Help a cop pick a new duty light

maxpower

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all!

I'm relatively new here but have been lurking for quite a while and really enjoy the forum. I've learned a lot and have been introduced to a lot of brands and had no clue lights have gotten so incredible.

With all that said, I need a new light for work. I currently have a Fenix TK-12 that I carry on my duty belt and love it versus the Surefire incandescent I was issued. I used to carry a Streamlight LED Stinger which is basically the LEO standard light but my partner lost it in a foot chase a while ago. Thus, I'm on the hunt for a new and maybe improved light. I thought the Stinger was a terrific light but as we all know there is always something bigger and badder out there. hah.

** I would like something comparable in length to the Streamlight as I like to have a little longer light to tuck it under my arm in order to keep my hands free when conducting business.

** Possibly rechargeable but this isn't a necessity

** Decent runtime with max output

** $150 or less

** Durable (its going to get dropped and used but hopefully not abused)

I am currently considering the Fenix TK40 or 50, the Jetbeam M1-X and of course the Stinger again.

I would love to hear your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions. Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

g.p.

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!!! :)

If the TK40 isn't too big, check out the new TK41. It has buttons on the side which can be used underhand or overhand. It also throws ALOT further than the TK40, and it would be perfect for looking down a back alley. The tighter beam would be better for blinding bad guys too. Even though it's a thrower, the beam isn't pencil thin like some have suggested. There is lots of useable spill, it's just that the tight hot spot is much brighter. I find it to be my perfect all around light when size isn't the bigger issue.

If you do go with the TK40 or TK41, pick up some Eneloops for it...and if you've got Enloops, pick up a Zebralight SC51 to have on you at all times. It easily fits in your shirt or pants pocket, and easily out performs the old 3D Maglites. It's crazy for it's size, and you won't even notice that you are carrying it when you don't need it.

If you would consider 18650's, then there are lots of great lights that can be easily worn on a belt that won't disappoint. The TK21 ot TK15 would be two of my top picks. The Zebralight SC600 is an amazing light, but is probably too small to easily hold in your armpit. I've also had great luck with my Solarforce lights (reliabilty wise). They are like Lego and you can mix and match them to get what you want. They have some crazy sharp and crazy big bezels that would be great for self defence. It may be hard to explain how your flashlight caused all those injuries though....

Last edited:

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix TK21 has problems with 18650. Regulation drops from turbo to high very early with some cells.

g.p.

Enlightened
The Fenix TK21 has problems with 18650. Regulation drops from turbo to high very early with some cells.
Most of the new high power 18650 XML lights have this issue. This has absolutely nothing to do with the TK21, it has to do with cheap cells that can't handle the current draw. Buy non-regulted cells (if you want to be cheap), or go with AW's or other high quality cells.

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
Most of the new high power 18650 XML lights have this issue. This has absolutely nothing to do with the TK21, it has to do with cheap cells that can't handle the current draw. Buy non-regulted cells (if you want to be cheap), or go with AW's or other high quality cells.
OK, it works well with a new AW cell. I think that for law enforcement it would be better to use IMR cells that do not need protection circuits which could break. Then also the TK21 should work.

houtex

Enlightened
I carry 3.
On the belt, JetBeam BC40.
In the car,then on the ring for certain scenes, a Techjunkie modded SL20 w/ an XM-L. Bright as a Thrunite Cat V2 but robust and rechargeable.
In my pocket, a P60 host of some type,as a final back-up.

The SL and the BC are good search lights for bigger scenes but the BC has a low for looking in vehicles.
Plus the length of the BC lets you tuck it under your arm when you need free hands to do something else.
The P60 host is there in case all other fail or get lost lost.

Jay611j

Enlightened
My fav is still the Stinger LED DS just because of the fact that I can keep it charging in the car. I recently picked up a Fenix TK35 and it is really useful during hotstops or rabbits. Its a small sun! Good luck!

maxpower

Newly Enlightened
My fav is still the Stinger LED DS just because of the fact that I can keep it charging in the car. I recently picked up a Fenix TK35 and it is really useful during hotstops or rabbits. Its a small sun! Good luck!

Yea I tell you that's a major consideration of mine. I love the output of the Fenix TK40 but the rechargeable aspect of the Stinger is a major selling point.

Houtex, I do however like your idea of carrying a smaller light in a pocket if needed. I HATE running the Fenix out of batteries when I need a light. Especially since the only other light I have right now is a crappy incandescent one.

I really appreciate the input guys, I am just learning about the different options out there and have recently really gotten into high quality lights. Keep the advice coming, its much appreciated!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I'm supposed to say this but I'm selling two TK40's with batteries and charger for 125 each in the marketplace. With that said, I think it's a great light and it has several levels which makes it very useful. Very bright light.

IF you go this route, I would also recommend a smaller pocket light, just in case you forget this one in the car or something. The ITP R01 is a great light and USB rechargeable which means you can charge it from your laptop. It's very bright and small http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-r01.html

I also like the Zebralight SC30. SUPER small and also the 4sevens Quark AA with a 14500 it is super bright. All these except the R01 have a low mode and yes, my local cops have tried and liked all these lights including one cop that never paid me for my SC30...talk about setting a good example...

Good luck and be careful out there :)

George

aimxplode

Enlightened
Yea I tell you that's a major consideration of mine. I love the output of the Fenix TK40 but the rechargeable aspect of the Stinger is a major selling point.

Houtex, I do however like your idea of carrying a smaller light in a pocket if needed. I HATE running the Fenix out of batteries when I need a light. Especially since the only other light I have right now is a crappy incandescent one.

I really appreciate the input guys, I am just learning about the different options out there and have recently really gotten into high quality lights. Keep the advice coming, its much appreciated!

I got my Fenix TK41 a week ago, and i have to say, this thing throws like a beast. Buy a set of AA Eneloops and an 8-slot charger, and you can swap out the batteries very quickly.

You should also carry a small side light. I would recommend a Jetbeam RRT-0, it can accept AA and CR123A sized batteries.

I have included links to what I'm talking about below:

Fenix TK41
Jetbeam RRT-0
Maha 8-slot Charger
Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

Good luck. Keep us updated on your decision!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of cops I talk to seem to HAVE to have something with rechargeable battery which I understand but as long as these lights last these days, I'm thinking that having a second set of batteries in the car, ready to go would solve the problem, ESPECIALLY if you have a small backup light that's ready too. Besides, if you get an inverter, you can have your regular charger sitting in the car too :)

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help A Cop Pick A New Duty Light

Have you given any consideration to Pelican? You could get a Pelican 7060 for the belt and a Pelican 8060 for the car. Both are rechargeable. The larger Pelican 8060 will also use 4 C size cells, if you like.

ed9957

Newly Enlightened
Re: Help A Cop Pick A New Duty Light

I have the Jetbeam BC 40. It's a great light and an easy light to switch from med to high power. The ability to hold it under one arm is also handy. It would make a good duty light, get a smaller light to keep on your belt as a back up. Lots of options for a smaller light, be sure that it has an easy way to switch from high to low, I prefer the simple twist of the head such as Jetbeam and the Quark Tactical. Also it must have a true momentary switch....

Ed

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
Just throwing this out there, I recently put the TerraLux TLE-100-S-MM in my old Streamlight SL20xp, I know this drop in is made for the sl20x (Metal version), but I made it work. The drop in http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-110-smm.html
is super bright (600 lm), has 3 modes, and great run time, even on high. The light would be long enough to put under your arm. http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-sl-20x-flashlights.html
I know there are better lights out there, but the fact that you can have it on the in car charger at all times and ready to go is great, and with that drop in, believe me you will see what you need to see. Then on low under your arm you can write.

Seventy2002

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying an Elektro Lumens EDC-MCE on patrol for about a year. The construction is awesome, you could beat a M*g to death with it. This light is too tough, and too simple, to break. You want a flashlight that always works, just as you want a pistol that always works. This is it.