Zebralight SC51 switch question/problem

suzukiltd

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased the SC51w. I really like this light EDC but I have one problem. The switch seems very sensitive and will sometime turn on in my pocket. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Thank you.

Lighteous

Enlightened
The only solution is to slightly loosen the tailcap to initiate lockout. This is a recurring complaint about an otherwise nearly perfect light. If you search CPF threads related to this and certain other models of ZebraLight you see this complaint over and over. Unfortunately lockout is the only solution that I am aware of.

Welcome to CPF!

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
I've been locking-out since day one and never had any problems, but only because I read all the advice here before buying my SC51. It's partly because the switch is just a little too exposed, and partly because it's on the opposite side of the clip, so when you clip-carry the light the button is rubbing up against your thigh all the time. A slight turn of the tailcap solves the problem.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
ejzevo.jpg

fixes the problem once and for all. no more twisting

suzukiltd

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like locking out is the simple answer. Overclocker what mod did you do to recess the switch?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
no didn't recess the switch, i just installed a ring. locks out even my thumb. i now fire it using my trigger finger.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... I just added this o-ring just a few days ago for that very same reason. I just carefully superglued it to the chrome ring around the switch boot. It hasn't come off yet, and it hasn't turned on accidentally either, but it's only been a few days.

It took awhile to get used to the different feel of the switch, but I can still use my thumb as I have small hands.

dsc01309e.jpg

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Nice fix lite_me. That looks pro, as if it came from the factory like that. I'm hoping from now on all Z.L.'s come with their smaller & heavier switch instead. In the meantime OP better start locking out!

s2f6oj.jpg

Dan FO

Enlightened
I lock mine out all the time. It prevents 2 things.

1. accidental turning on of the light

2. all parasitic drain of the battery

It's the perfect solution for me. I can unlock it and turn it on with one hand at the same time.