When is the mini maglite pro coming out?

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
I didn't know about a Mini Mag Pro. Do you have any details on this? Specs?

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
Looks like it's going to still be the longer LED style body and head. I prefer to just mod the older Incan models because they are shorter overall.

carrot

Flashaholic
Cool. Looking forward to this because the standard Maglite Mini LED is a pretty decent loaner but the UI is stupid.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really do like the mini maglite led's, at first. They really are nice lights for the price, but there's a serious issue with them which keeps me from buying anymore of them. I started this post before but it really didn't seem to generate much interest. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316946-MiniMag-LED-unreliability-problem-solved

This new model looks very interesting but I am hoping it doesn't exhibit the same issues as I have experienced with earlier models, unfourtnally it seems to be the same general design so it more than likely will

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
Just get a Terra Lux clicky end cap. Problem solved. They only cost a few dollars and it's much easier to scroll through the modes. Just adjust the head to the beam you want and leave it there. Or you can do the washer mod. Either way you are not using the head all the time wearing out the contact point.

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I really do like the mini maglite led's, at first. They really are nice lights for the price, but there's a serious issue with them which keeps me from buying anymore of them. I started this post before but it really didn't seem to generate much interest. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316946-MiniMag-LED-unreliability-problem-solved

This new model looks very interesting but I am hoping it doesn't exhibit the same issues as I have experienced with earlier models, unfourtnally it seems to be the same general design so it more than likely will

I put a terralux tle5ex in my older minimag a few years ago and it failed when the contacts broke due to the head assembly. I contacted the terralux folks by email and they sent me a new dropin. The new unit has two very beefy contacts that look like little barrels to prevent the breakage from the head being screwed down. I did install a tailcap switch when I first modded the flashlight but the head occassionally needs to be turned.
I think the single CR123A, or 18650 flashlights I own are far more compact and versatile that the LED minimag, but for a sturdy, well made, simple to use, AA, belt holstered flashlight, the minimag is a practical unit. A few years ago I sent my older daughter off to college with a 3 D Cell Maglite with a terralux LED. This fall I will be sending my younger daughter off to college with the minimag LED. No need for the big maglite aside from using it as a club!

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just get a Terra Lux clicky end cap. Problem solved. They only cost a few dollars and it's much easier to scroll through the modes. Just adjust the head to the beam you want and leave it there. Or you can do the washer mod. Either way you are not using the head all the time wearing out the contact point.

Not a fix. Sure it would considerably take wear and tear off the LED contact plate, but it would still eventually wear after time. One will still have to periodically adjust the beam after sliding the light in and out of your pocket, giving the light to someone and them giving it back, making sure it's still in focus etc, etc. Wouldn't you still have to twist the bezel if you wanted to change the output mode? I don't know, if you did that would be another contributing factor. If the light only had one optimum focus point and was a single mode then the tailcap switch would be a fix, but since the mag has the adjustable focus one would still more than likely be fumbling with the focus at times making sure it's at it's optimum point, thus making wear on the contact plate after time.

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
I use mine on a daily basis and never have to readjust the beam. If the washer mod is done the bezel never gets uses at all and stays locked in one place. Either way the clicky is used for changing the modes.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine on a daily basis and never have to readjust the beam. If the washer mod is done the bezel never gets uses at all and stays locked in one place. Either way the clicky is used for changing the modes.

Is there any change in brightness after installing the terralux tailcap? I never used one and didn't know how much resistanse one would add. And could you explain the washer mod you're talking about?

Schuey2002

Enlightened
I was really hoping that they'd update the look of the mini-mag completely, not just stuff it with new guts...

Last edited:

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
Is there any change in brightness after installing the terralux tailcap? I never used one and didn't know how much resistanse one would add. And could you explain the washer mod you're talking about?

I notice no change at all with the Terra Lux tailcap, but some have said they experienced some loss with the Nite Ize unit.
The washer mod actually doesn't apply here as it is done to the older Incan models, not the newer LED. It was simply installing a washer underneath the "do not remove" piece so the bezel can be tightened down all the way without shutting off the light.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice no change at all with the Terra Lux tailcap, but some have said they experienced some loss with the Nite Ize unit.
The washer mod actually doesn't apply here as it is done to the older Incan models, not the newer LED. It was simply installing a washer underneath the "do not remove" piece so the bezel can be tightened down all the way without shutting off the light.

So the washer mod won't work with the LED mini mag? That's a shame, guess the terralux tailcap would only be a partial fix then.

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
You could just put a small dab of the weaker formula loctite on there. Just a dab... Adjust the beam... Let it dry.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
just use teflon tape on the threads to hold the head in place.

Get a Kroll switch, you'll love it.

I called Mag last week about this and they said it would be another few weeks until it's release.