Why would you want a variable frequency strobe?

samhane

Newly Enlightened
From researching a few lights I've noticed that some have a variable strobe how is that any better or worse than a regular set strobe? What is the reasoning and the pros and cons of each? I don't kid myself thinking that the strobe is going to stun and shut anyone down but I do think it buys you a couple extra seconds you might need. I would think a faster constant strobe would put more blue dots in someones line of sight than a slower strobe. Or by being variable it doesn't allow the eyes to adjust?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For some strange reason they just seem more disorienting to me. Maybe the changing frequency keeps your brain playing catch-up.

Geoff

swedish169

Newly Enlightened
Can you post a link? I could use a variable freq strobe.

In industry, we use it to freeze rotational equipment, for example, if you have a spinning grinding stone that turns at 800rpm, and you put a 800hz strobe on it, the wheel will appear stationary even though its still spinning. I'ts pretty neat, you can inspect it while still in operation, although every now and then some fool tries to touch it and gets their fingers chopped off.

swedish169

Newly Enlightened
i'm a plant engineer, and we use strobes to freeze equipment in place while it's still running. if you've never seen it done before it's kinda neat to watch. say you've got grinding stone spinning at 1200rpm, and you need to inspect it for defects. you set your strobe to 1200hz and it's make it look stationary. every now and then some fool will get confused and touch it and get their fingers mashed up.

if you need to find the rotational speed, you just adjust the strobe freq until you see it freeze. it's pretty neat because the thing appears to be spinning slower and slower as your strobe approaches the right frequency, and if you overshoot it'll appear to start turning the other way.

if you would be so kind a to post a few links i'd appreciate it. i could really use a variable strobe flashlight, so long as the strobe range meets my needs.

Xacto

Enlightened
I could imagine that in an environment with many flashing lights (The Strip in Las Vegas?), a light flashing at an irregular intervall might get more attention.

Cheers
Thorsten

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tk60 has variable strobe and it darn near makes you vomit. It goes slow then really fast and then slow in a cycle. It's 800 lumens too which sux if someone points it at you.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you post a link? I could use a variable freq strobe.

When they say "variable strobe" they don't mean infinitely variable like you mean. It's a two phase alternating (or oscillating) strobe rate -- like several of the new Fenix lights:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-TK41-with-measurements-and-outdoor-beamshots
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...eview-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-DETAILED-COMPARISONS
The TK41 for instance, when on strobe, alternates between 6.8hz and 15.8hz.
As do the TK35, TK60, TK70... In fact all of the newer Fenix TK__ lights I think.
I think the goal is to disorient an assailant more?
The 6.8/15.8 strobe on the TK70 disorients the heck out of me!!! At 2200 lumens!

Last edited:

samhane

Newly Enlightened
When they say "variable strobe" they don't mean infinitely variable like you mean. It's a two phase alternating (or oscillating) strobe rate -- like several of the new Fenix lights:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-TK41-with-measurements-and-outdoor-beamshots
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...eview-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-DETAILED-COMPARISONS
The TK41 for instance, when on strobe, alternates between 6.8hz and 15.8hz.
As do the TK35, TK60, TK70... In fact all of the newer Fenix TK__ lights I think.
I think the goal is to disorient an assailant more?

Sorry swedish169 but I doubt any of the lights I'm talking about meet your needs. I was asking because the light I was thinking of getting for work said it had a variable strobe which I imagine maxed out at like 15 hz and was curious as to why you'd want variable over a fixed strobe rate and if one was better, etc. I'm new to the light thing and trying to learn what I can about all the functions and options the new lights have kinda crazy all the options you have now

Tripwik

Newly Enlightened
Swedish169- I have also been looking for a light that I can control the strobe on at the frequencies your talking about. I am an engineer with the US Navy and a lot of the pumps and generators cant be stopped for minor inspections. We have to use bulky strobe tachometers for our equipment now which are totally unreliable, thanks to Uncle Sam. I havent found any lights as of yet, it might be something we could talk an adventurous modder into though!