I have both the 2AA Nextorch, and the AA Quark tactical, and if I were in your position, I would spend the little extra on the Quark.

JNieporte

Enlightened
Kenny;

As part of the survival kit for troops who risk capture behind enemy lines, the Army issues (at least they did in 2004) a one D-cell beacon light. It's LED, plastic, orange-cased with a spring-loaded attachment, magnet, and clear unscrewable dome. It's strobe only, at one pulse per second. Has a slide switch on the side. I know this is larger than you're looking for, but if you want one, PM me your address. No charge; I have three of them just taking up space.

Xacto

Enlightened
Although over your budget, but surely the best UI would be either the Blackhawk Gladius, Ledwave PEL-6 or Thrunite Scorpion.

within your budget, but maybe a few clicks to far (Low-Med-High-Strobe) iTP SA-1 or SA-2.

Cheers
Thorsten

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I know my suggestion will not really compare to some of the amazing lights others will suggest, but I own a light that seems to fit your requirements and I'm pretty happy with it.

The latest version of the Inova T1 (and probably the rest of the T series) has 2 light levels (120 L and 16L) First press gets high, another press gets low, but a quick double press of the button gets you the strobe mode. It's a solid light and it's pretty cheap, but I'm sure there's better lights out there, I'm not sure if they'll be cheaper though.

I don't know how you'll tell if you buy one online, but make sure you get the one with the multiple modes. The previous version with no modes had the same model number ("T1").

yliu

Enlightened
The Fenix TK12 goes straight to strobe if you have it in Hunting mode with head loosened.

Jetbeam PC25 also can go instantly to strobe if you press the secondary button while the light is off.