Bushnell 165 vs 200

saltysteve

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys I'm new. Ive searched but I can't seem to find any info on explaining the difference between a Bushnell 165 vs a 200.

Of course it states on the fact sheet a difference on lumens but ...

How is it possible that they both use the same batteries and run the same length of time???

Is it that much brighter if so??
$55 for 165
$75 for 200

Thanks for any help!
And please do mention if you think there is a better bang for the buck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

saltysteve

Newly Enlightened
Bushnell customer service never seems to answer!?!

saltysteve

Newly Enlightened
How can I find out about thus light on this large light site? I figured this would be the place to get answers

AaronG

Enlightened
I think your main problem is that bushnell isn't a popular flashlight brand around here. It is quite possible that you could get more light from the same batteries with a different LED.
165 or 200 lumens is nothing to write home about from a 2 cr123 light. Was there a certain aspect of the light that appeals to you?

If your not set on bushnell I would look at something different. Maybe a Fenix? You'd get more light and multiple brightness settings. (200 lumens all the time is kind of annoying and hard on batteries)

Last edited:

saltysteve

Newly Enlightened
Hey man thanks for the reply. I have a buddy with thus light and I have used it for a short while. Its really bright!

What I find attractive about it aside from that is it throws a square light instead of a circle.

On a YouTube video someone mentioned it being way brighter than his finnex which had even more lumens.

I'm looking for an impressive light for under $100 and the Bushnell is impressive at only $55_ $75.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 35 lumen gain from 165 to 200 is not that worth it, it will be barely noticeable due to logarithmic response of retina to increasing brightness (like dB for sound). I say, go for the $55 and pocket the $20 diff.

The Bushnells are pretty solid build and have HAIII. Not bad.

saltysteve

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, it does seem really nice for the money! And I heard that so many other makers are way overrated but not Bushnell. That's way o thought the extra 35 lumens might make a nice difference. Have you had any experience with these HD torches? Id love to see a review one the 165 vs the 200.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
square beam = optic used.
there are a few of these, Palm Flashlights (Palm Blaze, f.e.) also do this,
or lights with lenses and focusing beam

note: these beams have a few disadvantages.
Normally its beam only and no spill light around.
I dont like such beams and think they are worse than the normal main beam + spill around that comes from a reflector.

... was not able to find anything concerning "Bushnell 200", on the HP there is no mention of flashlights at all :thinking:

... today I would no longer opt for a led light that does not offer (at least) a low and a high

Last edited:

saltysteve

Newly Enlightened
square beam = optic used.
there are a few of these, Palm Flashlights (Palm Blaze, f.e.) also do this,
or lights with lenses and focusing beam

note: these beams have a few disadvantages.
Normally its beam only and no spill light around.
I dont like such beams and think they are worse than the normal main beam + spill around that comes from a reflector.

... was not able to find anything concerning "Bushnell 200", on the HP there is no mention of flashlights at all :thinking:

... today I would no longer opt for a led light that does not offer (at least) a low and a high

i like the fact that there is no spill light - it seems clear and crisp and makes you consentrate only on what you are shinning at. I did wish that it had a high and low but i can go without low. high is more important to me. thanks for the info- im going to check out the Palm Blaze as well.

AaronG

Enlightened
Looking at the info I can find it seems the only real difference is that the 200 is 35 lumens brighter. It's a really small difference, but it is a difference. Basically unless you had them side by side you wouldn't know.

Oh and palm blaze is crap! The output was really low, nowhere near what it was rated. Also it flickered and only came on full brightness if you held just the right pressure on the switch. I exchanged it for another one and it was just as bad. I eventually gave mine away because it wasn't even good enough to use as a spare.

Last edited:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The square beam will get you the most throw/distance for a given led and drive level. It has its purpose and can be very useful at times - when you want to light something in a more targeted/discreet fashion, when you need extra reach. It may not be as good for a general purpose light, for that I personally really favor bright flood lights (like the 1000Lumen SureFire L5 tri-MC-E Milkyspit in my sig), but sometimes you do need a throwy light.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw, I used to have a 80 lumen Bushnell back in the day, and that one had multiple levels, and even a glow battery indicator on the tailcap.

However, if these Bushnells you're looking at are single-mode, I think that's really no problem, and in fact is a plus. On my throw light, it's a single-stage, and I find the simplicity very useful. You lend it to someone, no confusion, click on, click off. And, compounded with this, is that a throwy light on low is not all that useful in my opinion, save for longer battery life, because you're using a throw light to get distance anyway, so you want max power typically.

saltysteve

Newly Enlightened
I wound up scoring a mint 165 for $25 shipped!

We'll see how it goes with my first nice light!